Hulkenberg places doubts on own F1 future

Hulk.png

Nico Hulkenberg has claimed that his future may lie in the World Endurance Championship if he continues to struggle to find a competitive Formula One drive.

Despite being regularly touted for success in Formula One off the back of several impressive performances and a stellar rookie career which more than rivals current World Champion Lewis Hamilton's, Hulkenberg has regularly been overlooked for top drives.

Meanwhile his 2015 Force India seems to be a step down from last years car, with Hulkenberg and team mate Sergio Perez finishing last weekends Bahrain Grand Prix 12th and 8th compared to their 5th and 3rd placed finishes in 2014.

Hulkenberg said that whilst his goal is still 'to win races and become world champion... maybe (Porsche) is a new home for the future', before adding that has not been in contact with any teams over a drive for 2016.

On his chances for the rest of the Formula One season, Hulkenberg admitted that 'it is not an easy situation' and that 'the reality is that right now we are simply too slow and can't do very much.'

Hulkenberg will make his Porsche and WEC debut at the 6 Heures de Spa-Francorchamps in two weeks time.

We'll have a better assessment once Force India rolls out the upgrades on their car. Up until last season, Hulkenberg always seemed to have a difficult start to the season, but then for whatever reason, the teams that he drove for found a big gain in the 2nd half of the season, and Hulkenberg's form began to improve drastically. Especially in 2012 and 2013.

He's desperately missing a podium finish. He's now almost at the point where he has as many starts as Sutil before he was first let go from Force India. If he gets that, or turns his season around after the summer break again, he'll be out of danger - but it's a tall ask this year.

Hulk in WEC would be nice. He's wasting his talents in F1 at the moment unless he gets a seat with Mercedes or Ferrari and that's probably not gonna happen. WEC is up and coming and has better racing as well.

Anyone not driving a Ferrari or Mercedes might be wasting their talent on F1. To make it to the "Top" level in Formula 1 and still only to hope to finish in the points is not every racers dream! Every Racers Dream is to go out and be competitive Every Race and at least have a chance to Win. Am I not right??? Would You settle for Mediocrity??

Well, I'd settle for driving their pit scooters if given the chance. Heck, I'd settle for driving their pit scooter simulator. But again, if I were a talented F1 driver and could not find a good ride WEC would be my next stop. Blancpain my next one after that.

• Deleted member 130869

Not being able to move up from Force India after a few couple of excellent seasons in a row killed him. Isn't his agent the same as Schumi's? Which surprises me as that guy could really pull some stunners like Ralf being paid 20 million. Maybe the paddock caught up to him and ignored Nico for some reason, but the prospect of trading a F1 carrer in middle to back of the pack runners for a factory Porsche ride along former F1 guys doesn't seem like a downgrade.

If I was enjoying myself in the car and the money was right "Sure" because I would be doing something that I loved to do.
But isn't it generally true that the cream of the crop in motorsport are almost always obsessively competitive? Languishing as a middle pack nobody who'll be forgotten in the annals when you feel you have the talent to be a champion... shouldn't that drive most racing drivers mad and possibly into another series?

My personal take on this is that only a few teams (currently M/Benz, Ferrari and Williams) have the funding or car to be competitive.
At the back of the grid its all about pay drivers.

So Nico is in a market where there are only 3 buyers who can offer him what he wants.
Ferrari like to pay petro dollars for a star name. Either that or a subservient #2. Remember de Montezemolo was in charge when they decided against Nico. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
Mercedes Benz have two very good drivers (but one is out of contract soon!)
Williams possibly don't pay as much but on a good day can offer a podium. I sense that Massa's sponsor brings a lot to the team as well.

I believe the Hulk is paid well but for a top driver that is not enough.

It's a shame in my view as he is one of the top few. A real talent. In the M/Benz or Ferrari he would be a race winner and a potential champion. If he doesn't get a race winning car at some stage its a pity.

But isn't it generally true that the cream of the crop in motorsport are almost always obsessively competitive? Languishing as a middle pack nobody who'll be forgotten in the annals when you feel you have the talent to be a champion... shouldn't that drive most racing drivers mad and possibly into another series?
See that's the whole thing nobody who makes the field in any of the Top Tiers in Motorsports is a nobody each and everyone of them is at an elite level of competition. Not everybody can win as there are many factors to go on. You can still feel very competitive and not expect to win the race and happy and proud of yourself just to be out there.

Its not really competition if only 4 cars at the most even stand a chance of winning, pit strategy shenanigans included. To be outside of that part of the grid might as well be like being in a different league.

Its not really competition if only 4 cars at the most even stand a chance of winning, pit strategy shenanigans included. To be outside of that part of the grid might as well be like being in a different league.
Well sure I like seeing success spread around and not the same old race after race which is what most series have become. However each driver will fight to keep his seat regardless of running first or last.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 109 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 82 9.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 80 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 56 6.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 113 13.4%