How 'user friendly' is the game for old, slow drivers? :)

Connor Caple

Slowest Racer in Town...
[Edit: Bought the game from RD store. Set wheel and graphics up. Having fun! Thanks all]

I used to race club events, mini-fridays, etc., with Race 07. I currently race in the GT6 series here. I am quite slow - in fact, I doubt I'd be allowed to race under the 107% rule... ever.

How is AC for rubbish drivers like me? Do we have anyone slow enough to express an opinion, or is everyone else way faster than me like always? :D

I keep considering buying it but, since all the really fast racers have switched to it, that makes me think it's not well suited to people whose idea of a fast, hard, white-knuckle-ride of a drive is a Mini.

Last edited:
Slower cars often provide the most rewarding experience.
If the experience and sensation of driving a car is what you're looking for in a sim, then in my opinion, nothing even comes close to Assetto Corsa.

As Bram said above, raw speed doesn't guarantee wins. Consistency and respect for the rules is where you'll get good results. :)

So many people are flocking to AC now that we're getting such a wide variety of sim racers, from the very slow, to the complete world record breakers.

IMO, well worth the (ridiculously cheap) $30 or whatever it is now. :)

Hehe - I got lapped twice in my last PRL Gran Turismo race here (GT3 series). Field of 5, and the other 4 seemed to be a lot faster round Bathurst than I was, but I always keep going until the end and I do enjoy the experience.

AC doesn't seem to have Minis though, when I checked the car list - unless I'm missing something? :O_o:

I quite like the 500 esse esse. Raced those back in a Forza 3 simmish league, fun little car. The force to drive small, FWD cars is strong in this one... :p

Haha - when I'm currently about 10 seconds a lap slower than everyone else? :roflmao: It's a nice idea, Bram, but I'd need more work than the academy is capable of.

I used to be a 'donator' back in the Mini Friday days and without the kind setups handed out by the good racers I'd have been even slower!

There is a small commission for RD and a larger margin for Kunos as well.

Whether you buy it here or on steam you'll get the same code and download package and 90% of the times receive it on the fly :)

I think AC is an easier sim to get into. You're not constantly fighting the car like I've experienced in some sims, you can put in clean laps that don't involve constant wheel twitches.

The lotus cars are all about getting down to the right entry speed and they're pretty planted on the way out so you don't have to combat too much counter steer on the way out of the corners either.

I've found that everything makes more sense in AC to, so you can improve easier because you know what you're doing wrong.

It's certainly worth the money, even for just driving around not racing. Which is what most of us have been doing for the past few months before multiplayer came out.

cant emphasize enough what others have said. this game just feels great; it simply makes you want to drive. it was my first driving sim & now a few months later ive got five or so more of them (and a wheel, of course, something id never considered in my life), all of which im enjoying to various degrees. im not fast or focused on being so but if AC was a gateway drug for me (played mostly on gamer mode (full assists) with my pad for a couple months! now im down to auto clutch & hoping to get that off the list as well) AND praised to hell by so many enthusiasts its gotta be doing something right. best $40 i ever spent, for sure.

This is my first real experience of a driving sim and also on a steep learning curve. I started off in a McLaren at Silverstone doing 2.26 but have now managed to get it down to 2.10 through practice, practice, practice but am looking forward to be able to race against some other gents and also hopefully improve some more.

I've been trying to get my little brother into simming for a while (He being 16 so around the age when I started a couple of years back) I tried Race07, GTR2 , RFactor and even Gran Turismo and he wasn't really caught on by it, but Assetto has really sparked his interest, and I can see why. Kunos have clearly spent a lot of time focusing on new users entering the sim market, which is a high demographic which I'm sure everyone on this forum hopes gets bigger and bigger, and this effort has shown as the game is so simple for users who are just starting.

• Driving Aids on each and every car: Gives you chance to start with a lot of help, and with the % of how much is it on, it allows users to slowly decrease the level as their driving ability and familarity with the car increases. With smaller cars, naturally this is easier - but for cars like the F40, 458 and Pagani - it is really helpful for someone new to the technique of not slamming the brakes and accelerator all the time.
  • Car set-up tooltips, which I have found super super useful, as I never got round to creating my on set-ups on previous platforms, mainly due to not understanding what everything does without dedicating a lot of time into learning it. Of course Ramon and George's guides are super if you have more time to get into it - but for a basic aid for a few quick tweaks it is fantastic.
  • The range of cars really is super too, as if you aren't the best at one type of car - such as GTs where my little bro struggles - there is so many other types of car that you can master. From the Lotus 125 to the 500s, its insane how wide the variety of car choice there is. Even the balance in road vs racing car is nice, as again it may not be everyones cup of tea to race in racing cars all the time - like you were mainly limited to in Race07/GTR I felt.
  • Combine these factors with superb racing at Racedepartment, where there is always someone slightly slower or faster than you and it makes it a perfect sim for everyone really, but particuarly for those new to the game.
tldr: Buy the game. You won't regret it, and even if you're 2minutes off the pace you'll still have an amazing time keeping some cars between the lines!

Thanks. Already bought it via the RD store, installed and drove a Lotus around Monza until it ran out of fuel. Handling is pretty nice.

I switched it to pro, which caused me some issues under braking on the entry to the chicanes a few times, but I adapted with some careful driving and got the time down under 2:20 from an initial 3:07 while I was trying to get the FFB, Wheel settings and graphics sorted out.

My PC is old and creaky, but copes fine after the really long load time I suffer because it only has 2MB ram.

I'll have to get some of you added on Steam so I can see how much slower I am on the tracks. I only really know Monza out of the ones available, so learning the others will be a challenge. :speechless:

Assetto Corsa is a "Must Have" in my opinion, for anyone interested in racing sims. I'm not a very fast driver but, the driving experience in AC is top-tier stuff whether you are hot-lapping, racing AI or racing MP and there's much more to come.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 327 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 460 39.3%