rF2 Howston Dissenter @ Watkins Glen - Thu 11 Jun 2020

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Terribly sorry guys, I didn't realise that yet another update had been released... getting sick of this now! :cautious: The communication from Studio 397 is absolutely awful! How is an event organiser and server administrator meant to keep on top of things when they are not even informed when an update is released? :mad:

Thank you, @Denis Betty, for sorting this out. I presume you updated all of the dedicated servers?

EDIT:
At the time of writing, there's not even a post in the Studio 397 forums about the update... :O_o:

EDIT 2:
And nothing on social media channels either... no information about what has been updated, and no indication of a new update. Are we supposed to be mind readers or something? Maybe trial and error is the way it has to be done from now on... you've got to try and join the server to figure out if there has been an update.

My apologies, I'll stop complaining now... but this has really annoyed me. It's not the first time that this has happened, and the communication seems to be getting worse! There has been an update released 3 out of the last 4 weeks before this Thursday night event, and each time there has been less notice about an update... and on this occasion there was no notice whatsoever.

Last edited:
Terribly sorry guys, I didn't realise that yet another update had been released... getting sick of this now! :cautious: The communication from Studio 397 is absolutely awful! How is an event organiser and server administrator meant to keep on top of things when they are not even informed when an update is released? :mad:

Thank you, @Denis Betty, for sorting this out. I presume you updated all of the dedicated servers?

EDIT:
At the time of writing, there's not even a post in the Studio 397 forums about the update... :O_o:
I dunno mate, I just closed the dedis and hit the update.bat
I forgot to put server 3 back up and forgot to log off Avon sorry.

So, 90 min before the practice I finally got an idea for my livery. I guess a stress-made one is fine enough :)

OUsO1Tb.jpg

EDIT:

EDIT 2:
And nothing on social media channels either... no information about what has been updated, and no indication of a new update. Are we supposed to be mind readers or something? Maybe trial and error is the way it has to be done from now on... you've got to try and join the server to figure out if there has been an update.

My apologies, I'll stop complaining now... but this has really annoyed me. It's not the first time that this has happened, and the communication seems to be getting worse! There has been an update released 3 out of the last 4 weeks before this Thursday night event, and each time there has been less notice about an update... and on this occasion there was no notice whatsoever.

I guess they are 110% focused on the 24hrs this weekend. They really need that to work perfectly seeing how many TV channels around the world will broadcast the whole event!

I guess they are 110% focused on the 24hrs this weekend. They really need that to work perfectly seeing how many TV channels around the world will broadcast the whole event!
That may well be the case, and I can't say that I blame them to be honest - this is a massive deal for the studio, and I can appreciate that it will require much of their focus and attention. However, is one little announcement, either on social media or in their forums, too much to ask for? I don't even require release / change notes - just a heads up about an update to the game would be nice. It's like we - their player base - has been forgotten all of a sudden. It's "fine" for clients because Steam will update their game automatically, but this is not the case for server administrators - there will be a number of communities that are running dedicated servers and may be hosting events in the next few days - who need to manually update their installs.

@Daiman Patel See my mention about the VEC race last week. VEC is technically ran by S397 employees. And it was the biggest race of the season (obviously). Yet they pushed an update for the game two days before the race, and another one an hour before green flag.

(And the car I would've be driving in the race if I hadn't messed up my scheduling didn't get to start because of that update, incidentally.)

Had a lot of fun today, in both races. Unfortunately had some small contacts and made some mistakes which costed some drivers time, sorry about that :redface:
Other thank that it was very fun to race with these cars really close to each other, it required a great deal of concentration, but it was very fun!
Thank you for the event, hopefully will be able to take aprt next week :thumbsup:

I'm sorry for your issues guys, I have some too but with this consistency, my ideas become more and more true and I'm getting more good habits gradually.

Race 2 was the best for me with final 13th position (if I'm not wrong because that's what Crew Chief told me at the end of the race). I had a great race even if I crashed on the wall three times. Usually I don't make mistakes during online races or just little ones.

Tomorrow though I won't be able to race with you because I have another race at the same time as yours. As soon as I find time, I will come back racing with you. :thumbsup:

@Daiman Patel See my mention about the VEC race last week. VEC is technically ran by S397 employees. And it was the biggest race of the season (obviously). Yet they pushed an update for the game two days before the race, and another one an hour before green flag
Yup, it's bad timing and arguably poor planning in my opinion. I imagine that, as @Ole Marius Myrvold has said, it's all related to the Virtual 24 Hours of Le Mans event, which seems to have taken precedence over everything at the moment. It is rather frustrating. (I appreciate that to some it may sound like a silly thing to complain about, but as somebody who works in the software industry this type of thing really grinds my gears.)

(And the car I would've be driving in the race if I hadn't messed up my scheduling didn't get to start because of that update, incidentally.)
I'm sorry to hear that, mate. :(

I heard and read a lot of kind words for the Dissenter this evening. Maybe I will run it againg in 3 months or so?

Thank you all for racing and for your kind words. I must say, It's been great this last few weeks to have a bunch of guys together who seem to enjoy the social side of these events, as well as the racing.

I look forward to seeing youall again soon.

The Brabham BT20 @ Rouen server for next week is up! ;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back