How to get driver sponsorship?

Dan Allen

I am the Pastor Maldonado of RaceDepartment.
Hey guys, me again!

The title may be a little misleading, as I already have a pretty good idea on getting sponsorship. I've done quite a bit of research and I think I have a half decent proposal down, but obviously half decent isn't going to cut it if I'm to try and get a business to invest in me!

Without copying the whole proposal here, here is a few key elements of what I have already:
  1. Introduce myself, what series am I trying to get into & tell them what I want from that particular business.
  2. How much money am I looking for and what it will be spent on (I have factored in travel costs, hotel costs, insurance excesses and VAT/Sales tax into the figures I give the company).
  3. What could I do for the company in return... I've left this very open, and have not over-promised anything. I did say that I could promise to get an answer to any questions/requests they have ASAP.
  4. I've tried to make it more appealing by saying that they aren't obliged to donate money up front, they can do it on a per-race basis if they wish.
  5. I have mentioned that the series I'm interested in are televised, even if it's only for 1 or 2 of the races, and mentioned of how that could possibly benefit them.
The problem is, I've never raced before, although I have done a few track days in the past, so I'm not completely wet behind the ears... Has anyone out there gained sponsorship without having any racing experience behind them?

Thanks in advance guys :D

Getting a sponsor is not the hardest part. But getting to understand all the legal consequences of a sponsorship is.

Take into account that a sponsor expects you to be present at all racing events. If your car is damage its you that need to pay for it (need a big pocket) and if you fail to show up at x event you can expect a penalty from your sponsor.

Racing is fun, the rest that comes with it: totally isn't :)

So you're trying to get somebody to pay for you to have a go at racing, when you have no experience, no proven ability. Fast track day is quite a bit slower, than "slow racers".

You will be extremely lucky to get any company to sponsor any form of amateur motorsport unless they're a personal contact of some kind. Even less, trying to convince a team that you will be able to get them anything of value, while you potter around near the back of a grid.

You can also draw publicity at the end of the grid, no problem :)

I would like to be proved wrong, but it's not going to happen. For an event that is already quite small, on a TV channel with relatively low viewing figures, and then at the back of a grid where there is even less exposure. What is there for a sponsor to gain?

For a more "helpful" suggestion, I would suggest looking at suppliers of your consumables, and try getting discounts. This is far more likely to happen than "free stuff" or money.

So you're trying to get somebody to pay for you to have a go at racing, when you have no experience, no proven ability. Fast track day is quite a bit slower, than "slow racers".

You will be extremely lucky to get any company to sponsor any form of amateur motorsport unless they're a personal contact of some kind. Even less, trying to convince a team that you will be able to get them anything of value, while you potter around near the back of a grid.

I'm not quite sure what you think I meant, but what I actually mean is something like asking about free tickets to each race on their behalf or something along those lines.

Anyway, thanks guys, decent answers :D

@Phil Dawson

Actually it is :) Me and @Xosé Estrada had the idea for years to enter the 24H of the Nürburgring in real life but like everybody else without a sugerdaddy or a rich family: no money.

The idea is/was to enter the race with a Smart (!!!) which means you can keep the costs to a bare minimum and know up front that you will never win (from those Porsche's, Audi's and Ferrari's) and as with everything in life David always has the support of the crowd and not Goliath :)

I can guarantee you that a Smart on track will draw much much more airtime on TV than a semi-professional team that races mid-pack. This guarantee means we can easily get a sponsor for our cult car and become a true competitor for that classic Opel Manta that races there with its nice foxtail on the antenna ;)

Be creative is what counts ;)

smart-smorshe-targa.jpg

Oh my god, that is AMAZING! You also have a point too. All those fancy ass GT's on the grid and this thing turns up, it's gonna draw attention of some kind.

I guess you wouldn't even need to get anywhere near the middle of the grid either. Just prove that you're consistent and people will still give you maximum respect for trying :D

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back