How To: Use the "Skins" function in rFactor Caterhams

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
rFactor uses a very simple yet elegant way of handling add-on skins (although I'm not sure all mods support this). Rather than creating new vehicles, which would require updating the server every time, and possibly causing mismatches and people being locked out of games, the mods that support it have a "skins" folder inside their structure, eg. 'rFactor\GameData\Vehicles\[mod or vehicle name]\[subclass if used]\skins'

For the Caterhams (as used below in the pictures to show how it works) it would be - for an Academy class car - 'rFactor\GameData\Vehicles\Caterham\Academy\skins'

That way, all people have to do is drop a single file per skin into that directory if they want to use and/or see all the custom liveries.

But if they don't want the hassle, they will see the default skin of the car that's been chosen, and there are no vehicle based mismatches.

Here's how it works:
1. Buy the car that you want to use - in this case the default Academy racer.
cat1.jpg

2. Drop the skins you want to use and see into the 'rFactor\GameData\Vehicles\Caterham\Academy\skins' folder.
cat2.jpg

3. BEFORE you go into a race/testing/championship, you will be at the main screen with the car slowly spinning. Go into the "Customize" tab, and click "Vehicle".

You will be taken to the vehicle chooser, with your current car highlighted. There are 4 tabs above there, one marked "skins". Select that and you will then see the skins you've just dropped into the folder I mention above.
cat3.jpg

4. Choose the skin you want to use (assuming you want to use one of course), and you will see your car clothed in the skin. You can proceed to the track from that point and you will:-

a) see your car in the skin.
b) be able to see any other cars that are using any of those skins in online races.
c) be seen in your chosen skin by anyone else who has that skin in the correct 'skins' folder
cat4.jpg

Thanks to Wee Eck for explaining it all to me in the first place:veryhappy:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back