HS6-GT – DIY H-Pattern Shifter

Name:
HS6-GT (H pattern Shifter with 6 gates and GT car style)

Introduction:
The objective of this shifter is to be low cost (as possible) and easy to build, but with a convincing feedback.
Because it uses printed parts this shifter will not be perfect and reliable (i haven't intensively tested) but we will have a possibility to improve it with the feedback of the community.
Since this shifter is designed with low-cost in mind, most of the mechanical solutions aren't the best, but the cheapest.
Electronic side is made with a Arduino Pro Micro (Atmega32u4) and 6 micro switches.
HS6_GT_V1.00-01.jpgHS6_GT_V1.00-02.pngHS6_GT_V1.00-Lateral_Section.pngHS6_GT_V1.00-Longitudinal_Section.png

Video:

More pictures:

Obs: Will try to make a video of the working shifter soon.

Feeling:
This is a subjective point. I will give my honest view. (declaimer: I only used extensively the Logitech G27 Shifter. But i have tried the TH8A and Fanatec SQ1.5 before).
The feeling of this shifter is closer to the Fanatec shifter.
Because it uses the Nissan Shifter (aluminium and steel construction) the feeling is very robust and “real”. The gear engagement mechanism is depending on the springs. so it can be adjusted to your need. I prefer to use a softer spring. Too strong, you will be fighting the shifter and a stronger spring will push the “Offset Lever” up, and his sliding shaft will slide against the printed “Bottom Case”. This will generate more friction, and the sliding of the shaft will not be so smooth.
Unfortunately this shifter will make some noise. The stronger the spring the noisier it is.

Cost:
The cost of this shifter is difficult do predict because there is many variables to take in consideration. (delivery cost, hardware cost, 3d printing cost)
The BOM (Bill of Material) + Cost list will not take in consideration the delivery and will use an approximation prices.

Note: After making the BOM and cost list I was surprised with the final price of the screws and nuts. I check the price directly from eBay (Germany) and I didnt search for the best price, but the first option. I really believe the price of this hardware is much lower, probably half.
So, the "low cost" Shifter will be: 52€ (I believe the price can be around 42€ + Delivery cost).

Known problems:
-Metal parts against 3D Printed parts… Most of the 3D printed part must be seen as consumable components (if you don't have a 3D printer and you buy the components from someone with one, best option is to buy more parts to replace them later)
-Noisy shifter. There isn't much to be done on this subject. Probably make a closed case.
-Just 6 slots, so we can´t mimic a 6 speed shifter plus Reverse. (luckily i have a good idea for solving the problem. Will be my next iteration)

Fusion 360 Parametric model:

Preview:

Parametric model:

Note: The parts where designed taking in mind the printing tolerances from my 3D printer. Before printing them, please, check if all holes dimensions are good for your printer.
And the same applies to the components. Check the dimensions of your micro switch if the fit. The one i used can be different from the one you buy!!!

STL files can be found in this thingiverse page:

Arduino Sketch:

For Hall Effect Sensor
https://github.com/xabix99/hall-sim-shifter

Arduino Wiring

Final thoughts:

This project will be in constant evolution. The first version is a working version. But there is alot of place for improvement. I'm expecting the help of the community to evolve it.

This Shifter is open source, so you can edit and modify as much as you want and can. But you cannot sell it. If you have any questions, please DM.

And to finish, feel free to pay me a "coffee/beer", so I can buy more hardware for this kind of projects!!!

Tiago Viana

Update Report:
-Changed the BOM - V1.01 (M2 screw with M2,5, for the Micro Swich)
-Update the 3D model to fit M2,5
-Added Video

Last edited:
I would like to ask, if you decide to make this Shifter, to post your bluid on this Thread. And, if you have any question, come to here and ask, so we can learn and improve with your experience. My idea is to have everything connected with this shifter in this Thread/Forum.

I would like to request, since i don´t have iRacing account, someone to write a post in the iRacing forum, to redirect any potential builder to this forum.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Hey Tiago,

thanks for the very informative video.
To be honest, it is a purpose driven, clever construction in my opinion. I like it!

Cheers Dan

This looks very promising! What 3d printer and settings do you use? You can try to improve the strength of the parts by printing it in petg or abs?

This looks very promising! What 3d printer and settings do you use? You can try to improve the strength of the parts by printing it in petg or abs?
This is a good question... Unfortunately I don't have experience with petg and abs.
My understanding is petg is more flexible than pla. I don't think we can profit much with this material.
Abs, probably is a good option but I don't have this material.
If I had to choose a good material, probably will be nylon or PC. But I don't have it too... And my printer can't print them.

Printer setting and material.
I'm using sunlu pla+
So far I'm really happy with this brand and material. The bolts slide on this material really well and I didn't notice any wear. I made one version with a normal pla and the bolts where wearing and not sliding well.
The "offset Lever" and "bottom case" are the only 2 parts under more stress. I recommend to use a better quality and high resistance on this 2 parts. The other parts, normal pla is enough.
For the big parts I'm printing with
Height 0.24mm
Line width 0.45mm
3 perimeter and giroid infill. Around 15%.

Offset lever:
Height 0.15mm
5 perimeters. Giroid infill 30%

Hope this info helps.
Tiago Viana

I think PETG actually is stronger than PLA and can take a lot more abuse but is a bit more flexible. PETG costs the same as PLA where I buy it, so it would be worth trying it at least. I will be following this project with interest since I'm designing a h shifter myself and might try your design too.

Did you look into other alternatives for the micro switches? The micro switches are pretty small and cheap so it's a great option. But I think it's better to have less moving parts for the switches. You can buy inductive proximity sensors, that can detect metals without making contact with the metal. They are a bit bigger and a little more expensive but it would improve the longevity of your shifter.

Small inductive proximity sensor
Bigger better inductive proximity sensor

Did you look into other alternatives for the micro switches? The micro switches are pretty small and cheap so it's a great option. But I think it's better to have less moving parts for the switches. You can buy inductive proximity sensors, that can detect metals without making contact with the metal. They are a bit bigger and a little more expensive but it would improve the longevity of your shifter.

Small inductive proximity sensor
Bigger better inductive proximity sensor
I didn't tell anything because I'm still trying to write the arduino sketch (I cannot program in arduino, I just search the Internet, copy paste and hope it works).
But I made a test with 2 Hall Effect Sensor, and the first test was good. Now I just need to make the sketch work to our needs.
I'm in holidays, therefore I stop working on the shifter.
I really have high hopes for the hall effect sensors.

My first idea was to make available the most cheap solution and go with more expensive/complex solutions in small increments.
Tiago Viana

Morning,
Just a little suggestion.
Maybe using a Teensy LC (same as a arduino microcontroller) is a better option.
Why? Because it comes with a joystick library that makes it more easy to write a program for a controller. Maybe there are also sketches already available for hall sensors or others to use as joystick buttons.
To write programs you also use the arduino IDE.
I could also help with a program for it if you want.
Cheers Dan

I didn't tell anything because I'm still trying to write the arduino sketch (I cannot program in arduino, I just search the Internet, copy paste and hope it works).
But I made a test with 2 Hall Effect Sensor, and the first test was good. Now I just need to make the sketch work to our needs.
I'm in holidays, therefore I stop working on the shifter.
I really have high hopes for the hall effect sensors.

My first idea was to make available the most cheap solution and go with more expensive/complex solutions in small increments.
Tiago Viana

Happy holidays dude! The hall sensors sound like a great option. If spending a little more money means gaining a lot more effectiveness I would definately go for it though.

Morning,
Just a little suggestion.
Maybe using a Teensy LC (same as a arduino microcontroller) is a better option.
Why? Because it comes with a joystick library that makes it more easy to write a program for a controller. Maybe there are also sketches already available for hall sensors or others to use as joystick buttons.
To write programs you also use the arduino IDE.
I could also help with a program for it if you want.
Cheers Dan
As I already stated, I'm no expert in arduino and programming, so I can be wrong.
I understand what a teensy Lc is, but I cannot see a big advantage for this application. In the end we just need to send a push button function to the PC. We will not need high bit rate communication, big RAM, etc.
And the price of one teensy Lc, is around 20€. I can get 3 arduino pro micro for around 6€! It is hard to beat this price difference! And for our needs, the arduino is good enough! We just need a good instalation manual.

I'm expecting to be able to connect only 4 Hall effect sensor and make the 6 gates position, but if doesn't go as expected, I can use 6 HES to simulate the gates, and the arduino pro micro has 10 analog points, so it is enough!
Arduino for the win! ;)

Tiago Viana

I've bought the nissan shifter, it will arrive next week. When I have the shifter I will start printing your design. After I finish I will post my build on this thread. Please, if you have any updates share them with us, before I'm printing outdated parts :)

I've bought the nissan shifter, it will arrive next week. When I have the shifter I will start printing your design. After I finish I will post my build on this thread. Please, if you have any updates share them with us, before I'm printing outdated parts :)
YES!!!
That makes me happy!!!

If you open the 3d model from fusion, it will show always the last version.
At the moment I made a small modification. I need to update the BOM and the first post. I will try to do it ASAP.

Please, post the build and make a honest review in the process in this post.

Only thing I want to know before I start printing, did you achieve success with the hall effect sensors? And will mounting the hall sensors be possible in the current design?

Only thing I want to know before I start printing, did you achieve success with the hall effect sensors? And will mounting the hall sensors be possible in the current design?
I´m working on this. This weekend i was sick... so, i could not invest allot of time.
I will have a concept working this week. I have already the magnets and 3 Hall Sensors, I´m still waiting for the pack from china with more Sensors. But with 3 are enough to test it.
I will say something when is working.

I'm going to try this out too sometime soon. I have a bunch of extra on/off hall sensors, so I want to try it that way if it works for you, or if I can figure out how to get that to work in the arduino sketch.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 103 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 185 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 364 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 506 39.0%