F1 2014 How to stop fishtailing?

F1 2014 The Game (Codemasters)
You need to be gentle on the throttle.
Gentle press the throttle and apply more as you pull away from the corner and gain traction.
Im a very gung-ho driver, in all games I tend to floor the throttle straight away but in F1 2014 Im finding that I cannot drive like that and have to feather the throttle to a) keep pace with the ai and b) make my tyres last.

don't floor it until you have the steering straight, and short shift the lower gears.

Short shifting the lower gears into turns seems to be the way of this year's game. Oddly though, I am getting some fast exits from turns that are hard to take in 2nd by entering in 2nd, quick shift to 1st at the point where you need to really change direction, almost immeiately and quickly shifting back to second prior to exit. I have R53% brake, but am not applying brakes during the quick shifts, yet the rear tyres do get hit by this. Essentially for a brief moment the car goes into drift. Seems to be quite a bit of drift in the real life cars as well.

Seems also there is sometimes a reluctance in the game car to shift rapidly down to 1st.

Oddly though, I am getting some fast exits from turns that are hard to take in 2nd by entering in 2nd, quick shift to 1st at the point where you need to really change direction, almost immeiately and quickly shifting back to second prior to exit.
Essentially for a brief moment the car goes into drift.
That's realistic, downshifting with high revs can cause wheel spin. I recently noticed this in Assetto Corsa driving the Lotus 98T (F1 car from 1985).

Short shifting the lower gears into turns seems to be the way of this year's game. Oddly though, I am getting some fast exits from turns that are hard to take in 2nd by entering in 2nd, quick shift to 1st at the point where you need to really change direction, almost immeiately and quickly shifting back to second prior to exit. I have R53% brake, but am not applying brakes during the quick shifts, yet the rear tyres do get hit by this. Essentially for a brief moment the car goes into drift. Seems to be quite a bit of drift in the real life cars as well.

Seems also there is sometimes a reluctance in the game car to shift rapidly down to 1st.
I haven't played in a while (don't really like the game), but i rarely used first, but i still quick shifted on exit from second to third and sometimes third to forth.

I haven't played in a while (don't really like the game), but i rarely used first, but i still quick shifted on exit from second to third and sometimes third to forth.

Same with me; I rarely used first, but had control of gear ratios, which you don't with this year's game even at season start. I feel the 1st gear is pitched way too short, making it barely usable in some slow corners, but where 2nd is slightly too long for those corners. Might be something to do with using the Xbox controller, with which I find it difficult to brake with any sort of precise control mid-turn. So I tend to try to be at the right speed for the turn on entry for some turns and use a lot of engine braking with other turns - which is not ideal, and also magnifies the short 1st gear if used.

I somehow have amazing control in 1st gear.. sliding the car into corners, found it quicker than actually going 2nd with full stability
1st gear I used in Malaysia for my career and got 2nd
2nd gear I used in Australia and got 10th

See the difference :D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years