Alright when was that again.....?

This year nobody, he will finish the season for sure. Next season, well... RB has data for him and Gasly.
For me there are 2 things:
1) RB car compared to midfield - closer in 2020, much faster in 2019. With this in mind Gasly's results in 2019 look worse than Albon's this year.
2) Albon/Gasly compared to Max - :D no comment needed. As said by Appie, anyone will be slower in that seat, same as Bottas/Webber/Fisichella/Barichello were. Those guys were not so slow, but they were made look super slow because of guys in other car. To be honest, Albon still needs to show he can be part of that group and he has few races for that.

It's not just a matter of anyone being slower than Max, it's about how much slower, although I don't necessarily agree with the first statement either. Everyone was saying that with Alonso joining McLaren in 2007, but look what happened. Some day there will be a new driver entering F1 just as quick as Verstappen.

Of the currently available drivers, yeah they will probably be slower. However, there's a difference between being 2-3 tenths off and being five or more tenths off on average. Ricciardo was able to be close, Hulkenberg was reasonably close to Ricciardo in one lap pace while they were team-mates at Renault, so I'd say they'd have a pretty good chance of improving with Nico over Albon.

As everyone else typically prefaces their comments, "I like Albon and I want him to succeed."

In this last race, he was basically a menace on track. The incident with Kyvat was inexcusable as he just cut him off too soon. And then the "They race me so hard!" radio comment may be the last nail in the coffin.

I don't think anyone expects him to be as fast as Max. But if Max qualifies 3rd then I think it's fair to expect Albon to qualify no worse than 6th. He really should be 4th or 5th. I realize that the RB car is a handful for most drivers and Max seems to be OK with it, but Albon needs to get himself sorted.

His racecraft has been OK. Passes on the outside of medium-speed corners seem to be his signature move, which has been fun. But he was obviously pressing at the Ring and that was just not pretty.

I would expect either Perez or Hulk to have Albon's seat next year. Either would be a good wingman for Max. RBR needs someone who can help Max duel with the Mercedes or at least keep the midfield at bay. That's really hard to do when his teammate is starting in the middle of the grid and then pitting after 2 laps because he wore his tires down to the canvas with a silly lockup going for a move that wasn't there.

Noone is faster than Max in that car because the car is built around him, his needs and his driving style. Max complains a lot, but hardly ever over how the car drives, only the engine. That somehow proves to me it suits him a lot better than anyone else on the grid. As a young driver I'd steer well clear of that team and car, the car is a deathtrap drivability wise and Dr. Death isnt helping things either.
With that said; I think Hulkenberg can get more out of it. Simply because he has nothing to loose really and has a wealth of experience to help him set the car up to his liking.

So you think Max his RBR is not the same as Albon’s? Where do you get that from? Albon can use Max his setup or use his own.
Hulk won’t do better, you can manage that car or you can’t, Albon is still young, he will get it done, replacing is nonsence.

So you think Max his RBR is not the same as Albon’s?
He didn't say that. He said that RB car with it's characteristics is better suited to Max's style. And that RB tries to make car like that. Which is normal, there is no point in making car suitable to your slower driver or driver you don't want to keep. That's why RB will make it suit to Max, Ferrari will make it suit to Leclerc, Merc will make it suit to Hamilton and so on. Other car will be the same, but even with same setup driver B cant use his own style to make car go as fast as driver A with his style. Simply because car is not designed to be driven in that "driver B" way...

P.S. I still think that Max is driver, at the moment, that can sit in any car and beat the driver that car is made for. Except maybe Hamilton.

Possibly. But Hulk has more experience which is why I think he may be able to get more out of it.
And as Sasha said, I never said the cars were different, they're the same, just that it suited Max better.

Last edited:
It is a tough call. Max is team leader and he dose not want a team mate beating him. So you want someone gullible enough to follow him and keep up with him. Maybe a pole or odd win but not outscore him.
But people go to F1 to win and beat team mates, Once you have a Red Bull chassis you can deliver. The big question is who will replace Honda. If it is Renault then a driver connected to Renault.

It is a tough call. Max is team leader and he dose not want a team mate beating him. So you want someone gullible enough to follow him and keep up with him. Maybe a pole or odd win but not outscore him.
But people go to F1 to win and beat team mates, Once you have a Red Bull chassis you can deliver. The big question is who will replace Honda. If it is Renault then a driver connected to Renault.

The best option would be Max and Ham in one team, good against boring :thumbsup:

The best option would be Max and Ham in one team, good against boring :thumbsup:
Sounds like a Prost V Senna senario war will happen. That said in the way teams are structured data and talented people are put on one side so drivers don't have access to the same shot in the race. Its like 2 children. You want to be fair to both but you will always have a favorite and they will get better treatment.

Well, they had the best possible guy they could have in the team, but they drove him away due to the usual internal RB politics...
I hope Hülk gets the seat, but honestly Herr Marko & Horner have made this mess themselves, only deserved that they struggle with it.

Haha yes, my wife (from another room overhearing the race) said something like "Wow - either that is tremendously exciting or that announcer is a little overzealous."

Every race, if you only listened to the audio you would think the first lap of an F1 race is the most intensely exciting occurence in sport, bar none.

Actually - to be honest the first lap of most races are more exciting than the opening moments of most other sports. And in F1, sadly, it IS usually the most action packed part of the entire event!
This is only my 3rd season watching F1, but I have watched some of the classic races too. Murray Walker certainly could get to be a bit "shrill" too. Poor Crofty - when the action stays intense beyond the first few turns he needs to get the lead singer from A-ha to sub in for more pitch.

Crofty is not that old, but his accuracy in reporting the action is right up there with Walker around when he retired. Poor Brundle indeed. It seems that it's his lot in his commentary life to constant correct people who often don't know what's going on. I'm sure he's well-compensated for it and he does get to hang out at various corners of the track during FP3, so I guess it's not all bad.

I would much prefer Alex Jacques in the F1 booth. His F2 commentary is much better than Croft, IMO.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back