How to hold brake pressure during heel and toe?

Is it okay if the brake pressure moves a tiny bit or is it meant to be rock solid and pixel perfect in the Pedals app? It feels physically impossible to blip the throttle while keeping the same brake pressure you did before moving the heel or side of the foot without at least having some minimal brake movement. I have Thrustmaster pedals with a load cell modification (The brake pressure moves around very quickly with load cells).

Last edited:
A bit a movement is to be expected but the more you practice the more you will learn to rotate your foot over the throttle while keeping constant pressure. I find it has a lot to do with pedal placement. With my simtech pedals I have it so when the brake is depressed it's about even or a bit past the throttle so I don't have to work so hard to blip the throttle.

I think its pretty normal for brake pressure to change a bit we're not robots after all. On sim pedals we're pushing against undamped springs usually instead of a hydraulic system so it probably makes it a bit harder to consistently apply a force. It's really just a practice thing. They talk about braking starting around 25-30mins in on Skip Barbers excellent video Going Faster:

I have Thrustmaster pedals with a load cell modification (The brake pressure moves around very quickly with load cells).
How much force does the load cell take?
I haven't modded my pedals yet but I have been hoping that a load cell mod would make heel and toe possible for me.
In the real world, I've found that cars which need firm pressure on the brake work nicely for heel and toe (if the pedal placement is OK) with my pretty basic skill levels, but in cars with over-sensitive brakes - like my current car :( - it's basically a non-starter.
On that basis, I'd expect that a sensitive load cell (20 kg or less?) might make it tricky, but a less sensitive one (100 kg?) might make it easy... Still guesswork though!

• Deleted member 197115

Heel toe happens when you are releasing brake pressure already, not at the peak of braking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heel toe happens when you are releasing brake pressure already, not at the peak of braking.
Huh? Am confused now. I guess that would only be the case if you downshift only once, near the end of the braking zone (thus potentially skipping a few gears).
Maybe you mean cases when you aren't interested in using engine braking? (Or when you're driving a car with lots of downforce?)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back