How to not suck at rFactor?

Hi guys,

I've had rFactor for ages now but never really put much time in to it because, honestly, I'm terrible at it. One of the main issues that I have is exiting corners. I like to drive open wheel mods (currently using FSR with the hopes of improving enough to participate in one of the online series but that's not looking likely at this rate...) and it seems that I constantly have the following issues:
  • Can't hit braking points correctly. Either I brake way too early and arrive at the corner too slow, or else brake too late and overshoot, meaning I'm running wide through the turn.
  • Struggle with traction coming out of the corners. This one is the weirdest one; I try to be gentle and feed in the throttle gradually, but either I end up putting down too much power or else crawl out of the corner and then get up to speed, by which point I've been passed.
Generally, my lap times are anything from three to ten seconds off everyone else's and I can't see how to get better. When I put in a perfect lap where everything seems to go well, I'm still miles behind and it's frustrating because it seems no matter how much I vary my braking points, pressure applied to the pedals etc. I just can't seem to iron out the above problems and make progress. It's very rare that I can string together a lap where I don't make a mistake and it's getting to the point where I'm considering just giving up.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can maybe work out why I can't get these things right and start to actually drive the sim properly?

Thanks.

I find they do some stupid things and aren't always taking the best lines. You are better off learning from watching the faster guys, but if you can't do that...

1. When you first hop in the car you could watch the AI for a couple of laps to familiarize yourself with the track before going out to do your own laps.

2. Once you are stuck at a plateau, you could watch to see if they are taking an alternate line that is faster and try it out to see if it improves your times.

3. Practice executing clean passes on slower, inconsist cars.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back