how to improove braking performance?

Hi. I seen some crazy short brakings in acc which I find impossible no matter what on presets. Like for exapmple Monza where at t1 people brake at 150m mark and I have to brake at 175m. Tried trail braking, threshold braking, more downforce. Nothing.
So.. my question is how to tweak caster, toe, etc. to improove braking performance. I only know how camber affects lateral and longitudal grip. Caster was not available in AC. Btw. I hold some top 10 or even top 3 times (few WR on less popular combinations) in AC on borrowed setups. I am not a noob :p Still I am slower by 2sec in ACC, mainly cause of braking.

It never occurred to me to switch my TC settings for a specific corner, shows what a dinosaur I am. :D

My new TS-PC Racer has a button on the steering wheel that can be pushed as well as toggled up and down. Does anyone know if there is a way to make the "push button" function cycle through abs, traction control, and possibly brake balance so they can all be adjusted with the toggle functionality?
Not as far as I know sadly. It's just a button. You would either need a swap function in ACC or something from Thrustmaster creating something that would switch the up/down buttons like 1+2, 3+4, 5+6 but afaik, both is not a thing.
You could do it with Joy2Key and similar software for custom button mapping :)

I only ever do adjust it "by corner" for Monza T1 with the Jaguar. For me and my setup, a very high TC was simply faster and more consistent. Put the foot down and let TC regulate the throttle. Not as fun as it feels really slow but the delta time spoke for itself.
Only for T1 it really was restricting way too much. To be honest even "1" was still restricting too much but with "off" I spun 9 out of 10 laps...

Not as far as I know sadly. It's just a button. You would either need a swap function in ACC or something from Thrustmaster creating something that would switch the up/down buttons like 1+2, 3+4, 5+6 but afaik, both is not a thing.
You could do it with Joy2Key and similar software for custom button mapping :)

I only ever do adjust it "by corner" for Monza T1 with the Jaguar. For me and my setup, a very high TC was simply faster and more consistent. Put the foot down and let TC regulate the throttle. Not as fun as it feels really slow but the delta time spoke for itself.
Only for T1 it really was restricting way too much. To be honest even "1" was still restricting too much but with "off" I spun 9 out of 10 laps...

Ah, thanks friend, helpful as always. I might look in to doing it with Joy2Key, but I also might be too lazy ;)

it does..but it is a tiny effect.

Stefano, how about talking to the lads at the studio about adding a hotkey to cycle through the "active" adjustment parameter (abs, tc, brake balance) so it could all be done with one toggle switch? You could even add a little checklist of what you want to be included in the cycle! I'm sure you guys don't have anything else to worry about right now, 5 days out from full release, right? :roflmao:

Hmm if you're having to brake at the 175m mark at Monza, that's a bit weird. I can reliably brake at 150m and I dont do anything special, just mash the pedal with ABS at 1 or 2 usually and it seems fine. I trail brake into the chicane a little but am at full pedal right up to corner entry.

So I wonder if it's a setting where you're not getting full brakeforce or something?

With respects to Monza and the first braking zone. Braking performance varies from car to car, but its not 25m difference. From experience it seems the Ferrari is the best under braking in terms of distance, however, that can be to a lower top speed being carried down the straight.

What has been over looked in this thread is the importance of uniform downshifts instead of slamming down gears. At 150m apply full brake pressure, immediately go down to 5th gear, then as you travel down the braking zone down shift at similar intervals. Going down gears too fast unsettles the car and has the adverse effect of a slightly longer distance traveled under braking, making you over shoot the chicane.

Literally every car can brake at 155M - 145M, practice your technique. Some cars, mid engine like a brake bias that is more rear biased then the stock values in the setups. However you'll have to move that back up for the rest of the track, or find a compromise.

And people say variety is the spice of life.
Here we are discussing the braking points, trail braking curves, turn in angles, and acceleration of the first corner at a single track on a single sim.
People going on about how many cars and tracks you have downloaded and yet there is so much to talk about with a good sim and the telemetry it produces.

I now know that not only am I hopelessly hooked on motorsports IRL, and sim racing for the past 9 years too, but now it looks like we really have opened a can of worms and I'm going to spend as much time in the telemetry portion of this great hobby than I do actually racing on it.

My wife will be so pleased! ;)

With respects to Monza and the first braking zone. Braking performance varies from car to car, but its not 25m difference. From experience it seems the Ferrari is the best under braking in terms of distance, however, that can be to a lower top speed being carried down the straight.

What has been over looked in this thread is the importance of uniform downshifts instead of slamming down gears. At 150m apply full brake pressure, immediately go down to 5th gear, then as you travel down the braking zone down shift at similar intervals. Going down gears too fast unsettles the car and has the adverse effect of a slightly longer distance traveled under braking, making you over shoot the chicane.

Literally every car can brake at 155M - 145M, practice your technique. Some cars, mid engine like a brake bias that is more rear biased then the stock values in the setups. However you'll have to move that back up for the rest of the track, or find a compromise.

Tried Nissan, Lambo, m6, jag on Monza. All the same. But... I never touched ABS setting. Basicly I pick agressive preset, add some camber, front bump and that is it. And I tried for many many laps and races. Braking at 150m means overshooting t1 by 10m no matter what. The problem in acc is also no feel of front grip at all. In AC I could feel clearly if I have understeer, if front is sliding. In ACC I am all down to visuals.

Tried Nissan, Lambo, m6, jag on Monza. All the same. But... I never touched ABS setting. Basicly I pick agressive preset, add some camber, front bump and that is it. And I tried for many many laps and races. Braking at 150m means overshooting t1 by 10m no matter what. The problem in acc is also no feel of front grip at all. In AC I could feel clearly if I have understeer, if front is sliding. In ACC I am all down to visuals.
If you truly want to cure this, then I think you should review some of the earlier posts.
Two recommendations you've already had would have shed a lot of light on it: firstly, to post a video of your lap, and secondly to post the telemetry from your lap.
It might be that your brake pedal isn't working properly (a video with pedals on screen would show both your braking point and the pedal travel). It might be that you are pressing the pedal a bit later than you think. Or it might be something else wacky. But a video of Misano isn't going to help anyone debug your Monza T1 issue ;):p

Agree that a video would help. I’m genuinely curious about what the problem could be and would love to see it. I can think of only three possibilities:

1. Your speed down the straight is much higher than everyone else. Respectfully, I don’t think this is likely
2. You have an issue with either settings or a hardware issue where you’re not getting max brakeforce
3. Your reaction times are slow, I.e. there is a delay between you seeing the marker board and attaining full braking

A video that included pedal inputs would be interesting.

It never occurred to me to switch my TC settings for a specific corner, shows what a dinosaur I am. :D

My new TS-PC Racer has a button on the steering wheel that can be pushed as well as toggled up and down. Does anyone know if there is a way to make the "push button" function cycle through abs, traction control, and possibly brake balance so they can all be adjusted with the toggle functionality?
I don't think so. I have a TS-PC and set the TC on the rocker knob and BB/ABS on the hat switch.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 112 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 154 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 290 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 419 39.7%