HTC Vive Geforce 1080ti optimal settings

Authense

So fast I am slow
Hi,

there is not much out there yet for this particular combination. Most of the Youtube videos i have found are for Rift and/or Geforce 1060/1070/1080.

Maybe we can collect some settings in this thread?

Hardware: Intel Core i7 7700, MSI Geforce 1080ti 11G
Software: Windows 10 64bit

Ingame:
1920x1080
Fullscreen rendering
AA: 16 / 4 (experimental 8 in Content Manager does not improve my results)
World: Maximum
Shadows: Off
Reflections: Low / Static
Smoke: Low
Mirrors: Normal
Post processing: Off (Has no effect with my gear, maybe I am missing another setting)

Nvidia Settings:
MFAA: On
ShaderCache: On
Pre-rendered VR frames: 3D Application
Prefer maximum performance (power setting)

SteamVR settings:
(Edit vrsettings.ini and/or use SteamVR application)

ASW: On
Superscale: 3 or 4 (not much of a difference)
Rendertargetmultiplier: 3
Dashboard: Disabled
Video = Superscale (will be added as soon as OpenVR ingame has been used > 1)
Application setting for AC: 100%

I get 90 FPS (local and online) if I limit other cars to 15. Beyond this point FPS is reduced.

What about your settings? Anything missed?

Cheers,
Chris

Btw, did you ever think about trying to overclock your non k 7700?
Afaik there are some ways. No pretty ones but maybe worth a try?
LINK

Der Bauer is a German btw and one of THE international overclockers! What he says is 99,9% perfect. Have a read :)

Update: So the Kaby Lake 7700 (standard) can not be overclocked at all.

My dealer takes it back in exchange for a 7700k. I will need water-cooling with my midi-case and then I will post results with 4,8 ghz (+higher) regarding settings and FPS.

Tried Spars Supersampling and did not improve visual quality, only with 8x but then frame rate drops to 70 with 15 cars on the grid so no option. It seems like even when something is GPU heavy the 1080ti is still waiting for the CPU to follow. OC of the 1080ti will also be tested as soon as the 7700k runs stable.

Cheers, Chris

Update: So the Kaby Lake 7700 (standard) can not be overclocked at all.

My dealer takes it back in exchange for a 7700k. I will need water-cooling with my midi-case and then I will post results with 4,8 ghz (+higher) regarding settings and FPS.

Tried Spars Supersampling and did not improve visual quality, only with 8x but then frame rate drops to 70 with 15 cars on the grid so no option. It seems like even when something is GPU heavy the 1080ti is still waiting for the CPU to follow. OC of the 1080ti will also be tested as soon as the 7700k runs stable.

Cheers, Chris
Nice deal!
However you don't need watercooling! Trust me!
Get some nice fans and big ass cooler like Thermalright's Macho series!
@RainhamIron can tell you something about loud all in one watercooling versus nice airflow + big block air cooling.
Hope I can intervene before it's too late :)

Last edited:
Point taken. I have read about this notion that water-cooling isn't better than traditional cooling. I will give it a try, my dealer recommended this kit to me as my case is pretty small and the 1080ti is really steaming while racing. The watercooling solution takes less space helping air to circulate better, will see. But thanks anyway.

Nice deal!
However you don't need watercooling! Trust me!
Get some nice fans and big ass cooler like Thermaltake's Macho series!
@RainhamIron can tell you something about loud all in one watercooling versus nice airflow + big block air cooling.
Hope I can intervene before it's too late :)
I recently upgraded my ageing system of 4770k / GTX780 SLI etc and ended up with similar to your own, i.e. 1080ti, Oculus Rift, 8770k etc, and took the opportunity to review my cooling solution also.

I had been using the Corsair H80i aio water cooler (bought with my system built in 2012), as I had the perception back in the day that it would offer the ultimate cooling solution overall for my system. Problem was the thing made an absolute racket - basically a horrible, loud whining noise, particularly bad when you increased the fan speed. I'd noticed also the temps really weren't anything special, and didn't reduce significantly with increased radiator fan speed. I guess it was limited by the ability to transfer heat away from the CPU and into the radiator.

So In the end I did some reading up on current air coolers (and ran my thoughts past Rasmus as you probably guessed :whistling:) and went for this:
https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15
Wow, I haven't looked back since! The difference between the virtually inaudible Noctua and the jet turbine I had before is like night and day. It really is whisper quiet now, even when gaming :inlove: Plus as a bonus, the CPU temps are between 10-20c cooler on average, and that's with all 6 cores fixed at 4.8ghz.

I see you mentioned though having a fairly small case, so yeah that could be an issue. The Noctua cooler is huuuge. I use a pretty large case and yes, it only just fits:

I'm guessing there must be quieter, more efficient AIO water solutions available nowadays, as well as smaller but still effective air cooling solutions, but anyway I thought I'd stick my 10c worth in and share my experience before you take the plunge.

Otherwise next time I'm at my PC, I'll note down my gfx settings and share those too in case they're of any interest. After all that was the original point of this thread :p

P.S. my second system has the H100i which of course has a larger radiator. This is definitely better all round than the H80i, but is still significantly louder than the Noctua, as well as being inferior in the cooling department.

Hope this helps anyway...

I see you mentioned though having a fairly small case, so yeah that could be an issue. The Noctua cooler is huuuge.
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT: 159mm height :) Never seen a slimmer case than mine with maximum height spec at 154mm. The spikes of the Heatpipes are peaking through the sound dampening and my case barely closes :p

Also you have to take into consideration that a CPU AIO that's at the rear of the case will use all it's power just for the cpu, basically closing an opening for the hot air of the graphics card.

Sorry, I'm really not a fan of AIO's other than 140x280 radiators put in the top of the case, or covering the full front. But only when there's a silent fan in the bottom and the rear for the GPU.

Guys, we are just discussing some concepts, I am happy to take your suggestions, really appreciated. Really no point for tough arguments.

I currently use a "be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim."
On order is: "NZXT KRAKEN X52 V2"
Case: BitFenix Aegis Micro-ATX

Step 1: I will put the 7700K in, put the "be quiet" on top, overclock and monitor temperatures during racing. I will do this because a lot of people claim that a standard cooler will do it anyways. That will be easy and fast to validate.

What is an acceptable top temp under stress/load??

Step 2: If temperatures are within range I will send the "NZXT" back (14 days/no reason required) and get the money back, no problem.

Alternative: If temperatures are too high, I will test the "NZXT", because if a temp problem then persists, my dealer will make a different suggestion and surely take it back because he said, that an OC 7700K with an OC 1080ti is possible with my case. I will then also see if the NZXT provides lower temps even if they are too high.

Makes sense? Other suggestions?

Chris

It's all good, sorry for sounding any harsh. I guess I just suffered some damage over the last years with about 10 people I know in real life trying to convince me that their AiO watercoolers for 100€+ are "absolutely better than aircooling and fully quiet!".
When I visited them and did some testing the result was that their CPUs are too hot and their AiO's are a lot louder than a good aircooler.
So they spent about 80€ for more heat and more noise just because "It's cool and awesome, everybody needs it".

If you did good research and your retailer is a good man there's no need for any arguments :) I quote: Point taken :ninja:

I just googled your case and your current air cooler, it's not a real beast compared to the bigger ones but a decent one! The BitFenix can take 170mm air coolers, the Noctua D14 (160mm) and D15 (165mm) both would fit nicely for something like 50€ less, supporting the airflow in general.

So if your current aircooler and the Kraken don't get the job done, you know where to look :)

btw, what temps. do you have in mind when thinking about "being okay"?
From my knowledge 60-70°C is good, up to 85°C is okay. When reaching 90°C you should do something about it.

Update:

7700k plus NZXT KRAKEN X52 V2 installed. Looks awesome and the cooler takes a fraction of the space of what the other one did.

Max CPU temp under stress @4,5Ghz: 67
Max CPU temp under stress @4,9Ghz: 73

With CPU stress tests the GPU idles around 44.
With GPU stress tests the CPU idles around 50.

Conditions: It is a hot summer day, so that'll be all good.

I do get 90 FPS at the start of a 20 cars race now.

Computer Case closed.

Chris

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.4%