HP Reverb first sight

Driving the 190E AMG in VR around the ring gets me horny. Much better than the GT3 cars

What an experience. It’s impossible to describe it. The pleasure is infinite.

I still would like to tweak the colors a little bit, but man... this headset is awesome

Superb clarity if you got the sweetspot exactly right. If not it sucks. And the colors are not as good as the Oculus Rift CV1 imho. But it's a nice headset.

What's your IPD? I have 68.5 and have no issue at all in getting a clear image.

In regards to color reproduction, I never had a chance to try an Oculus, but compared to Vive and Pimax is the best out of the bunch.

The only thing I wish of course it's a much wider peripheral vision, but coming from 8k, I readapted pretty soon.

In regards to color reproduction, I never had a chance to try an Oculus, but compared to Vive and Pimax is the best out of the bunch.

The only thing I wish of course it's a much wider peripheral vision, but coming from 8k, I readapted pretty soon.
My IPD is 60.4 and i set it in the WMR portal settings. I really need to find the right position to put the headset on to get the clearest image. If I look to the left or up, the image is not so clear anymore. I guess that's the sweetspot.

I run a CV1 with a 2080ti with plenty of SS. Do you guys think its a worth upgrade, ir should i wait for real next tech? Thanks!!
I think you should upgrade to the oculus S because it’s better than the CV1 ( the oculus S audio isn’t goodies the CV1) and it costs only 400$( you can wait the Black Friday and pick it with less). I firstly was thinking to update to the Index but that would have costed me 1400$! To much for a headset that yes it’s better than the oculus S but it’s not a next gen at all. So I decided to spend only 400$ to get a better VR but this allows me to wait for the next gen without spending 1.5K.

I run a CV1 with a 2080ti with plenty of SS. Do you guys think its a worth upgrade, ir should i wait for real next tech? Thanks!!
If you ride a lot with VR, you shouldn't wait any longer! The sharpness of the reverb cannot be surpassed at the moment. I had the CV1, Dell Visor, DK2 and the Pimax 5K+, the best for me is the reverb! It could be that the index convinces one, but I haven't tried it yet! I think that it will take 2-3 years until what is actually usable comes on the market.

If you ride a lot with VR, you shouldn't wait any longer! The sharpness of the reverb cannot be surpassed at the moment. I had the CV1, Dell Visor, DK2 and the Pimax 5K+, the best for me is the reverb! It could be that the index convinces one, but I haven't tried it yet! I think that it will take 2-3 years until what is actually usable comes on the market.
Thanks a lot Bud! I guess you can say I do run a little. 1700hrs of AC since oct/2017, 700hrs of rfactor2 since Jun/2018, plus all other Sims that do get a little bit less attention. ALL of this was with the CV1, im absolutely not comming back to flat panels. You gave the answer my wallet didnt wanted to hear, but Reverb, here i come lol

I think you should upgrade to the oculus S because it’s better than the CV1 ( the oculus S audio isn’t goodies the CV1) and it costs only 400$( you can wait the Black Friday and pick it with less). I firstly was thinking to update to the Index but that would have costed me 1400$! To much for a headset that yes it’s better than the oculus S but it’s not a next gen at all. So I decided to spend only 400$ to get a better VR but this allows me to wait for the next gen without spending 1.5K.

Thanks for the tip man! But as a brazilian simracer, i cant affort tô do lets say little jumps every time. When i upgrade ir has tô be huge tô be worth, cuz gear here ia freaky expensive and hard to find.

• Deleted member 197115

If Samsung doesn't drop anything before holidays, we won"t see anything better in 2019.
Mind IPD though, it's fixed.
Recommendation is to get consumer edition, better face mask and warranty.

• Deleted member 855537

I love my Reverb, last one i had was the CV1 and it sucks.

@wajdi Trust me, it's a great experience coming from Vive and Pimax 8k and I don't have any issue besides reset the boundaries and recenter the view each time, which are software related. Just make sure it's the revised version with the clip to hold the cable.

Of course the FOV is limited compared to Pimax, but I traded for clarity and smoothness.

So my Reverb got delivered Monday (Black Fridayy deal at £437) coming from 3 years of using a Rift CV1, here's my initial first impressions after a good few hours each evening:

1 - The bloody thing turned up with a busted Right ear piece which is a PITA, needless to say "Support" was Abysmal as I was thrown around 3 different phone number and not one person could help a long with "this is the number you require" which was actually the first number I rang, truly was atrocious from HP.
But then I was put in touch with the HP VR guy on Reddit who immediately apologised and whose level of customer service was 1000x better, he's since sent me some replacement earpieces which arrive Monday.

2 - The Visuals; It's like looking at a 1080p Monitor....no ****! Clear as day, if you try really really hard you can just make out the "screendoor" pixels stuff but when playing it is not noticeable at all. Night & Day from the Rift CV1....so so good. I can make out the top of the Screen beyond the Lenses if I strain my eyes upwards, plus when looking to all four corners and around the "edge" of the Screen I do see a bit more unwanted areas unlike the Rift, so the lenses could perhaps be a bit bigger to hide this but when playing they're not noticeable.

3 - Weighs slightly less than the Rift, comfort is a little worse as sits on the bridge of my nose a little tighter meaning long stints become uncomfortable, so I may have to "mod" this area with some sponge or something. There's no "nose gap" so light bleed isn't an issue but this makes using a keyboard impossible, I quite liked the CV1 nose gap especially for keyboard usage! Other than that the heavy Lead and 3.5mm headphone Jack are a slight nuisance, again a bit of modding required to make that more comfortable, overall the rest of the HMD straps are fine and good enough.

4 - FOV ever so slightly bigger in my Left Eye but for some reason the Right Eye is roughly the same, which is weird but probably something to do with my low IPD (59mm-60mm). But esentially there's no massive difference over the CV1 so the extra bit is barely noticeable.

5 - The "Blacks" are very dark Greys so Elite Dangerous/Night Racing is a bit odd but something I'll no doubt get used too, the Rift was better with Blacks. It is a bit of a let down though as though first impressions stick and I'll always know "it could be better" in this area.

6 - Tracking; Had a moment where it jumped me to the Roof of the car for some reason but with a quick button press I was back behind the wheel. I also had a strange one the other evening where in 1 session my viewpoint was slowly shifting to the side and I had to Reset VR View a couple of times in a 20min race. You do need a well lit area to play in, so I may invest in a brighter bulb for the room just to be safe, but other than the two above there have been no other Tracking issues at all - overall it's good so far.

7 - ...and this is just as amazing as the Picture Clarity; I was told by some people that you'd need a Rocket Ship of a PC to use this HMD with any Sims and that I'd be running with Low settings even with my new PC (i9-9900k, 2070SUPER, 16gb RAM).
Well those Know-It-Alls could'nt be more wrong, with the SAME Settings as before (HIGH in RF2 with default 100% SS in SteamVR) with 29AI (GT3) at Adelaide my new PC *STILL* Pumps out 90fps at Race Start! I was not expecting this level of performance, it truly was a "WOW....LOOK AT THAT FPS!" moment as I simply could not believe it!~
Any Daytime running and it's the same 90fps, It does drop when the headlights come on and also with a bit of Rain about but I don't have to lower settings that much to get a smooth racing experience.
Elite Dangerous is smooth as silk and the HUDs are clear & crisp and so much easier to read, No Mans Sky (with the controllers, first time I've ever had these so that was fun) was smooth on HIGH Settings but ULTRA was a tad too jumpy. ACC was also a nice surprise, again in open air a rock solid 90fps but a few more drops in traffic (to be expected as it is a 2019 game), a bit of tweaking and it'll be just fine and a Sim I can finally dig my teeth into so I'm looking forward to that.
Flight Sims are also great, no longer are enemy Planes are garbled mess 1km away, they are now clear many kms off in the distance, like Elite I'm able to read the HUDs and Instrument Panels much easier than before.

Conclusion; So yeah Visually it's leaps and bounds above the CV1 and seeing as I paid £549 three years agofor that (without controllers!) it's a huge step up. Performance wise it's simply stunning on my new Rig so I could'nt be more happy about that, just a right bitch bastard about the defective ear piece but that'll be sorted next week fingers crossed. The Reverb is by no means perfect, it has its flaws and unfortunately a friend on Discord has suffered the "Black Screen" after less than a weeks play (latest revision), so it still has it's Issues HP suffered many months ago. But aside from that it's a great upgrade to the CV1 which I briefly went back to (to compare FOV) and the Visuals were like I said...Night & Day and that's worth it alone!

• Deleted member 855537

i have 66.5 and has no trouble with sweetspot at all, i just put them on without any fiddling.

• Deleted member 855537

You can't compare it to the CV1 or Rift S, it's a huge step up. I sold both those headsets just days after i bought them.

What’s the clarity like away from centre though?
Still really torn between the index and the reverb, almost pushed the button on Black Friday deal but held out as in not sure which one is swaying my vote

You really need to find the sweetspot to get the most clarity. Outside the range of the (limited) sweetspot area the clarty is not particularly good. I love the Reverb, but that is the main concern I have with the HMD. I keep replacing the headset on my face every few laps. It takes some getting used to.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back