How to map Controller buttons? FH4

I have a couple different gamepads that I use on PC, one is a Thrustmaster and the other is some no-name brand one. They all work in EVERY SINGLE GAME except Forza Horizon 4.

They respond 100% perfectly in the Windows game controllers control panel thing. All buttons, analog triggers, analog joysticks, etc. As long as they work in Windows, shouldn't they automatically work in game?

In every other game, I just go to the controller section and map the buttons and it simply works. Assetto Corsa, RFactor 1, RFactor 2, Automobilista 1, Raceroom, Wreckfest, GTR 2, etc. When I go into Forza Horizon 4, I click on the control I'm trying to map, the game comes up and says to click whatever button I want to use for throttle (or steering, or gear down or whatever), I think click the button on the controller and nothing happens.

Is this just a case of Microsoft "being Microsoft"? Ie. If you use a controller they haven't officially certified then they block you from be able to play? I mean the controllers work perfect in every other game including games that came out 20 years ago way before these controllers were ever released. As long as the controllers' buttons are recognized by Windows shouldn't they automatically work in any Windows game? What's the deal with FH4?

What's weird is that I cannot find a single thread about this online. I've seen tons of threads and websites where people are complaining about being forced to map certain buttons they don't need (like some sort of "Anna" feature) but I cannot find any threads on people simply not being able to map any controls at all. Well, it can't be my PC because absolutely every single other game works 100% perfectly and, on top of that, I've tried on another PC and the problem still exists. What's going on?

Last edited:
Forza games only support XInput gamepads, and your gamepads are probably DirectInput gamepads. Are you playing the game via Steam? In this case you should be able to emulate an XInput gamepad via the Steam controller settings. For the Microsoft Store version of the game, you need a tool like x360ce version 4.x to emulate an XInput gamepad.

You don't see any discussion about that because most people use Xbox gamepads these days, so this is what new games are designed to work with.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back