HOW TO INSTALL GTR2 and PnG3 in 2019 ?

----------------------------------------------
| HOW TO INSTALL GTR2 HQ Anniversary PATCH |
----------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT :
-----------
- NEW CLEAN GTR2 INSTALL FROM DVD or STEAM + GTR2 HQ ANNIVERSARY PATCH (PART1+PART2) ARE FULLY WORKING ON WINDOWS XP/VISTA/7/8/10/11 !!!

- DO NOT INSTALL SIMBIN PATCH 1.1 / NOCD GTR2.EXE / 4GB PATCH BECAUSE THEY ARE ALREADY INCLUDED AND YOU WILL BREAK GTR2 SETUP !!!

First you will need to install :
--------------------------------
- 7zip archiver to create/open archives : https://www.7-zip.org

Included in GTR2 HQ Anniversary Patch : GTR2_SETUP.CMD will install them automatically if required*
- Microsoft DirectX 9c June 2010
- Microsoft Visual C++ VC redist 2010 sp1 with MFC security update
- Microsoft Visual C++ VC redist 2015-2019

(*) a POP PUP will be prompted if install is required : you just need to click YES to allow install program in this case.

-------------------------------------------
| 1a) PRELIMINARY FOR DISC VERSION ONLY |
-------------------------------------------
- insert GTR2 DISC

- choose any language

- install GTR2 directly at the root of one of your drives like D:\GTR2HQ

- DO NOT SET 3D CONFIG : UNTICK 3D CONFIG BOX at the end of install !!!

- DO NOT RUN GTR2 YET !!!

- REMOVE GTR2 DISC and go to 2)

--------------------------------------------
| 1b) PRELIMINARY FOR STEAM VERSION ONLY |
--------------------------------------------
- Buy and install GTR2 from STEAM

- NEVER MODIFY ORIGINAL GTR2 STEAM INSTALL, KEEP IT ALWAYS CLEAN!!!

- Copy or make an archive (7z/zip/rar) of your clean GTR2 folder from STEAM\steamapps\common\GTR 2 - FIA GT Racing Game

- Copy or extract your clean GTR2 archive directly at the root of one of your drives like D:\GTR2HQ

- go to 2)

----------------------
| 2) GTR2 INSTALL |
----------------------
- download and install GTR2 HQ Anniversary PATCH : 1 SINGLE ARCHIVE SPLIT in 3 parts (001 is the header file and this is THE ONLY ONE YOU MUST OPEN, IGNORE 002/003 FILES BECAUSE THEY ARE ONLY READABLE BY 7zip DURING EXTRACTION), YOU MUST DOWNLOAD THE 3 PARTS FIRST THEN YOU CAN EXTRACT 7z.001 FILE (I REPEAT, IGNORE 002/003 FILES BUT THEY ARE REQUIRED AT SAME PLACE AS 001 FOR 7zip EXTRACTION) : RIGHT CLICK ON 7Z.001 FILE, WHILE YOU HOLD RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON YOU MOVE MOUSE POINTER IN YOUR GTR2 FOLDER (where GTR2.EXE is), THEN RELEASE RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON, LEFT CLICK ON "7-zip" >> "EXTRACT HERE" AND click "YES" to overwrite ALL files/folders (check "APPLY TO ALL")
part-1 : https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/gtr2-hq-anniversary-patch-part-1.21415/
part-2 : https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/gtr2-hq-anniversary-patch-part-2.32658/
part-3 : https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/gtr2-hq-anniversary-patch-part-3.54224/

- you can also add HQ 2005 FiaGT season : https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/gtr2-hq-2005-fiagt-mod.32765/

- and finally there is a hotfix to apply :

- right click on GTR2CONFIG.EXE >> left click PROPERTY >> COMPATIBILITY >> tick ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS box (you can skip this step only if you use CrewChief plugin because without CrewChief plugin GTR2 will not launch if administrator rights are not set to both GTR2config.EXE and GTR2.EXE)

- right click on GTR2.EXE >> left click PROPERTY >> COMPATIBILITY >> tick ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS box (you can skip this step only if you use CrewChief plugin because without CrewChief plugin GTR2 will not launch if administrator rights are not set to both GTR2config.EXE and GTR2.EXE)

- use RadeonMod or Nvidia Profile Inspector (available in [OPTIONS]\f-[Windows TOOLS]) to set AA/AF (NVIDIA ONLY: set Antialiasing compatibility to Diablo III and select "replace/override application setting" for AA mode, you can also enable DSRX4).

Moreover on a LAPTOP you need to set both GTR2Config.EXE + GTR2.EXE to your GPU instead of poor integrated graphics.

- now run GTR2config.EXE (choose 32bits resolution, dx9) but Do NOT choose AA/AF here because the antialiasing/anisotropic settings in gtr2config are basic/outdated and doesn't manage advanced AA/AF that you have got with recent nvidia/AMD panel.
Turn off Vsync as FFB in GTR2 is tied to refresh rate (HIGHER FPS = BETTER FFB), moreover Vsync is never a good idea as you get lag.
Nevertheless, if you have +400 fps then you can get missed gear changes so try to limit the fps to 120 with nvidia/AMD panel.

- install Bill's process manager or Bitsum Process Lasso, and set GTR2.EXE "CPU AFFINITY" to use at least 2 cores of your CPU (you can skip this step if you use CrewChief Plugin)
You can also do it manually each time after launching GTR2 by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC then click on PROCESSUS tab, right click on GTR2.EXE and set AFFINITY to ALL CORES.

- RUN GTR2_SETUP.CMD
>> page I choose language
>> page II choose HUD
>> page VI choose binary (NOCD IS SET BY DEFAULT)
>> page VII choose plugin (MANDATORY EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY BINARY WITH SETUP!!!)
>> page VIII choose defviews FOV (MANDATORY EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY BINARY WITH SETUP!!!)
>> page IX choose PLR* FFB (MANDATORY EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY BINARY WITH SETUP!!!)
(*) you can rename later "PLAYER.PLR" file in "GTR2\UserData\PLAYER" then "PLAYER" folder in "GTR2\UserData" with same NAME of your choice
>> set other options as you like or skip them with S key

- from now you can run GTR2.EXE

---------------------------------------
| 3) Power & Glory 3 (PnG3) INSTALL |
---------------------------------------
note: since I have made the GTR2_SETUP.CMD the install order GTR2>>HQ PATCH>>PnG3 or GTR2>>PnG3>>HQ PATCH is no more important. Indeed SETUP allows you to install GTR2 or PnG3 UI and other options afterward so you will have the same content in the end. The only small issue if you do GTR2>>HQ PATCH>>PnG3 is that PnG3 installer will detect modified files from HQ Patch as "corrupted" but just ignore these error messages because my HQ files are patched but not corrupted.

- follow STEP 1a) or 1b), then 2) to create a clean GTR2 install in D:\PnG3 by example

- you must run GTR2 at least once before installing PnG3 MOD

- download and install PnG3 mod : https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/power-glory-for-gtr-2.21450/

- RUN GTR2_SETUP.CMD
>> page I choose language
>> page II choose #9 HUD PnG3 Anniversary
>> page VI choose binary (NOCD IS SET BY DEFAULT) #1 without CrewChief or #2 with CrewChief
>> page VII choose plugin (MANDATORY EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY BINARY WITH SETUP!!!)
>> page VIII choose defviews FOV (MANDATORY EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY BINARY WITH SETUP!!!)
>> page IX choose PLR* FFB (MANDATORY EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY BINARY WITH SETUP!!!)
(*) you can rename later "PLAYER.PLR" file in "GTR2\UserData\PLAYER" and "PLAYER" folder in "GTR2\UserData" with same NAME of your choice
>> page XI choose Settings.DDB file : HQ AI is recommended for offline but PnG3 version is required for festbierbude.de online
>> page XII choose UI PnG3 #A or #B (I added 24h/driving school lines in main menu plus many other tweaks)
>> page XV you can type #1 to remove safely all modern GTR2 cars (base+hq) which are not required for PnG3 mod
>> page XVI choose #1 OR #2 PnG3 HQ Anniversary if you want moving wipers and important fixes
>> page XVII choose #1 for wipers without CrewChief or #2 if you have CrewChief plugin installed (nvidia RTX recommended)
>> page XVIII choose #B for patched Mustang Safety Car
>> page XXXI choose #4 PnG3 Driving School cars

- from now you can run GTR2.EXE

--------------------------------------
| 4) CrewChief plugin (CC) INSTALL |
--------------------------------------
- visit thecrewchief.org to download CC app called "CrewChiefV4.msi"
- install CrewChiefV4.msi in DEFAULT PATH (DO NOT CHANGE IT!)
- run GTR2_SETUP.CMD :
>> page VI you MUST set #2
>> page VII select either #4 to copy CC files in your GTR2 without openvr_api.dll (NO VR), or #5 if you want to use openvr_api.dll for VR headset
>> page VIII you MUST update defviews FOV
>> page IX you MUST update PLR
>> page XVII choose #2
Now you can exit setup with "X" key

- now your GTR2/PnG3 install is READY FOR CREWCHIEF

---------------
| UNINSTALL |
---------------
Just delete folder D:\GTR2HQ or D:\PnG3

That's all folks!

Last edited:
So I just having a new computer, reinstall the GTR2... everythings works and looks perfect, expect touching the keyboard will most likely making the game stuck and need to ctrl+alt+delete and close the game

Can you confirm you're on one single screen and don't use a second monitor at the same time ?
Using the keyboard or anything that might give the impression you're on another window or software than GTR2 might create the same result as using Alt-Tab .... with another original GTR2 than the Steam one.

Can you confirm you're on one single screen and don't use a second monitor at the same time ?
Using the keyboard or anything that might give the impression you're on another window or software than GTR2 might create the same result as using Alt-Tab .... with another original GTR2 than the Steam one.
I can confirm that there's only 1 screen in my PC.

Sounds like your computer is touchy, like there's a hardware problem somewhere.

Maybe try some CPU/MEM/GPU stress testing? Run Unigine Demos for a few hours (even over night) to be sure.

Perhaps you have changed gtr2.exe program priority to high or idle : it is not a good idea as it can freeze your computer, always let it on normal.
The only setting to change is affinity with max cpu cores or at least 2 cores.

Perhaps you have changed gtr2.exe program priority to high or idle : it is not a good idea as it can freeze your computer, always let it on normal.
The only setting to change is affinity with max cpu cores or at least 2 cores.
I'm always letting my GTR2 runs on Normal Priority and setting max cpu cores to more than 2 cores, but it still crashing...And is not a Game's CTD or causing the whole Windows BSoD'd, but it will freeze the game(No matter what's sessions when the games on, even in Menu) and need to Ctrl+Alt+Delete to making it stop.

Last edited:
As GTR2 seems to act in this case as when using Alt-Tab ... with the original GTR2 ( and this doesn't happen with the Steam version ... for sure when it remains in the Steamapps folder ) ... I guess GTR2 looses its focus in this case for another software or tool running on his PC.

This freeze is really typical of this situation.... even though I know it can happen sometimes my fingers are too quick ( for example just to check a change in a GTR2 folder ) I still have this problem regularly ( not often but randomly ).

Check what's running on your PC at this moment ... one of the running softwares is surely the culprit.

One thing to try is running in window mode.
Can use this program to make it border less.
But also agree with Jempy that it must be something other program or service doing it.
I Tried it, but still useless.
And yeah I uninstall and re-install my GTR2, same problem still keep happens, but this time after I Ctrl+Alt+Delete, the game back to working, but only when I keep driving... when I going back to garage or Quitting Races, all the menu will stopped working, no matter how I click anythings(PS: Then Game may automatically CTD for no reason)

Last edited:
Computers are basic machines which execute code, algorythms and scripts so there is certainly a good reason for your pc to freeze and CTD, but which ???
Try to install older video drivers ?
If you 've got a logitech device then use logitech GHUB software instead of older gaming software driver

Last edited:
- And I suppose you're starting GTR2 with admin rights and same for GTR2config also .... and in compatibility mode ?

- Is your GTR2 an original older version or Steam version ?

- if original version, where is it installed ? main disk ? in which folder ?

Answering those little questions might already confirm us that your problem is not first of all a GTR2 install or use problem.

What I feel strange in your case is .... that any click or keystroke may freeze your GTR2 .....

Normally, as long as you click something or use keyboard inside GTR2 for GTR2 itself .... it shouldn't freeze at all.
Now using special keys to launch any other software should also surely freeze GTR2 as the focus should be surely given to the new started software.

NB: My PC is also rather new with MSI RTX 2070 Super Trio - I7 9700k and 16 GB Ram and Win10 64bit of course.
No problem with either original or Steam GTR2 versions. Both ( even 3 installs ) are installed outside C drive and none inside Program or Programfiles (x86) folder.

- And I suppose you're starting GTR2 with admin rights and same for GTR2config also .... and in compatibility mode ?

- Is your GTR2 an original older version or Steam version ?

- if original version, where is it installed ? main disk ? in which folder ?

Answering those little questions might already confirm us that your problem is not first of all a GTR2 install or use problem.

What I feel strange in your case is .... that any click or keystroke may freeze your GTR2 .....

Normally, as long as you click something or use keyboard inside GTR2 for GTR2 itself .... it shouldn't freeze at all.
Now using special keys to launch any other software should also surely freeze GTR2 as the focus should be surely given to the new started software.

NB: My PC is also rather new with MSI RTX 2070 Super Trio - I7 9700k and 16 GB Ram and Win10 64bit of course.
No problem with either original or Steam GTR2 versions. Both ( even 3 installs ) are installed outside C drive and none inside Program or Programfiles (x86) folder.
-Both GTR2Config and GTR2 is using admin setting with XP SP2 compatible mode.

-My GTR2 is Original version with 1.1.0.0+NoCD Patch.

-My GTR2 is installed in a HDD that not a C drive (E:/GTR2)

And my PC is Win10 64bit, i7-10700k with 32GB DDR4 RAM and MSI RTX 2070 Super "Ventus GP OC"(A model that maybe too recent and not included in some of the PC site's GPU database)

Maybe I should try to using a older driver next?

Perhaps MSI disabled dx9 support by default in your all new videocard ???
For sure you can try alternate video drivers.
You can also check BIOS version of motherboard/gpu : maybe some updates have fixed this issue ???
Maybe a wrong setting in motherboard bios : try a reset to stock ???
if your pc is brand new then you've got possibly a faulty composant (tiny transistor somewhere) : as Shovas said, did you try demos to stress your composants ? In general it could be cpu, gpu, motherboard or ram : if it is new then you can ask for a replacement or refund but you should know which one ???

Last edited:
As he can drive Assetto Corsa without any problem I really don't think it's a real PC component problem. A problem should have already happened with it too.

As I still can understand..... GTR2 is not really crashing .... it's hanging for good: nothing can make it move and it cannot be closen else than with the task manager.
That's why I think more of a software problem than a hardware one.

The last question I forgot: for the DX9 ... that's well the one you choose in the GTR2 config and not the "auto" one ... ? ( in fact I never tried this setting ).
But yes ... do you have DX9 installed ?

And something else as we don't know where you live: US or EU Patch 1.1.0.0 ? ... I don't know what can happen if it's not the right one.

As he can drive Assetto Corsa without any problem I really don't think it's a real PC component problem. A problem should have already happened with it too.

As I still can understand..... GTR2 is not really crashing .... it's hanging for good: nothing can make it move and it cannot be closen else than with the task manager.
That's why I think more of a software problem than a hardware one.

The last question I forgot: for the DX9 ... that's well the one you choose in the GTR2 config and not the "auto" one ... ? ( in fact I never tried this setting ).
But yes ... do you have DX9 installed ?

And something else as we don't know where you live: US or EU Patch 1.1.0.0 ? ... I don't know what can happen if it's not the right one.
I have DX9 installed. And ofc I choosed "Direcx 9" instead of Auto.
I think is EU Patch 1.1.0.0 here.

Perhaps MSI disabled dx9 support by default in your all new videocard ???
For sure you can try alternate video drivers.
You can also check BIOS version of motherboard/gpu : maybe some updates have fixed this issue ???
Maybe a wrong setting in motherboard bios : try a reset to stock ???
if your pc is brand new then you've got possibly a faulty composant (tiny transistor somewhere) : as Shovas said, did you try demos to stress your composants ? In general it could be cpu, gpu, motherboard or ram : if it is new then you can ask for a replacement or refund but you should know which one ???
I tried to using alternate video drivers, but nothing special.
I reset my BIOS settings to default(Which causing the RAM's speed limited to around 2600Mhz instead of 3200Mhz), but still nothing happens
I'm already run a lot of Benchmarks and Demos, but all of them seems OK and nothing special againist to my PC.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 480 38.9%