How to maximise Assetto Corsa on dated hardware?

Ross Balfour

#99 | Roaring Pipes Maniacs
So basically, in what can only be described as a spur of the moment decision, I purchased AS after only looking at a few trailers and screenshots. - I truly am a marketers dream.
Anyway, as some of you may remember me from a few years back, I was massive into my Race07/GTR Evolution in and around 2008-2011. Sadly however my computer is now 7 years old and with a pitiful 2GB of RAM, it can barely run AS with more than 8 AI cars on the field. This creates a major issue for me, as I fear the pain and despair that will naturally occur for me the second multiplayer becomes available, as it will be almost unplayable.

So that brought me to my video settings within AS itself, and despite a few minor tweaks I still can't get the game running as smoothly as I would like. Does anyone have any suggestions on what settings to run to maximise the game on pretty dated software, and additionally, what would any of you recommend I do to find a cheap way of upgrading my specs so it can run smooth as butter.

Thanks!

Are you in the UK?
Hunt Gumtree and the like for a used GPU. Possible to find a GTX580 for under a ton. Still a very decent card by today's standards if lacking in VRAM compared to new cards.
This will probably mean an upgrade of your PSU. Don't scrimp on this, get a certified 80 plus bronze. Doesn't have to be expensive..... Coolermaster and Antec etc do a budget one.

I am indeed, Northern Ireland!

Cheers for all the advice guys, I'll wait for my next paycheck from my part time job and try to shop about for the cheapest deals.

hi im getting 5 fps. can you check my spec.
windows 7 64bit
4 mb ram
intel core 2 quad q9300 @2.5ghz
nvidia geforce g100

tnx
did you activate directx10.1? Open graphics.ini in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg and edit and change =0 to =1 ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_DX10=0.
Then in game completely turn every video setting down, including mirrors, and turn off pp effects.

But you definitely need a new pc. Build a custom gaming desktop pc (or buy a pre-built gaming pc); is the best choice.

i did change the 0 to 1 . i learned the hard way cause game kept returning to main screen after i pressed start engine. got me frustrated for 3 whole days after trying everything on the forums i read about 0 - 1 and tryed it and it worked. would you go for ebay system selling for 240 sterling or would it be cheaper to get a friend to build one. is this enough for assetto?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 314
I currently play live for speed and love it. is it worth paying for new pc just for assetto ? is it that much better in realism and fun
I think it is, but also depends if you have a ffb steering wheel. If you just want to use mouse or keyboard, then is better to stay with live for speed.

The PC you showed seems adequate enough, but the problem is the graphics card. Seems to be weak for modern games. Unless you buy a dedicated graphics card that is able to run modern directx11 games at minimum 60fps. If your friend knows about pc specs and games, then you need to consult with him, to ensure you're not buying a pc where you can't run well the games you just bought, like assetto corsa in this case.

Late reply, but it can be done. I have a 8 yr old dell xps 420, Intel core 2 quad 2.57 ghz 5 gigs ram, but.... Put in a r9 290 gfx card. And then... A month of tweeting to get 45 fps multiplayer 23 cars, spa, turn down everything, if u r racing u don't notice the lack of world detail, the guy who mentioned Windows services was right on, it,s the key. U need to get the comp. to show 1 gig ram usage at idle...... I do ocasionaly get some opponents time warping, but it,s rare. Hope this helps someone with an older system.
Cheers,

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back