How to Lower Reprojection Ratio in SteamVR

Using FPSVR, I'm getting reprojection ratios of over 50% in most of my sims. (Dropped frames is 0). Is that a cause for concern? If so, what steps are necessary to lower the reprojection ratio? Is it related to lack of videoRAM? I have a 3Gig videocard and FPSVR shows videoRAM being used close to the max.

Thanks!

It's just your GPU not being fast enough to perform any better. And 3GB of VRAM is pretty low for today's games and even worse for VR as it's rendering to two hi-res screens which uses a good amount of memory. Lowering the in-game visual settings to the minimum will help a bit, but you'll still use a lot of reprojection. You haven't mentioned what graphic card you have, but 3GB of VRAM makes it's fairly obvious it's a budget GPU.

It's just your GPU not being fast enough to perform any better. And 3GB of VRAM is pretty low for today's games and even worse for VR as it's rendering to two hi-res screens which uses a good amount of memory. Lowering the in-game visual settings to the minimum will help a bit, but you'll still use a lot of reprojection. You haven't mentioned what graphic card you have, but 3GB of VRAM makes it's fairly obvious it's a budget GPU.

It's an Nvidea GeForce 1060 3Gb. I found this videocard on Amazon - Would upgrading to it make a significant improvement in VR Performance?

Thanks for your response!

A GTX 1060 is a good card of single-screen gaming at 1920×1080 60FPS. An Oculus Rift/HTC Vive resolution is 2160x1200, so you get the idea of it's underpowered for top tier VR. To be fair a GTX 1060 is okay for a lot of basic VR games. Sim racing titles are far from basic, but some people out there are running VR racing titles on these cards.

And I'm sure someone will pipe up and say they're sim racing with this card in VR with a GTX 1060 and it's fine. Fine is subjective, and they don't the mind the compromise of running these games at 45fps, low settings and using reprojection to smooth out the framerate. The thing is if you're okay with it and still able to enjoy the games then that's all good.

Upgrading your GPU will improve performance, just as it would with monitor-based games. More powerful GPU gives you faster performance = higher FPS (and less or no reprojection).

The new GTX 1660ti has just come out, that's the one to go for. It's faster than the GTX 1070 and a bit cheaper too. https://www.techspot.com/review/1797-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-ti/

vr1b.png

One final thing, even the GTX 2080 which is double the price of the GTX 1660, and of course more powerful still can't max out the graphics setting in VR sim racing games. Even the GTX 2080ti, which over $1000 can't. But of course, the more expensive the GPU, the nicer the visuals.

Last edited:
A GTX 1060 is a good card of single-screen gaming at 1920×1080 60FPS.
I think the OPs problems is even worse because he has chosen a 1060 with only 3Gb mem.
My guess is that in the graph above the socalled GeForce GTX 1060 lowest in the compare is a 6Gb version.:sleep:

EDIT: I hope Im wrong:D

I think the OPs problems is even worse because he has chosen a 1060 with only 3Gb mem.
My guess is that in the graph above the socalled GeForce GTX 1060 lowest in the compare is a 6Gb version.:sleep:

EDIT: I hope Im wrong:D

3GB vs. 6GB VRAM will make a difference, It's about a 10% boost in performance.

That GTX 1660ti certainly looks impressive. But, unfortunately, my case isn't full size - therefore I require a "mini" sized videocard. That's why I referenced the one I found on Amazon.....

Does the 1660ti come in a "mini" size? (If so I haven't found one....). If not, how does that GTX 1070 8G mini sound?

That GTX 1660ti certainly looks impressive. But, unfortunately, my case isn't full size - therefore I require a "mini" sized videocard. That's why I referenced the one I found on Amazon.....

Does the 1660ti come in a "mini" size? (If so I haven't found one....). If not, how does that GTX 1070 8G mini sound?

How about this model: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13973/nvidia-gtx-1660-ti-review-feat-evga-xc-gaming

Otherwise, the GTX 1070 is decent, but it's an outgoing model which makes it difficult to recommend buying new considering there's something better at the same price. Maybe seek out a secondhand 1070 to save some money.

3GB vs. 6GB VRAM will make a difference, It's about a 10% boost in performance.

The 3gb card is also a truncated card compared to the 6gb card.
In fact, it has 9 SM (simultaneous multiprocessors) compared to 10 SM for the 1060 6GB, which results in less TMUs (texture mapping units).

https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/2567-official-gtx-1060-3gb-specs-and-sm-disabled

The performance gap between the 3GB 1060 and the 6GB card is in majority accountable to this. Of course, the small VRAM hinders more performance at higher resolutions like VR.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 195 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.4%