Cars HUB dummies rotate continually based on steering input

I've seen a number of threads about this from 2014/2015 but none that I've been able to find contain solutions:
https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/preparation-before-sdk.11522/page-13
https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/shafts.15575/#post-271871
Here is a video of the issue:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lJtrsTEWNEEe-1Pib2Ar2t2fq1S6xuM8/view?usp=sharing
This is with USE_ANIMATED_SUSPENSIONS=1 in car.ini (I am planning to set up animated suspension but am currently using a single frame - when set to USE_ANIMATED_SUSPENSIONS=0, the SUSP dummies are displayed upside-down/mirrored).
upload_2019-1-2_21-17-7.png

I am happy to share any files that may help.
(double posted from AC forums after somebody pointed out that forum is dead)

Last edited:
I think that the Dummies axes are in the wrong direction.

Z Axis Forward or Backward, Y Axis Up, X Axis Left or right , depending of the direction of the wishbone-arm-susp if it is DIR_ or the other extreme.

See this for more information for how you have to set the direction of the dummies :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\sdk\dev\car_pipeline_2.0rev\AC_Pipeline_PUB_Rev2.0.pdf

This PDF is in that path in your game. There are a section that explain the dummies axis direction

EDIT:

Here i put some images from the PDF file
Dir_costranit_1.png
Hub_Rotation_point_1.png

Thanks Cyneo
I think that the Dummies axes are in the wrong direction.

Z Axis Forward or Backward, Y Axis Up, X Axis Left or right , depending of the direction of the wishbone-arm-susp if it is DIR_ or the other extreme.

See this for more information for how you have to set the direction of the dummies :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\sdk\dev\car_pipeline_2.0rev\AC_Pipeline_PUB_Rev2.0.pdf

This PDF is in that path in your game. There are a section that explain the dummies axis direction

EDIT:

Here i put some images from the PDF file
View attachment 285197 View attachment 285198
I've messed with the dummy orientation a bunch and resetting XForm etc. When I went to look at my file it turns out the orientation was wrong.
upload_2019-1-8_15-8-20.png

They are now oriented correctly and now everything spins the same but now on the vertical axis haha (technically closer I guess?).

I'm wondering if I should import the dummies from the example project as that helped me resolve issues with the track dummies. But I would prefer to understand what I've done wrong lol :thumbsup:

Oops, just realized there is a dumb questions thread just for issues like this!
I also noticed that @A3DR is on here... Do you remember how you fixed this issue with your Prelude?
I should also mention that this issue is present in AC editor too - even when I load animations from other car's folders so it's likely an issue with my model...

Last edited:
Pretty sure you only need the HUB objects in particular to have animation (but of course the rest of the wheel-side suspension is children of it so it all moves), and they should do a decent vertical travel through the animation.

Pretty sure you only need the HUB objects in particular to have animation (but of course the rest of the wheel-side suspension is children of it so it all moves), and they should do a decent vertical travel through the animation.
Makes sense - and it seems like it is the hubs that are messing me up since they are the parent of everything that is spinning.
I have a feeling my issue has more to do with the 3D model than the animation... I say this because the rate and direction of spinning are determined by steering input and using ksanim files from other cars causes the same result.
It is as if the angle rate is getting set instead of the angle...

I don't know why it spins wrong but yeah you need the animation and kn5 to be made from the same file. Object orientations depend on how you export it.

I had my KRB hubs spinning when I had no dedicated ksanim for that front wheel. Also in general see if everything has Scale applied to it.

I've just tried replacing all of my suspension dummies with those provided in the sample animated suspension project and am still having the same issue... Any ideas?
I made sure to remake all of the model and animation files with the new setup.

I've just tried replacing all of my suspension dummies with those provided in the sample animated suspension project and am still having the same issue... Any ideas?
I made sure to remake all of the model and animation files with the new setup.
How do you export?

upload_2019-1-10_0-42-30.png

For suspension animation I export the hub dummies and all children and for steering I add in the driver.
For the suspension I just put 3 keys on the first 3 frames and only export those frames.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 89 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 63 9.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 72 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 44 6.3%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 98 13.9%