How to keep old tyres on during practice

• Phill Kaye

Why would you want to do that?
If you come in the pits to change your setup and then go out on part worn tyres the lap times wont be as good as they could be on fresh rubber.

• Eric Soeters

Probably to give him information regarding tyre wear during longer stints. Seems logically to me. I guess you start a practice event and stay as long as possible out. Put a lot of fuel in the car and when you get to the point of fuel where you want your data gathering to start, stay out for a few laps and go in. Tyre wear, fuel amount (=weight) and laptimes then can be analyzed.

Yes, as Michael, just pit while in practice for fuel leaving tyres unchanged to evaluate your tyre wear, temps etc etc.

I sit that easy, maybe the problem is that I always use escape-return to garage.

I'll try the 'pistop-alternative'. Thanks.

And, yes I try to find the fastest way, to find out the car handling on (slightly) worn tyres. This is actually (as you know) the way teams in a1gp, f1, irl, etc do it. You want the best handling on (slightly) worn tyres, cause that's what you're dealing with most of the race.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 90 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.1%