How to: overtake slower cars in the Le Mans Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bram

Founder & Administrator
Staff
Premium
Correct me if i am wrong but in the real life LMS/ALMS the blue flag is hardly used. Slower cars (GT1/GT2) are allowed to race on their fastest lines and LMP's should use their surplus on power to overtake the cars.

You don't need to get out of the way as quick as possible when a LMP1 or LMP2 is in your mirror. They need to overtake you clean where they have the possibility to do so.

I just stay on my line. (racing line). But when there is corner i run him a little bit wider to give some room, but not like a huge gap. I always try to position myself in the other person. If i am in LMP1 and need to overtake a GT2. But there is no room like the fast Chicanes at Vitus or the first 4 corners in Silverstone, i just stay behind. Because i also know how frustrating i can be for a GT car. And then use my power to get past. :)

Drivers about to go a lap down, or are already one or more laps down should not block or race the cars attempting to lap them. It is up to the passing car to make a clean safe pass. If a lapped car does block a lead lap car, then the lapped car may be penalized. WHILE THE RESPONSIBILITY FOR A SAFE PASS RESTS WITH THE OVERTAKING CAR, let people lapping you pass by holding your line and speed. If the passing car is inside you, slowly lift off the gas and allow them to complete the pass. Do not contest the pass going into the corner. Or you can move to the low side after exiting a corner. However, do make sure that you do this smoothly. DO NOT SLOW DRASTICALLY! DO NOT CHANGE LINES ABRUPTLY. Some of the tracks are very difficult to pass on unless there is cooperation between the drivers.

The most safest way to do it is when slower car keeps the normal racing line. Then there will be nothing surprising. LMP's can easily find a way to overtake after that. No sudden moves or throttle lifting on straights when faster car is behind. Just let them do the work and leave a door bit open if you are going in corner side by side. No one have to slow down much and everyone are happy. :)

That's how I see it.

In all seriousness I think that gt cars should probably go off line in fast sweeping corners like the first part of nordschleife (flugplatz I think it is) or the fast turns at sachsenring because the lmp cars are so much faster because of low center of gravity and high downforce. If there is a lmp duel then you might give an advantage to the first lmp car passing if they can't pass at once.

"be predictable" is the key, yes - but would require 'black flag only' on server, it was'nt last time I raced here (dunno if it is now) - gave me warnings for an LMP2 which was 2-3 cars behind me, I was in GT1 the 2 behind me where GT2 and behind THEM where a LMP2. I basicly had to park the car NOT to get a stop'n'go :p

In all seriousness I think that gt cars should probably go off line in fast sweeping corners like the first part of nordschleife (flugplatz I think it is) or the fast turns at sachsenring because the lmp cars are so much faster because of low center of gravity and high downforce. If there is a lmp duel then you might give an advantage to the first lmp car passing if they can't pass at once.

You have to remember that the GT cars are having their own race as well. They can't simply disappear. The correct course of action is for the GT car to stay on the racing line and allow the faster LMP to find it's way around. This offers the LMP driver "predictable" behavior of the slower car.

The main problem is the different driving lines the cars will take in certain turns. On certain tracks like Fuji, the GT line has late apexes on quite a few turns. This can give the impression to a LMP driver that the GT driver is leaving the turn open for a pass, only to come down onto the LMP in mid turn. If the LMP drivers understand the racing lines of the GT cars for the track, it makes it much easier for both cars to work together for sucessful overtaking.

I think most important things are already said, except this important one I experienced lately.

On straights which end in a tight corner, some LMP drivers pass near the end of the straight and immediately steer in front of you while you just approach your braking zone. The LMPs then brake very hard and those GTs have less good brakes and might crash into them.

So please LMPs, don't pass and steer in front of GTs when they approach their braking zone. Just stay on your passing line.

I think most important things are already said, except this important one I experienced lately.

On straights which end in a tight corner, some LMP drivers pass near the end of the straight and immediately steer in front of you while you just approach your braking zone. The LMPs then brake very hard and those GTs have less good brakes and might crash into them.

So please LMPs, don't pass and steer in front of GTs when they approach their braking zone. Just stay on your passing line.

The LMPs should be able to go through the corner faster and not need to brake as hard at the GTs.

Granted but the GT's should realise that coming into a corner those LMP's MAY be under them. I have seen, and been involved in, instances where the GT has gone wide into the corner then slammed into the side of the LMP that has been patiently waiting for the oppotunity,

Yes, you should take a look at my post (a few posts back). Sometimes the GT line is a late apex. LMP's may not need such a wide line through the turn since they have much more aero. LMP drivers need to understand the GT line so they don't "think" the GT car is going wide to let them through only to have the GT car slam into them at the apex (causing issues for both cars).

Brake testing is not a crime :p j/k
Some of that boxing reminded me of Vettel in Monza Grand Prix going under the old track blocking Fisichella I think it was.
You all make good points about what the rules are. Though rules and regulations almost never match practice/reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 112 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 152 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 289 27.4%