How to drive the Formula Vee?

Hey Guys,

OK, I am at a bit of a loss here. How do you drive a formula vee without spinning out at each corner. I know that it is a rear engine, read wheel drive. The weight and power is all back there, and then when the power is off, wipe out!

Any suggestions on how to handle this beast?

I am playing with all aids off.

Hey Guys,

OK, I am at a bit of a loss here. How do you drive a formula vee without spinning out at each corner. I know that it is a rear engine, read wheel drive. The weight and power is all back there, and then when the power is off, wipe out!

Any suggestions on how to handle this beast?

I am playing with all aids off.
The Vee is a tricky beast and it takes a lot of time to get used to. When i first drove it i was spinning out everywhere but soon it came to me. Really you want to get as straight of an exit as possible and try not to have any wheelspin. This is definitely a momentum car so you want to carry as much as possible without sliding. 1st and 2nd gear are basically useless.

I love!!! the Vee

I use to spin all time too and still do, just not as often. thing i learnt was not to be fully off the throttle and hard on brakes into any sort of change of direction, i take a slower entry and have the throttle cracked on and feed it in from apex and steer from the rear with throttle if it happens to start losing grip... so much fun and reward when you start getting the hang of it

Slow and easy and smooth.
The Vee is ace, one of the most fun cars I've driven in a Sim.
Once you get the hang of it, you can have loads of fun in it, sliding it all over the place.
I use my ears as much as anything else, keeping it just on the edge of the wheels squealing backing off when they really start screeching.

Brands is a tough course to learn a car like that, especially turn one.
Try tame it somewhere like Caruaru with less extreme elevation changes maybe?

Another vote for the physics quality of the FVee, a real champ car in a small package.
Problem with real sims is that YOU MUST DRIVE PROPERLY, so, you must understand the value of braking distance and smooth application of the brakes, you must watch your racing line, though there's always room to move, and you must also watch your throttle use and also use your throttle to control/steer the ass end of these slippery cars.

The vee takes time to drive but once you get used to it is a blast, start slow and steady and always drive into the corners as much as possible and try not turn into the corners too much, also lower the tyre air pressure a tiny bit on the front tyres and do a test for a few laps, then do the same for the rear tyre pressures and again do a few laps as a test, save and use which ever one was better for you..hope it helps and good luck on the track :)

The Vee is one of my favorite sim cars, only recently had time to get some laps in with it. Using manual clutch & box, it is fantastic. Agree with the driving techniques already stated. Using the throttle to balance the car in a corner is a must.

Reactions: Bez
Have to agree with what is already said. Stick with it, as Troy mentioned the car is about momentum, and less about hard braking and full throttle out of a corner. (He should know, he's no slouch when driving these things!!):)
To give you confidence while learning, select an easier track, and put positive Toe on the rear (a lot), with soft rear springs this will help stability, just while getting used to it!!:whistling:

And don't use the default setup as is....

I've found a lot more control and speed by stiffening the front sway bar and springs, and softening the rear springs and lessening the packers. The default (on my install) has 80lb rear springs, which I lowered 1 click to 76lbs. The rear packers are set at 1.2in or so. I lowered mine to .5 -.7 depending on the track. Packers are rubber bumpers. What happens is that as the rear rolls going into a corner it hits the packers and the spring instantly goes from a 76/80lbs to much higher resistance on the rubber bumpers. Lower numbers give more room for bumpy tracks (ie Brands). Higher numbers work good for flat and smooth tracks.

I also like a stiffer front end than the default. I go max on the sway bar and move the front springs up and down as needed per track, mostly in the 100+ range. Get the car to balance well between pushing a little on full throttle to rotating the rear on throttle off. Tires I left at the default, but that's another nice adjusting tool as well.

The main thing as mentioned is to be smooth with your inputs, steering, gas, brake. When you are going into a corner, squeeze on your brake hard, gently lift off it before the corner, and then rotate the wheel smoothly into the turn. If jab and jerk... well, you've found out.

Also, if you start to get loose, there are two things you can do. One is to saw your steering back and forth quickly (makes the front end loose grip). The other is to go more neutral with your throttle. By neutral I mean if you are pushing full throttle and starting to spin, lift a little (moves weight from back to front). Or if you are getting loose from throttle-off, add a little gas (moves weight from front to back).

Great video if you haven't watch it:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 272 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing