How to drive a RWD car?

Jarrod Crossley

Rubbin Racer!
Hello

I am struggling with RWD cars in general so heres what I know compared to whats going wrong.

1. As I power out of a corner the car has a tendancy to oversteer, So I am reducing the lock to compensate in in some cases Im actually getting down as far as 0% but still having the same problems

2. When braking again car has a tendancy to oversteer which I have altered the bias to make sure both wheels are locking up about the same time but still results in oversteer to which I am now increasing the Coast value which again in some cases is now at 100% and still the same effect.

3. Is this now where I need to start altering the pre load to comapensate or Im I missing something?

I don't know much about setups, but when driving a RWD car, when your still in the corner, don't push full the throttle, just a little bit, and when your out of the corner, you can push the throttle to the full. The same applies to the brakes. I hope this helps a bit.

When you brake I blip the throttle (maybe 10-20%) as I change down the gears. Furthermore I dont change down like a FWD, as in on the redline down each gear. I find it much better to slowly change down the gears.

Acceleration - EVO cars have a lot of power, so just gently apply the throttle and gradually apply more as you exit the corner. (Be very careful over curbs etc.

As I power out of a corner the car has a tendancy to oversteer, So I am reducing the lock to compensate in in some cases Im actually getting down as far as 0% but still having the same problems

if u want less oversteering when applying throttle then u should increase the lock and not decrease. i can not promise that this is the right thing, but i do it this way.
can someone plz say if im right or wrong?

• Bill Bailey

If you are having problems on more than one point on the track then you need to think about what those points have in common. In this case you have too little rear wheel grip at two different points. You need to increase rear end grip levels. Either soften the rear suspension, (softer springs, less roll bar, etc.) and or add rear wing. Everything you change affects the car somewhere else. If you add wing you will have a slightly lower top speed. If you soften the rear you will need to watch out for bottoming out and understeer.

Bill

I have a similar problem to Jarrod ...
I love driving RWD cars, spent forever rear wheel steering and hot lapping in the completely unforgiving GPL cars, and am loving all the Evo cars, but I just can not get on with the Bimmer for love nor money :nono:

Ill try to make my E90 setups understeering a little bit. The real aliens all use oversteering setups that are way to twitchy for me. But having them understeered and with more grip it suits my driving style better

What i always try to do:
  1. Significant more frontspring then rearspring (for ex: 110/85)
  2. Higher front antiroll bar then rear (for ex: 90/15)
  3. More front toe then rear (for ex: -0.30/0.00) I mostly have rear toe on 0.00, gives me better grip out of corners then a positive toe.
  4. Always a little preload: 2 or 3
  5. On some occassions i even use more front height then rear (for example monza and oschersleben, with the high curbstones, for some reason my car seems more stable going over them in that setting)

you increase Coast to to get the car to turn in more... on the E90 I use ~ 30/30/3 and up or down this to suit the track.
Lock I run 21 degrees and use 450 degrees in G25 settings.
I also find the E90 the hardest to get to grips with... the other RWDs are easier to get sorted...

After a little chat with Bram I found a good majority of my problems.

1. I was reducing lock were I should have been increasing it.
2. The setup guide I was using was giving me the wrong information (Old GTR2 Setup guide)
3. The other setupguide I was using didn't cover the diff (race2plays setup developer)

Though I must admit I do like the Race2play one when it comes to sorting out tire pressures and camber.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 313 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 215 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 211 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 273 13.4%