How to start well a race ?

Hi All,

As asked how do you proceed to start a race ?

Myself I engage the first gear applying full brake pedal and full throttle but i'm always moving before the green lights signal. How to stop moving doing so ? Holding in the same time the handbrakes ?

Any advices appreciated.

I simply put the car in 1st, apply the clutch (just use a button an the wheel if you don't have a pedal) and rev the engine where I want it to be. Lights go out, clutch gets let loose and off we go :)

When hills are involved.. well.. I don't think we have started on a decline for quite a while? Ledenon was quite interesting, starting upwards a hill made me inch forward 2-3 times in order to not roll back :D

Thank you for your suggestions. I have a G25 but using automatic clutch and manual shifting gears with the padles.

I asked that because watching on video Stream on Steam a guy start (before the red lights are estinguished) with the first gear engaged and full pedal gas applyed and he is not moving at all.
Strange starting so but I wonder how to do this.

If you're not into using the clutch, rev the motor but leave the gear in neutral until the lights are out then just punch the gear to 1st. Not perfect but works better than being in 1st at idle then throttling up.

Also, Like Andy said :)

Thanks friends for the help. I found how to do a good start. Like above said I rev up the engine in yellow range marks in neutral gear when the red lights are up and as soon as the red lights go down I engage the first gear applying in the same time full throttle pedal. I slip a bit at the beginning but engaging the second gear quick time after all become normal.
Thank you very much for your advices and good races to all.

Thank you to all, with the advices above, I just discover even a setup in autoclutch I can use always the clutch pedal ! I'm a noob to discover that only now and following your advices. It is like I discover again Race07 even I own this game since 1 or 2 years ago XD. Xcuse me it is certainly caused by my old age (60 here).
Warm regards

@gege21 all autoclutch does is keep your motor running if you spin to a stop. If autocluch is off you must depress the clutch pedal[button] to keep the engine running or have a starter button allocated so you can restart.
Thanks dear Dennis... What is strange for me is when I set autoclutch in setup that enable also the pedal clutch functionning (or button mapped). Cause in real life on a car with autoclutch there is no pedal clutch wich permit engaging gears or disengaging gears just one stick to put forward, neutral and backward but no pedal clutch and I was thinking that was the same ingame so the clutch pedal was nothing to do by setting on autoclutch. In game I had never tryed before to use clutch pedal to engage(disengage) gears setting up the autoclutch function.
Perhaps I missunderstand autoclutch and automatic gears functions.

Last edited:
To add a bit, there is no reason in Race07, and many other sims also, to use a chutch when shifting gears. There is no reason to blip the throttle to match rpm's.In Race 07 you do not need a clutch to start a race with, just raise the rev's and punch first gear. Of course, you may use the clutch in a realistic fashion if you so desire. Some have said you get a faster shift using the clutch, but I doubt it.

With autoclutch turned off, you need to depress the clutch or get the transmission into neutral before the engine quits when you spin and a restart of the engine can only be done if the clutch is depressed or you are in neutral.
The same holds true if you have gone to the pit to take on fuel.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 124 13.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 96 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 91 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 65 6.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 131 13.7%