How to improve the "Toggle AI Control" for offline endurance

Hi all,

I love endurance races but I have not enough time to join and properly compete in an online league. So I try to play swapping with AI. This feature is great in Project Cars but… almost everything else works much better in RF2.

But there is an issue. Apparently the AI that takes control over the car when we choose the “Toggle AI control” option drives always like a 100% speed AI. And I usually use higher values, especially with the APEX FIAGT3 cars. So when I swap with the AI, it goes much slower than everybody else in the field.

I would like to know if there is any way around this issue. It could be:

a.) Make the “toggled AI” faster.
b.) Make the AI faster in general (so I could always use 100%)
c.) Limit/handcap my own performance to match 100 % (silliest/less desirable option)

I know that this is not exactly the purpose of the “toggle AI”, but it would be so great if it could work that way, matching the pace with other AIs. Probably the only thing (graphics apart) PCARS does better than RF2.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards

Luciano.

AFAIK there is no way of changing this, I did look into myself a long time ago but was unable to change the strength. I believe it would be a great addition for offline endurance races and I did suggest it to ISI (via their Wish List forum some time ago), I'll mention it to Studio397 when I get the chance as I'm currently drawing up a list of AI improvements and this is already on it :)

Not exactly what I would like to hear , but thanks for the reply . Forwarding it to the devs is great, thank you.

It would certainly be a great addition and it doesn't seem to be so complicated. It would be just a matter of assigning the performance of the opponents to the players' car. Preferably respecting the talent file of the players' car. But if that is complicated, just matching the opponents base performance would be better than the current behavior.

I had this crazy idea, but I think I need some help to implement. I have done some tests and realized that my "toggled AI" is OK on the straights, but very slow on the corners, compared to the others. So I thought, how could I manipulate my car so that my AI could have an advantage that could compensate its slower driving. But at the same time, that should be an advantage that I would not be able to use. Then I thought, what if I had super tires, with increased grip, and only used when the AI were going to drive?

I know it would not be realistic, but could be enough to have some good fun.

Does anyone knows how it could be accomplished?

Edit: Got it!

I have accomplished what I was trying by setting the AIGripMult in the mod’s TBC file with a higher value. I have created an special compound that will be used only by my AI “co-driver”. Need some more testing to get the exact value but preliminary tests have shown that I will have my “ultimate” offline endurance ready soon enough.

That is enough for some good fun. However, taking this demand to the devs could probably lead to a much better solution.

Last edited:
GTR2 was based on the rF1 engine. It had a driver swap option in the pits AND another option for the AI to take over just by pressing the I key. The problem with the I key method was that the co-driver's rcd file(talent file) was ignored and thus the co-driven car ran much faster than the other AI cars. I do know many of the newer S397 cars have shipped without talent files at all. Think of an rcd file as a filter that slows the car from it's overall pace based on what values are placed in the rcd lines of txt.
It acts more as an anchor than a performance enhancer. at least for GTR2...rF2?? I don't know enough to say.

GTR2 was based on the rF1 engine. It had a driver swap option in the pits AND another option for the AI to take over just by pressing the I key. The problem with the I key method was that the co-driver's rcd file(talent file) was ignored and thus the co-driven car ran much faster than the other AI cars. I do know many of the newer S397 cars have shipped without talent files at all. Think of an rcd file as a filter that slows the car from it's overall pace based on what values are placed in the rcd lines of txt.
It acts more as an anchor than a performance enhancer. at least for GTR2...rF2?? I don't know enough to say.
The new cars are shipped without RCD, but you can create a package to add it. It seems it actually enhances the AI behavior, but I am no so sure. It certainly allows to make some of them faster than others. But the co-driver still does not takes the RCD into account and in RF2 it is usually slower than the opponents.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back