HOW TO INSTALL GT LEGENDS IN 2019

--------------------------------
| HOW TO INSTALL GTL IN 2020 |
--------------------------------

READ CAREFULLY OTHERWISE YOU WILL POST ON FORUMS THAT GTL DOESN'T WORK ON WINDOWS 10 WHICH IS WRONG !!!
CLEAN GTL INSTALL FROM DVD/STEAM + GTL HQ ANNIVERSARY PATCH WERE TESTED AND ARE FULLY WORKING ON WIN XP/VISTA/7/8/10 !!!
ALL PATCHES ARE INCLUDED IN HQ ANNIVERSARY PATCH SO DO NOT INSTALL SIMBIN PATCH 1.1 OR NOCD OR 4GB PATCH !!!

Note that you will need latest 7zip archiver to create/open archives : https://www.7-zip.org

Plus DirectX 9c June 2010 SDK : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
(go where you have extracted files and run DXSETUP.exe if install does not begin automatically)

Note for both DISC/STEAM versions : you can have multiple GT Legends installs in multiple folders like C:\GTLHQ, C:\GTL-MOD-DTM, D:\GTL-MOD-F1-79, etc... But in this case you will have to set WinXP compatibility + Administrator rights to ALL EXE for EVERY FOLDER and not only 1 !!!
When you have many GT Legends folders you can try AppCompatibilityView (available in [OPTIONS]\e-[Windows TOOLS])

There are 2 kind of installs whether you have 1a) DISC (CD/DVD) or 1b) STEAM DIGITAL version

-------------------------------------------
| 1a) PRELIMINARY FOR DISC VERSION ONLY |
-------------------------------------------
>>> StarForce DISC protection (driver) is NO MORE COMPATIBLE with Windows 7/8/10
>>> NEVER INSTALL OFFICIAL SIMBIN UPDATE 1.1 on Windows 7/8/10 because it will install StarForce driver
>>> NEVER RUN GTL.EXE FROM DISC, DEMO or SIMBIN UPDATE 1.1 on Windows 7/8/10 because it will install StarForce driver
>>> YOU CAN ONLY RUN THE DISC VERSION WHEN HQ ANNIVERSARY PATCH IS INSTALLED

- insert GT Legends DISC

- install GT Legends directly at the root of one of your drives like D:\GTLHQ

- DO NOT SET 3D CONFIG : UNTICK 3D CONFIG BOX at the end of install !!!

- IMPORTANT : DO NOT RUN GTL YET !!!
NB: if you did the mistake to run GTL.EXE then StarForce drivers may have been installed on your PC, in this case run sfdrvrem.exe (available in [OPTIONS]\j-[Official StarForce Driver Removal Tool]) to remove these drivers which are no more compatible with new Windows 7/8/10.

- REMOVE GT Legends DISC

- go to step 2)

--------------------------------------------
| 1b) PRELIMINARY FOR STEAM VERSION ONLY |
--------------------------------------------
- install GT Legends from STEAM

- IMPORTANT : NEVER MODIFY ORIGINAL GTL STEAM INSTALL !!!
Because STEAM will check files integrity inside \steamapps folder and will restore originals anytime it detects a modification, and you will get big problems with patchs or mods you will install

- Make an archive (7z/zip/rar) of your clean GT Legends from STEAM\steamapps\common\GT Legends

- extract your clean GT Legends archive directly at the root of one of your drives like D:\GTLHQ

- go to step 2)

------------------------------------------------
| 2) GT Legends HQ Anniversary PATCH INSTALL |
------------------------------------------------
- download and install GT Legends HQ Anniversary PATCH (click YES to overwrite ALL files/folders and check "APPLY TO ALL") : https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/gt-legends-10th-anniversary-patch.26203/

- right click on all EXE files inside GTL folder and set WinXP compatibility + check Administrator rights (also tick the box to change settings for all users)

- use Nvidia Profile Inspector (available in [OPTIONS]\e-[Windows TOOLS]) to set AA/AF : set Antialiasing compatibility to Diablo III and select "replace application setting" to override the application AA settings, you can also enable DSR X4 on GT Legends to remove pretty much all aliasing without any noticeable frame drop. Borderless windows mode is pretty good too.
Moreover on a LAPTOP you need to set both GTLConfig.EXE + GTL.EXE to your GPU instead of poor integrated graphics.

- now run GTLconfig.exe (choose 32bits resolution, dx9) but Do NOT choose AA/AF here because the antialiasing/anisotropic settings in GTLconfig are basic/outdated and doesn't manage advanced AA/AF that you have got with nvidia/AMD panel.
Turn off Vsync as FFB in GT Legends is tied to refresh rate, moreover Vsync is never a good idea as you get lag.
Nevertheless, if you have +400 fps then you can get missed gear changes so try to limit the fps to 120 with nvidia/AMD panel.

- Install Bill's process manager or Bitsum Process Lasso, and set GTL.EXE "CPU AFFINITY" to use at least 2 cores of your CPU
You can either do it manually just after launching GTL by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC then click on PROCESSUS tab, right click on GTL.EXE and set AFFINITY to ALL CORES. If you intend to use CrewChief then this step is not required.

- RUN GTL_SETUP.BAT* >> set options as you like or skip them with S key and RUN GTL

*you may need to right click on GTL_SETUP.BAT then left click on "Run as Administrator" otherwise it won't overwrite files because of insufficient privileges on some PCs.

UNINSTALL :
-----------
Just delete folder D:\GTLHQ or any other name you gave during install

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tutorial based on : https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/reinstalling-gtr2-best-approach.163691/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Updated tutorial because I have added script in debug mode to delete junk files so just after 10th AP install you need to run GTL_DEBUG.BAT at first launch then you will be able to run GTL.EXE safely

Sometimes Simbin offered to get a better version [gt legends.exe] when you uploaded an image of the original disc and the disc code. I took advantage of this. That offer is probably no longer valid.

Sometimes Simbin offered to get a better version [gt legends.exe] when you uploaded an image of the original disc and the disc code. I took advantage of this. That offer is probably no longer valid.
This offer was, if I remember correctly, from Raceroom, who licensed the game and released a version with Starfarce removed, all files decrypted, sound files corrected, and "optimized for Vista/Win7" (whatever that means). For a few months if you sent them a photo showing your original disc in jewel case with online code visible, manual, and your name and date on paper, they sent you a link to download this version free.

The nice thing about Simbin games is that once installed and working, you can make a backup of the entire folder and just copy it back when/if necessary without need for another install. Multiple installs are easy, just copy the full contents to another folder.

>>> StarForce DISC protection (driver) is NO MORE COMPATIBLE with Windows 7/8/10
>>> NEVER INSTALL OFFICIAL SIMBIN UPDATE 1.1 on Windows 7/8/10 because it will install StarForce driver
>>> NEVER RUN GTL.EXE FROM DISC, DEMO or SIMBIN UPDATE 1.1 on Windows 7/8/10 because it will install StarForce driver
>>> YOU CAN ONLY RUN THE DISC VERSION WHEN HQ ANNIVERSARY PATCH IS INSTALLED

Does this apply to GTR2 as well?

Only the first release of GTL had Starfarce, which was as reliable as a $2 watch. Subsequent releases (Raceroom, GOG, etc.) do not have it. GTR2 never had it.

GTR as well as GTL.

I still have my original copy of GTR, no Starfarce. And my first copy of GTR2, no Starfarce. My first copy of GTL has Starfarce. And I immediately swore I would never purchase any software with Starfarce again.

90% of the time it would just sit there "validating" but never starting the game, there was no way to close it other than invoking Task Manager and killing the process. When I complained to Simbin they just passed the buck to Starfarce, who merely sent me repeated boilerplates of "install the newest drivers"; screenshots showing I had the latest drivers installed and the game still wasn't starting most of the time got no further responses. So; Simbin and Starfarce had my money, I had a game that didn't work, and neither of them showed any inclination to help. At this point anything I did to correct this situation was valid - I downloaded a hacked version of GTL and installed it over my "bought and paid for" version. I am still using it, having migrated across four computers (so far, lol). When Raceroom released their version (no Starfarce, no encrypted files, "optimized for Vista/Win7") I got a free copy of it by showing them proof of my original purchase.

How do I install the Ann patch? Instructions just state the same thing for parts 1 and 2, "download and install". How do I "install" them? Is there an install file I'm supposed to run? Do I just drag-and-drop all the files and folders to the GTL install? Do I drag-and-drop all the files and folders and then after that is finished, run an install file?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 307 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 204 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 155 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 271 13.6%