How to stop my Ikea Markus chair from pulling away when I brake?

Do you have any ideas? i've seen this guy trying to put cable on the wheels:

Didnt work for me.

Any other ideas?

Ive seen tehre are some sort of platforms that attach the chair to the wheel, but maybe that is annoying as hell.

Should I just give up and keep using my wodden chair from the kitchen? (I dont have enough money to buy another separate computer to have a permanent playseat on it)

When I used to race with a chair with wheels I originally used a I used square of carpet on the floor with a single timber laid left to right with the front wheels hooked over it which raised them slightly above the floor.

When I went to a pedal set that required more force the brake the timber would sometimes roll 90 degrees and then lock on the wheels again which would leave me stranded too far away from the pedals mid-race after a couple of times.

To remedy that I created a triangle from 3x2 timber. Laying the triangle on the carpet gave a base I could put the chair on which raised all the wheels just above the floor. Effectively creating a chair with a static base. You still get some swivel but it worked very well. After racing I could just slide away the triangle down the side of my desk and have a normal chair again. If I went back to desk racing I'd take the same approach again.

Upvote 0
I made a frame (like a 'ladder') from cheap 2" x 2" that locked the pedals and hooked two of the chair legs/feet (two pieces front and back of the chair wheels) to lock the pedals firmly. Used that for a year, and still wonder, with a good office seat, if it's better than the Playseat Challenge I use now, which is uncomfortable and unstable. Shamefully, I nailed the frame together in 15mins :laugh:

My CAD design is here:whistling:;
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When I used to race with a chair with wheels I originally used a I used square of carpet on the floor with a single timber laid left to right with the front wheels hooked over it which raised them slightly above the floor.

When I went to a pedal set that required more force the brake the timber would sometimes roll 90 degrees and then lock on the wheels again which would leave me stranded too far away from the pedals mid-race after a couple of times.

To remedy that I created a triangle from 3x2 timber. Laying the triangle on the carpet gave a base I could put the chair on which raised all the wheels just above the floor. Effectively creating a chair with a static base. You still get some swivel but it worked very well. After racing I could just slide away the triangle down the side of my desk and have a normal chair again. If I went back to desk racing I'd take the same approach again.

Timber? like from a tree? im in spain in some flat, i cant do any of that. Ive tried a carpet... the carpet moved. The floor is a bit like marble texture.

Upvote 0
I made a frame (like a 'ladder') from cheap 2" x 2" that locked the pedals and hooked two of the chair legs/feet (two pieces front and back of the chair wheels) to lock the pedals firmly. Used that for a year, and still wonder, with a good office seat, if it's better than the Playseat Challenge I use now, which is uncomfortable and unstable. Shamefully, I nailed the frame together in 15mins :laugh:

How do you reckon this would work?

seems like a crafty solution, but I cant find any way to buy it.

Upvote 0
Timber? like from a tree? im in spain in some flat, i cant do any of that. Ive tried a carpet... the carpet moved. The floor is a bit like marble texture.
Timber, like from the DIY store. I'm not Canadian enough to cut my own :whistling:
1577833276379.png

Just some super cheap unfinished stuff is fine for the job. One 2m length is plenty to complete the whole thing.

Upvote 0
I use an office chair that has a rope sling to two carabiner hooks on the pedals. Works fine and is easily attached/detached.

I also have a piece of pipe going from the pedals to under one of the legs of the chair to prevent the pedal base from tilting.

Upvote 0
The old sneakers idea sounded so goofy and janky when it was first recommended to me, but it really works. I vastly prefer it to the wheel stoppers. I thought I wasn't going to be able to race at all until my art got here but the shoes have been a really simple solution.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem especially after upgrading my pedals from the cheap stock ones which come with the Logitech DForce GT to the CSL Elite. Until then, i just put two doorstoppers (this one) under the wheels. That was mediocre and no long term solution. I wanted to build a frame like @Medilloni did but I found a wooden plate which I bought some time ago but never used and had an idea worth trying.

Here are the pictures of my "construction". I think they are pretty much self explaining. It is really easy to "build" it and you only do need an appropriate attachment for your drill and a wooden plate. Mine is 120x50x2cm which should do the trick for most people (I am 192cm tall and have enough distance between chair and pedals).

chair1.png
chair2.png

Upvote 0
Hey,

I've got the same Problem and did a solution in CAD. Will try it in the next few days and post some Pictures. I will just use my desk, Chair and the Wheelstand to hold everything together with a 5 meter ratchet strap.
Should work.
Zeichnung1 Model (1).jpg

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years