How to edit existing mod package

Tarmac Terrorist

Paul McCaffrey
Im loving Rfactor 2 at the moment and have just started hosting and its great, I go to the mass utility and put together a package of cars and tracks and off i go an lauch a server for myself and friends, brilliant!

One thing i would like to know is how to edit an existing mod package, for instance:

Ive made a mod package with Formula 2 cars and Zandervoot track. Next day a friend says can we add Barber raceway. Now ive tried to edit the existing package using the edit existing package button in mass utility and added the track Barber raceway, hit package and it seems to add the track, yet when I go to host using the dedicated host button in the laucher the package is selected as normal but when i get to track selection the track ive just added does not show up. So why is this?

Hope you can help

Cheers!

When mod is made it gets a code ID assigned to it. This is prevent tampering, cheats from altering the mod to advantage themselves. This was common place before the ID system was introduce via rF2.

Just make a new mod and add number off tracks. Running one can get a little boring and you & your friends can move on to a new track without the need for a new mod.

But simply to answer your question, You can't edit it. Make a new one.

I't seems possible to update your package, unfortunately I can't help you as most of the times I don't get it to work either.

When an mod get an update, the rfmod will "lock" the old version as well, so I update my rfmod:s with the new version of the car or track. Not always (I think) I get an error message when I try to re-pack after selecting the new mod version, so it most often ends up in re-creating the package.

Edit, if you re-pack without error (seems that you have), make sure you install the new (updated) package as well.

Im loving Rfactor 2 at the moment and have just started hosting and its great, I go to the mass utility and put together a package of cars and tracks and off i go an lauch a server for myself and friends, brilliant!

One thing i would like to know is how to edit an existing mod package, for instance:

Ive made a mod package with Formula 2 cars and Zandervoot track. Next day a friend says can we add Barber raceway. Now ive tried to edit the existing package using the edit existing package button in mass utility and added the track Barber raceway, hit package and it seems to add the track, yet when I go to host using the dedicated host button in the laucher the package is selected as normal but when i get to track selection the track ive just added does not show up. So why is this?

Hope you can help

Cheers!

Sorry for belated reply somehow missed this.

MAS2 used to work 100% then one day it just stopped working with no explanation or fix.

Yes there is a way to update simple rfmods but it's my own design :roflmao: so it may be confusing till you used to it. For this demo I will use my F3 ROOKIES mod which has only one car and about 50 historic tracks. As well today Riems was released here so I must eventually update all my historic rfmods.

I have 19 rfmods in Packages, nothing else.
These contain ALL content used at least once in one mod.
This system means it is IMPOSSIBLE for Steam or Workshop to uninstall old content until you are ready for that to happen becaue all content are in installed rfmods. As soon as you uninstall a rfmod content has been unsubscribed the mod will be useable.

Using rfmods for everything essentially means you can test 2 or more versions of the same content at the same time, even DLC. Only rule is 1 version per rfmod.
Which is something you can't do in other sims.

When you make rfmod you will see folders and files added to your roaming folder.
( USER\AppData\Roaming)

To edit the rfmod at a later date you need 3 files.
F3 ROOKIES.Mas ( in ~MASTEMP folder )
pkginfo.dat
pkginfo_bak.dat

These you cut & paste into the GME mod you see below.
Make sure to always leave roaming clean after you backup.

gme mods for mastemp and pkginfo.jpg

mas 2 temps.jpg

ovgme fmods list .jpg

Now if you make more then one rfmod it will add the information to the existing pkginfo.
You will keep making rfmods until without warning MAS2 will crash and you will never start it again. Seems there is a limit to the information pkginfo can handle. Only way forward is to delete the files in Roaming and restart MAS2.

THIS is when I had the brainstorm to archive each set of files into GME mods to keep them separate. It works 99%. There is a few issue with certain mods like Woochoos Historics, if you make a rfmod with that then go to edit it will crash *FIXED
All DLC need fresh rfmod or when you package updated DLC content it will error.

Thankfully there is not a great deal of DLC updated
This is also were my system is useful, you uninstall the rfmod to update it but you don't delete it, you overwrite it. This means you can keep mod manager open beside MAS2 and copy from it's car and track list. Otherwise how would you remember what each rfmod has ?

1. Uninstall F3 ROOKIES rfmod but DON'T DELETE
2. Run OVGME and activate MAS TEMP #4 - F3 ROOKIES
3. Run MAS2 click edit existing package
4. Bingo
5. Delete content from MAS2 you are updating ( they will say beside them " not installed" )
6. Add updated content ( RIEMS67 )
7. Untick the content from left column ( otherwise you have full size rfmod instead of 5KB)
8. Tick the car numbers/ skins and track layouts you want in right column.
9. Click Package, Install, MAS2 goes green, click done you can leave MAS2 open for next one Close MAS2 or pgkinfo file will still be open.
10. So rfmod has been successfully updated but you need to copy MASTEMP and pkginfo and overwrite MAS TEMP #4 - F3 ROOKIES files.
11. Then I open my OVGME RFM's which keeps copies of all rfm
12. First copy the updated rfm from packages to desktop
13. Uninstall rfmod, copy the new rfmod from desktop into OVGME
14. Re-Activate MAS RFM #4 - F3 ROOKIES
15. Done

I know it sounds very confusing but once you set your desktop up to handle everything it takes no time at all. I can update all the mods faster then making new ones and I don't have to remember every piece of content as I use the old rfmod in mod manager as a guide.

I call it Method in Madness :coffee:

method in madness.jpg

Lastly check Mod Manager rfmod is installed and new content exists.
You can see F3 ROOKIES is 6 months old.
All done. lol

all done.jpg

This way you can have multiple versions of content in different rfmods.
So you may have 2 or more versions which means you don't have to update every rfmod as soon as there is updates you can do at your leisure or only when you want to use the mod, up to you.

The thing to remember is with rfmods protecting all content old versions can never be deleted until you are good and ready which for me is a good thing.

This is what confuses a lot of people, they have downloaded untold rfmods many old and updated by now. Join any server since steam release you have downloaded the rfm. When they go to delete or add something like update it may not work.
Old rfmods keep old versions of content hostage using extra space.

Last edited:

DD, thank you for these links. The 2019-24 mod works perfectly. However, in the case of the Historic BTCC, I find that the current version of Cadwell in the workshop is 1.55, rather than 2.0, while the current Honda, Astra and MG skins are more recently updated than the ones referred to in your Rfmod. The upshot is that I cannot get it to work.

DD, thank you for these links. The 2019-24 mod works perfectly. However, in the case of the Historic BTCC, I find that the current version of Cadwell in the workshop is 1.55, rather than 2.0, while the current Honda, Astra and MG skins are more recently updated than the ones referred to in your Rfmod. The upshot is that I cannot get it to work.

Not sure Mick.

The Cadwell Park link in the S397 thread is to Cadwell Park v2.0.

Edit: Try first link
You need to log into steam through your browser ( I use Chrome)
Then it will be ready to download when you start steam next
and should install when rF2 boots.

Other version you mention is no permission, SRW I think, don't quote me :notworthy:

As far as cars goes your mod manager say same versions
Can you show me All tracks & Cars what is missing, thanks.

Last edited:
Looks like there is a bug.

In All Tracks & Cars the 2018 MG has 5 skins.
In updated rfmod the 2018 MG has only 2 skins.

P.S. Re-subbed 3 times and I am only getting MG V5 not V6 downloaded.

Thanks for your help. Regarding the track, the link you offer takes me to the track by Luis B, which is the only Cadwell I can find in the workshop, but it is identified as version 1.55, rather than 2.0, in my Mod manager. Cadwell_Park_Circuit version 1.55, to be precise. The MG I downloaded was also V5, while the Astra and Civic were both V2.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I am the author of the NGTC upgrade. Durge has got in contact and reported the issue. I can now see its bigger than Durge :). Let me take another look and try and figure out what is going on. Can I ask, it is just the MG6 that is the problem?

Ok, I have tried multiple things to try and trip up the workshop NGTC mod but it is not having any issues. Please could I ask you to do the following as I think the workshop may have left something in your install causing a problem. I have known rF2 on occassion to get into a twist which means you need to manually uninstall.

1) unsubscribe to the NGTC skin update pack
2) start rF2, NGTC skin pack should now uninstall.
3) close rF2
4) browse via windows explorer to Steam\...\rFactor2\Installed\Vehicles\BTCC_NGTC_MG6_GT
5) now please confirm what is in the folder. After a correct uninstall all you should now have is a 1.01 folder.
6) if any other folder is found, manually delete but do not delete 1.01, this is the original main mod.
7) if nothing was found a part from 1.01, resubscribe and confirm back if its still a problem or fixed.

Many thanks. We will get it resolved, something can be confusing at first so you are not alone :)

Please also ensure if you have any custom server mods using the NGTC skin pack that they are uninstalled before commencing the above fix. Please let me know if something doesnt make sense.

Last edited:
Jimmy, the Astra is also causing a problem in my install.
Have you tried working through my above points? my thoughts, do you have a mod pack using the install that has got a grip on 1.05? if so my points above would resolve. I can rebuild the packages but at the same time if its not the packages it wouldnt make much sense. I have literally just unsubscribed, checked my folders and resubscribed and I have all the car content.

Last edited:
Thanks Jimmy, much appreciated.

I must make clear I manually archive all 3rd party workshop content.
I have had a few issues packing rfmods for the Porsche Cup and BMW CS skin packs, so much so that I had to leave them subscribed.
Never with my 2 BTCC rfmods though, well that is not true because January I have not had correct versions.

When updates are available I uninstall any rfmods attached to the content.
I uninstall upgrades then uninstall the content.
I then check the installed folders for any remnants.
I then re subscribe and get fresh downloads to all updated mods.
I archive and check
I then manually install all content.
Test run check BTCC cars.

So yesterday I did the same and re-subbed the BTCC NGTC, BTCC NGTC Skin Pack and BTCC NGTC Honda Civic 2013 Skin Pack.
Opened Beyond Compare and MG was still V5, Astra V2 and the Focus, Mercedes Subaru are V1.

Once I had a issue like this I just could not fix but I can't remember which mod.

Basically I had to start with a fresh rF2, redownloaded all DLC, installed all my other content from archives, activated my 20 rfmods and every single thing worked. lol

I think it must be related to making rfmods.

However I then scrubbed all that even the archives.
Re-subbed again ( well 3 times actually :) just to be sure )
I let Steam install everything
Went to All Tracks and Cars and MG cars still have V5 on them.

The other weird thing is when I make the rfmod there are only 2 2018 MG not 5 as in All Tracks & Cars.
That is something I have never ever seen before in any rfmod.
What you see in All cars is 100% what you get in a rfmod, well should be if you have not missed ticking all the skin boxes ( I checked 5 times )

So I think it is some errant file unrelated to NGTC that is keeping old versions hostage.

Last edited:
Just to show this is pics of wiping all BTCC NGTC content and rfmod.
You can see in the workshop packages list there is none

Resubbed NGTC content
Start rF2
NGTC and your packs installed ( I see V5 again flash past )
checked workshop downloads
They still old versions

P.S. The reason you can see all content in one list is using Beyond Compare to "flatten" the folder.
Just to make that clear ;)
This is pic of the fresh downloads done a few minutes ago into the workshop contents folder.
Must be file/s in steam app workshop folder ( not the actual rfms' makes it keep downloading old version or something along those lines )

I pretty sure I got to kill rF2 lol :)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the excellent information, something tells me that I have seen this issue before as well and I have been able to resolve it for myself. Can you give me a couple of days, say to the weekend so I can have a play. I have all the NGTC cars in packages as well so I can replicate the manual install. I will bring the Honda into the mix just in case but I don't see how that would have an effect on the MG upgrading. One thing I do sometimes when we have had cars being silly with packages is also delete cars livery folders just to try and clean out as much of the old rubbish as possible. If I cant resolve it by the weekend the quickest and easiest thing to do is to make another upgrade version to try and enforce the upgrade comes across??

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back