How to set up your steering wheel for Stock Car Extreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renato Simioni

Reiza Studios
Steering wheel alignment with in-game wheels & eliminating steering lag

To match your steering rotation with the in-game steering wheel rotation, just make sure your "GRAPHICAL STEERING WHEEL RANGE" setting in CONTROLS menu matches your controller setting - be that 180, 270, 540, 900 or whatever - this setting affects the in-game graphical steering wheel rotation only. If the controller setting and this in-game setting are the same, both graphical and controller wheels steering position will match 1:1.

If the controller setting and in-game steering wheel rotation are the same but they are still not aligning all the time or lagging, check that:

- steering help is switched off;
- speed sensitivity slider in CONTROLS > CONTROLLER 2 menu is at 0%;
- your FPS performance is over 60 FPS;
- VSync is switched off.

Setting up the correct steering ratio

For controlling the car you also need to ensure the steering ratio is correct. This is the ratio between your controller steering rotation and in-game steering lock (the maximum angle the front wheels will turn, set from the Garage menu).

Default steering lock for all cars is 14 degrees, which is suitable for 270º of steering rotation from your controller. You can achieve better & more realistic steering ratio by setting steering rotation & steering lock as below:

-For the formula cars, MR18, Marcas and the StockV8s, set your controller rotation to 450-540 degrees, and steering lock to 18-24 degrees;

-For the Camaro, Opala and Mini set steering rotation to 900º, and steering lock to 30-33 degrees;

-For the karts, set steering to 180º, keeping default steering lock of 16 degrees.

Keep in mind that the steering rotation that is relevant to steering ratio is from your controller profile - the steering rotation you can set from the CONTROLS menu is just for the graphical steering wheel.

Force Feedback settings

Logitech G25 / G27
p6ZWaLK.jpg

(sorry for portuguese but should be self-explanatory)

As described above, 270 degrees of rotation is suitable for the default steering lock in all cars. It is recommended however that this setting is adjusted to what is more suitable for each car, which will require re-adjusting this setting both in Logitech profile as well as the "GRAPHICAL STEERING WHEEL RANGE" in the Controls menu.

You don´t necessarily have to access the Logitech profile to change wheel rotation with the G25 / G27 - you can do it from the controller itself, by holding the two middle red buttons and press one of the following:

Top: 240 degrees

Right: 670 degrees

Left: 450 degrees

Bottom: 900 degrees

Apparently this also will work for the DFGT, but obviously the settings and buttons to press are different.

In-game there is no secret - just use the settings from the default G25 / G27 profiles, making sure
FFB effects is set to Low and strentgh to -100% . Adjust "GRAPHICAL STEERING WHEEL RANGE" to match your Logitech profile setting:

PHFhIGc.jpg

ALaz9Bn.jpg

(Not that the "HEAD MOVEMENT / LOOK AHEAD / EXAGGERATE YAW sliders are for the view movement in-cockpit, not related to the actual controller setting. Digital rates are relevant for keyboards / gamepad users)
NvYYX1k.jpg

There is naturally a degree of of personal taste to these settings - you may increase centering force for example if you prefer more resistance from the wheel around the center, or you may increase FFB effects in-game from LOW to add canned effects, but these settings should provide the purest FFB.

Settings for TM T500 RS & Fanatec CSR V1/V2 will follow up shortly.

Last edited:
Well they have adapters for that issue don't they. Also the power supply for the DFGT plugs into the base of the wheel itself, its not permanently attached. Theoretically you could find a correct power supply in North America that should work just as well in the same unit.

I just tried that, should I say, famous Ferrari vs Porsche mod and, although it did look great, have to say that it's force feedback is total turn off. But, since so many of you love this mod I fuigured it's must be me.
So is anyone have any ideas ?
My FF feel, and you know that feel, kind of... wimpy. Lifeless and like on some rFactor mods - feels like it's reversed ...prehaps. :unsure:
Now, I did try opposite FF value (my standard is on -66, now I push it to +66) but without any significant changes. I remember in rF you can press Ctrl+num8 for reverse effect in FF, so I tried that too but also - no change.

And this is not the only mod, I must say, with this problem. F1 1994 also feels that kind... wimpy.
If it matters - my wheel is quite old Logitech momo FF wheel.
Any ideas guys ? Anyone ? :(

Last edited:
Yes, I think it's too wimpy BUT - only for some mods.
So, I'm pretty much sure I haven't done something right.
GSCE have great FF but in mods like Ferrari vs Porsche or F1 1994 that ...whimpy feel appear.

Any solution, please ?

edit:
I have add that real feel settings information into RealFeel text file from game main folder, I don't think I've made any mistake there.

Last edited:
Well I can't help you much if I find that the FF for the Ferrari vs Porsche mod feels to me like its TOO strong compared to other cars at the same FF setting.

Of course a normal thing you should be doing is altering the total FF setting for individual cars or mods. If its too wimpy go higher than 66%. If its too strong, drop it down to like 40%.

Of course perhaps you should ensure that realfeel is working. You can either run the console for realfeel and see if its outputting data for those cars or just show us a screencap of the realfeel config file so we can make sure you entered it correctly.

Regarding the 240 degrees of the Thurstmaster T100, I have top 5 GTL Rank laptimes using a Logitech Momo Force wheel (the red one), That is apparently 270 degrees. It's fine. Also, my RF1 best laptimes only improved by, hmmm...., I'd say 1-3 tenths (0.1s - 0.3s) when I switched to the T500RS. Therefore you should be just fine :)...

However, it's much less realistic. What I did (and what many people did "back in the day") was use a faster steering ratio than normal (since you only have 270 degrees of real-life rotation) and then to counteract that initial over-sensitivity, lower the steering sensitivity. I think I used somewhere between 35% and 42%, I can't remember for sure.

There is an option in ISI engined games (SCE, RF2, etc.) which boosts your steering ratio under a certain speed (to help with things like getting out of the pits and such). You'd normally want this disabled, but if you have a limited rotation wheel, then you'd normally want this set to something like 25 kp/h or something. This option might still be enabled by default to this day; I always make sure to go into the controller file and make sure it's set to 0 since I don't normally use a 240 or 270 degree wheel.

Last edited:
Regarding the 240 degrees of the Thurstmaster T100, I have top 5 GTL Rank laptimes using a Logitech Momo Force wheel (the red one), That is apparently 270 degrees. It's fine. Also, my RF1 best laptimes only improved by, hmmm...., I'd say 1-3 tenths (0.1s - 0.3s) compared with my T500RS. It's fine. However, it's much less realistic. What I did (and what many people did "back in the day") was use a faster steering ratio than normal (since you only have 270 degrees of real-life rotation) and then to counteract that initial over-sensitivity, lower the steering sensitivity. I think I used somewhere between 35% and 42%, I can't remember for sure..
Logitech momo (BLACK one, newer) wheel have 240 degrees rotation. The old one (RED one) has 270, he also had metal pedals and leather instead of rubber wheel cover. They go for cheaper materials for second momo and slash their price by half. :)
OLD:
momo02.jpg

NEW:
f1c36ea3-7fef-4903-8c75-c60f55ac20a1_1.jpg

This might be a bit of a dumb question, but: how does it handle with a 270 degree wheel? I'm asking because I'm considering a T100 as an entry level FFB wheel.
I think I could live with the low wheel rotation, but I have no idea if it's bearable.
My old 360 Modena doesn't have FFB and is only 180°, but it's kinda fun for a 15 year old wheel that's literally falling apart.

Yes with a 270 deg wheel the sqrt thing won't work. That's because 270 isn't anywhere even close to what a real car would have. You therefore have to select a kind of fake rotation like 360 degs in-game then 'de-sensitise' that with the 'linearity' and 'speed sensitivity' sliders. My first wheel was a Logitech EX and it only had 200 degs. I always used 360 with it which was perfectly usable once I found the correct linearity etc.:)

Yes with a 270 deg wheel the sqrt thing won't work. That's because 270 isn't anywhere even close to what a real car would have. You therefore have to select a kind of fake rotation like 360 degs in-game then 'de-sensitise' that with the 'linearity' and 'speed sensitivity' sliders. My first wheel was a Logitech EX and it only had 200 degs. I always used 360 with it which was perfectly usable once I found the correct linearity etc.:)

Thanks for your reply! I found an used DFGT in the meanwhile, so I guess I'll have 900 degrees.

Logitech momo (BLACK one, newer) wheel have 240 degrees rotation. The old one (RED one) has 270, he also had metal pedals and leather instead of rubber wheel cover. They go for cheaper materials for second momo and slash their price by half. :)
OLD:
momo02.jpg

NEW:
f1c36ea3-7fef-4903-8c75-c60f55ac20a1_1.jpg
Well, the black one is also old :) , It's the first wheel I ever owned. I purchased it in 2003 or 2004 (whenever I first started simracing). The red one (Momo Force) also has a different FFB mechanism/motor. It's smoother than the black (Momo Racing) and more responsive. Also, I always feel like the black one had a bit of input lag where the red was much more instant. The red is on another level and is much, much better than the black. I sold my T500RS and until I get a Fana CSW V2 or an OSW (OpenSimwheel) I will be using the Momo Force (red) as I kept it as my backup.

wow, I wanted to try this, but I can't believe the problems out of the box.
I have the demo lite version.

no DFGT preset so created one.
Steering is all over the place. Don't know what slider does what.
Steering too easy near center. once it gets past 45 degree rotation, FFB turns the wheel even further. Usually logitech profiler opens with every racing game I have tried. Except this one.

What the heck do I do now?

Hope somebody can enlighten me:

I use the settings posted by Reiza (using a G27)

Yesterday i took the Formula Vee for a quick spin, and that's to be taken literally :)
My problem is that i don't feel when i'm losing the back of my car.
I hear the tires and i can see that the car isn't going where it should, but i can't say that i can really feel the loss of grip. So whenever i start reacting it's already too late and there's no chance of avoiding the spin.

What could improve the situation?

Will have to run some tests, but i think in AC i have a better feeling for the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 76 12.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 55 9.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 63 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 36 5.9%