F1 2010 How to improve at F1 2010

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
I'm new to the forum so sorry if this has been posted a million times but I need some help. I decided rent the game for my xbox after reading good reviews and have been impressed so far with its presentation and scope... but its so ****ing hard! I play with the controller and have been gradually turning down the assist levels. After removing the final driving aid (driving line), I'm now running round Spa and Monza like a big boy but two things annoy the **** out me: First, the kerbs are deadly. I gather that some kerbs are more usable than others but Jesus! Am I right in thinking that I have to kiss each individual kerb differenty and at the right point so as not to spin off every godamn time? I heard that you need to apply some throttle so as not to ride the kerb. Low speed corners like the 1st and 2nd at Monza cause me the most grief. Second, I want to play no assists, I can get around the track consistently without incident but only at snails pace. On this forum I found "F1 2010 the guide". It's very well put together but in terms of improving driving skill it only has a small section describing real world techniques; brake,apex,throttle, cornering with a view to gaining as much speed as possible on the next straight. I try to implement these rules but I find myself braking early, coasting through corners, missing the apex (too early mostly) and not applying throttle as soon as I could be.. The margins seem so small. I hate how much time I lose feeding the throttle like a gay. Push a little harder, hit the gas a little soonerand I'm off the track. Console switched off. So whats the deal? Is it not feesable to use the controller and no assists? Are times faster with TC full/medium? Are times faster with the wheel? And how the **** do I handle the kerbs? Thanks in advance

Some kerbs are just straight out deadly, and the best thing to do is just avoid them. Others can be dealt with through trial and error and setup compensations, although the kerb behaviour is simulated oddly in this game so it's still somewhat down to personal feel and guesswork, and avoiding the ones that consistently cost you time.

The rest is stuff that only really comes with practice and track knowledge, although many people experience the same issues with the controller. You can persevere with the pad, but if using assists detracts from your enjoyment, it may be more effort than it's worth. If you're expecting to put a lot of time into this and/or 2011, then investing in a wheel setup you're comfortable with seems the best choice.

A couple of questions.
How many laps have you put in at the track you are trying to master?
You talk of apexing early-Have you nailed your braking marker for each corner? If so why are you apexing early? If you brake at the right spot and turn in on a balanced throttle in my experience you will hit the apex.
If you dont get that right the rest of the corner is lost.
If you haven't got 200-400 lqps on that track it may just be practice you want? The really fast guys (and I'm not one of them yet) have got 200+ hours on this game.
Your throttle and steering movement need to be linked as if by a peice of string. More lock-less pedal and vice versa.

For sure the controller is a different skill set to a wheel and I prefer a wheel. (My Madcatz MC2 works fine and was £15.00 on ebay)
Oh and the kerbs, yes you need to learn them. For example turn 1-2 at Monza that you mentioned are deadly and any throttle at all when on them and you will spin. Majority on most tracks are little isssue and as if in real life if the inside wheels are light due to turning they have less effect than if loaded.There are never more than 1 per corner to worry about, and setup has an influence.

I've been using a control pad with no assists for about a week or two, and I've been playing the game since last September. It's taken that long for me to play the game assist free. I may have done it earlier with a wheel but it's not an option at the moment (££).

As Aarqiel said, it's mainly about practice and track time. I would recommend sticking with the game with no assists as I'm enjoying it more now with traction control off and manual gears, I have much more control over the car. Just be prepared to put in lots of practice.

I think you would feel more "connected" to the car if you were using a wheel. Frankly I've used the controller and to me it seems like you need super reflexes to drive well. Both are tough, but the wheel always seemed more natural. The ffb gives you some feedback on what the car is doing. Either way its a challenge. Anyone who can master a Formula 1 car, even virtually, can feel proud of what they've achieved. good luck, and have fun.

So I need to buy a wheel and practice more. I guess I knew that already

I've played Forza on a friends G25 wheel. It was the ffb that impressed me most, so powerful and responsive, you can feel where the grip is.

btw David your "F1 2010 the guide" was really impressive, must have took alot of work.

Optimus,
Thanks re the guide.
I reckon that some steps to fast track you.
-Go to the track guide thread for the track of the day/week. Read this. Print the map from BBC or other. Know the track
-Watch the Steve Stoop video "lets play career mode on expert" on youtube for the track.
-Watch the pole lap from real F1.
-get a setup
-50 laps building your speed gradually but really getting the feel of the track, espescially learning the braking points.Once you have them down the rest can happen. Practice throttle control. Wet practice is good for this!!

Have fun. When you are ready the weekly XBox 360 Pro Am is there fr you to try multiplayer.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back