How to weight up steering?

Hi guys,
Just got a new PC so I can finally play Assetto Corsa and was wondering what settings I could alter to weight up the steering in turns.
I'm trying to make the F40 sim as realistic as possible, and after driving the real thing my arms should hurt after the first few turns. Not expecting anything quite so drastic as that, but the steering does feel very light on my Logitech G27 at the moment.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Jonty

Hi Jonty,
You might want to try turning up the force feed back gain and road/slip effects in AC, as well as raising the settings in your Logitech profiler for heavier steering, but the real feel might not be reached due to technical (and safety) limitations.
Cheers.
Ricardo

They didn't seem to make much difference when changing in AC, other than lots of juddering whilst stationary along with the rattling noise whilst driving. I have the force feedback currently set to 100% in the logitech profiler. If I move this up will it potentially bugger up my wheel?

Mine's set like these for AC (not sure how much you've already done though):
1. In Logitech Profiler -for AC:
a. 100/0/0/900 (Gain, Spring, Damper)
b. disable centering spring, and Allow Game to Adjust Settings.

2. In-game AC:
Gain 83, Filter/Damping=0. 30/20/0 for Kerbs, Road, Slip. Min Force=14 to 16 (my wheel records this much deadzone with the wheelcheck app).

You can then try using the FFBClip app (search it in the apps thread in the mods section, or in the AC forum) to assist in finding an optimum FFB for a car/track combination.

You can then adjust the FFB for the particular car/track combination under the Setup menu when on track (under General Settings). As an example, for the 458 GT2, I have FFB set to 85 in this setup menu.

I don't drive the F40 but you can play with the Damping setting too if preferred.

It's unfortunate that the G27 has a lot of rattling due to the design, but if you're looking for 'strength', I believe it can produce enough to tire you. OTOH, too high settings may also generate clipping.

Last edited:
Ditto what others said about clipping. Make sure to use the new Kunos force slider to help to get enough force while avoiding clipping. It's pretty hard to clip in AC with a G27, other wheels I've found are plagued more by this, but use the in-game Kunos app just to check things.

I used to set my G27 much higher in the game. You should be able to use at least 90% gain and not get too much clipping.

I tried searching for that app last night but when I followed the link it said it wasn't available for some reason. Will have to try again tonight if I get the chance. Does that app actually let you change settings whilst in the game itself so you can test out the settings without going back to the main control settings screen?

I'll give those settings above a go thanks. Which slider exactly would it be to just stiffen everything up? Would it be the gain? What does the damping do?

Sorry I'm a total novice with FFB.

For your first question, you can adjust gain and dampening in the car/track combi setup screen tab.

In RD: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/ferito-livecartracker.3420/, and in AC: http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/calibrating-your-force-feedback-wheel-using-wheelcheck-and-ffbclip.14319. Has a good explanation on its usage too.

Furthermore, you might still want to read more on FFB. Here's one lengthy discussion & arguments. http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/like-your-ffb-strong-think-again.30763/. There are many others that you can search for too.

Thank for that Joel, that thread makes for interesting reading. So basically if I want to weight the steering I'll lose a lot of information through the wheel.

Hmmm, wonder if I can beef up the motors????

Thank for that Joel, that thread makes for interesting reading. So basically if I want to weight the steering I'll lose a lot of information through the wheel.

Hmmm, wonder if I can beef up the motors????
I think it's easy, if you don't mind clipping. High settings on the G27 can be tough and strenous already, unless you're similar to hulk :D.

Basically a G27 isn't going to be able to provide the kind of force you're looking for to make your arms hurt after a few turns no matter which settings you adjust. You should be looking for an Accuforce or Bodnar wheel.

I upgraded my wheel to the V2.5 Fanatec and now revisiting all the sims FFB settings. The V2.5 adds a lot more road in hand feel. Really like it over the V2.
I've been playing around with PC1 with very good results. PC1 has the most sophisticated FFB settings hands down and now that I have a good idea of what I'm looking for for FFB I'd like to get AC working to it's full potential.
Is there a way to turn up spindle weight without having it clip and without turning on any canned effects?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 318 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 217 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 213 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 159 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 276 13.5%