HP Reverb Review

Mr Latte

Premium
So how good is it with all those pixels?

For Sim Racing we may not need to rely or care much on the windows mixed reality for the controllers and tracking. The concern with this, is more to do with the GPU loads as covered in the second video but seems a 1080Ti or RTX 2080 level of card is a good basis to start from.

Whats your thoughts guys, Valve Index has won me over with a current pre-order but I'm still waiting to learn more about it before fully committing.

Enjoy the videos and discuss...

Last edited:
Sadly my HP reverb is delayed. If all goes well i should have it next week

With all the Index hype, i have to admit i had some slight buyers remorse, but as mentioned before i'm determined to do a side by side comparison.

This review from a seating simmer looks really really promising

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

No way I can use 60hz VR :O_o:
First units will be in the hands of real simracers in the next week, so let's find out how good it is in the wild.
Guess some people are less sensitive, for me it was stroboscope show, I'd rather use 45 fps reprojection that looks more than decent with the latest Mixed Reality driver release

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

It's either you are less sensitive or 4hz make a difference. 60hz WMR is quite tiring for my eyes, like looking at fast flickering fluorescent lamp.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I think the screen type does have an impact and how it looks. Flickering would tend to show that the refresh rate and the frame rate doesn't work well.
Could be OLED vs LCD thing, haven't thought of that.

Upvote 0
I can even run at 50hz at a non locked and non native refresh in the Pimax. It's miles better than running the Rift at anything other than 90hz or using the Brainwarp 45hz. I'm not sure why. Granted it's not recommended because after a while your eye can get tired using that hz but it's dependent on the individual.

I'm thrilled that I have the amount of options to always find a way to lock in a superior experience to what I have been used to. The more options the new HMD's give to users, the better things will be in the time between new GPU hardware being released / being affordable for VR users.

Upvote 0
I have to echo @anton_Chez comments. The considerable adjustability of the Pimax through PiTool and SteamVR with in-game settings is fantastic and worth the effort of experimenting. I personally allow some headroom in order to run all sims at 72hz, Normal FOV without smart smoothing (ASW) enabled and if fpsVR is to be believed, then I achieve that. I use the 64hz option on occasion where third party tracks might not be fully optimized or bigger grids require more grunt, plus it's a good option when racing online. I find there's little discernible difference and eye strain hasn't been an issue for me yet but I haven't used it for more than an hour at any one time. Heck I even managed to get ACC looking pretty good and running okay yesterday, with a decent grid and found it surprisingly enjoyable albeit that title certainly needs a fair bit of work on the vr front, before it is up to the standard of others.

Upvote 0
Having a Lenovo WMR headset. Been trying with 60 hz the last few days just to get a feel how it is.
Got a 144 hz monitor so kind of used to higher Hz.
Didn't like going to 60 hz at first. After a couple of tries of 10-15 min I got used to it in PC2 and was fine.
Been trying several times in Rf2 but continue feel uncomfortable after 10 -15 min.
Not sure what the difference are.
But clearly 90 hz is much better and I too prefer 45 fps reprojection to fixed 60hz.
But can easy see it will work fine for some people.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Having a Lenovo WMR headset. Been trying with 60 hz the last few days just to get a feel how it is.
Got a 144 hz monitor so kind of used to higher Hz.
Didn't like going to 60 hz at first. After a couple of tries of 10-15 min I got used to it in PC2 and was fine.
Been trying several times in Rf2 but continue feel uncomfortable after 10 -15 min.
Not sure what the difference are.
But clearly 90 hz is much better and I too prefer 45 fps reprojection to fixed 60hz.
But can easy see it will work fine for some people.
Same results on Odyssey+, which is OLED, Lenovo is LCD. 90hz is much easier on eyes even with 45fps reprojection. There is some faint flicker at 60hz esp in motion.
Guess there was a damn good reason Oculus recommended 90hz as minimum refresh rate for HMDs.
Not Facebook Oculus, the other, good one.

Upvote 0
But I am sure if there was no 90hz I would easy get used to 60hz too!
Also not sure if 90hz is the golden standard!
Do not hear much complain about 80 HZ on the Rift_S?
It might be not only personal but also depending on display persistence and maybe even the game!
I for one would like to have the option of 75 hz. Might work fine for more people

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

But I am sure if there was no 90hz I would easy get used to 60hz too!
Also not sure if 90hz is the golden standard!
Do not hear much complain about 80 HZ on the Rift_S?
It might be not only personal but also depending on display persistence and maybe even the game!
I for one would like to have the option of 75 hz. Might work fine for more people
Actually, I have seen a lot.

Upvote 0
It's funny because I had gotten "immune" to the effects of serious frame rate issues with my CPU bottle necked system. When I finally bench marked it and saw how bad it was I upgraded it. I was amazed at how much better it was and people visiting have much less of a nausia issue while playing racing sims.

My point being is that we can get used to things that are sub par and some for the sake of resolution will convince themselves something is fine. However if they were presented with that extra frame rate, they would probably be very happy about it.

However if a person wants to run a lower frame rate to boost resolution or field of view, it is a feature to offer the flexibility to do so.

Upvote 0
Just a question.... Am I right to think that for the reverb I just need the headset for full head tracking (head moving left tight up down closer further, head turning in any direction)?

And what do I need for the coming valve index. Can it do any autonomous headset tracking without the light houses (if it's not full dof can it do at least head turning left right and up and down alone?)? And if not, is one lighthouse enough?

Upvote 0
The valve index will work with a single light house.

What I read was that it should be in front of the headset within 30 degrees of straight on and that it needs at least 1.5m distance.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 133 13.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 95 9.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 71 7.0%
  • < 5 years