F1 2012 How to create speccoc files

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)
so, u guys...how do U create them?, and how to save them, w/wo alpha, wich settings and stuff.., just a quick explanation would be so nice

Take the original Speccoc file, and in the channels tab (normally the red and green channels) click one colour at a time and paint out the logos etc (what isn't needed....use the colour picker to get the right colour for painting.

Once all unwanted stuff has been painted out, save the speccoc file as a Number 2.

When placing the logos onto your speccoc file, change the logos to white by adjusting the levels, then using the original speccoc file as a colour source for correcet logo colour, use the image/adjustments/photo filter click on the colour box, pick your prechosen colour from the original, turn the slider all the way up and un tick preserve luminosity.

Then repeat depending on how many different layers you have.

This may seem long winded, but it gives the best results.

Take the original Speccoc file, and in the channels tab (normally the red and green channels) click one colour at a time and paint out the logos etc (what isn't needed....use the colour picker to get the right colour for painting.

Once all unwanted stuff has been painted out, save the speccoc file as a Number 2.

When placing the logos onto your speccoc file, change the logos to white by adjusting the levels, then using the original speccoc file as a colour source for correcet logo colour, use the image/adjustments/photo filter click on the colour box, pick your prechosen colour from the original, turn the slider all the way up and un tick preserve luminosity.

Then repeat depending on how many different layers you have.

This may seem long winded, but it gives the best results.
What does the speccoc file do?

What does the speccoc file do?

It basically displays and reflects the paint and logos correctly.

By altering the speccoc file along with the materials.xml you could if you wanted turn a McLaren to a matt finish. If the logos on the speccoc file are not placed correctly, it's possible that the older logos will show through creating ghosting on the car.

Take the original Speccoc file

So I'm using your 3D models to get the main and wheel files at 4096 (thank you) but how are you getting that size on the speccoc?

Are you exporting the speccoc at 2048 and resizing in Photoshop? I tried changing the size of the export in the PSSG Editor proper but it seemed to not respond correctly.

Thanks

So I'm using your 3D models to get the main and wheel files at 4096 (thank you) but how are you getting that size on the speccoc?

Are you exporting the speccoc at 2048 and resizing in Photoshop? I tried changing the size of the export in the PSSG Editor proper but it seemed to not respond correctly.

Thanks

Everything I export from game, I resize in Photoshop to the size I need it to be. Then resize smaller again just before saving it as a game file.

Everything I export from game, I resize in Photoshop to the size I need it to be. Then resize smaller again just before saving it as a game file.
Interesting.....So how are the graphics "improving" if we're just going from 2048 at 72ppi to 4096 at 288 ppi? Aren't we just "blowing up" the existing resolution? Not doubting, just very curious btw. :)

Also, I might be wrong about 72 ppi, I honestly don't remember what the default value is.

Yes you are just blowing them up, but I just then use them as a guide as everthing else I do is pretty much re-drawn at the new size.

Yes you are just blowing them up, but I just then use them as a guide as everthing else I do is pretty much re-drawn at the new size.
Right, but the speccoc is still "blown up" right? Is there a way to create one from scratch, using the updated skin? That would be a time saver. :) If it were a photo filter of some kind or a combination of a couple.

Right, but the speccoc is still "blown up" right? Is there a way to create one from scratch, using the updated skin? That would be a time saver. :)

Yes you re-create it from the painted texture dds file.

You bring them in a layer at a time to build a new speccoc file, paint, logos, carbon etc etc.

Yes you re-create it from the painted texture dds file.

You bring them in a layer at a time to build a new speccoc file, paint, logos, carbon etc etc.

1. So, you export the speccoc

2. resize it to 4096 px and 288 ppi (thanks for that)

3."Erase" the existing info on the three channels

4. Then what? Just re-save? I'm unclear as to how to add the new logos and elements to the updated speccoc and keep it looking as it does. Does it have to look "purple?" Can it be anything, as long as the shading is present?

I haven't gotten to this part mind you. Took me two days alone to get the logos straight.....:confused:......as I'm sure you're well aware. :) Is it as simple as just dragging layers between files to still achieve the desired effect?

1. So, you export the speccoc

2. resize it to 4096 px and 288 ppi (thanks for that)

3."Erase" the existing info on the three channels

4. Then what? Just re-save? I'm unclear as to how to add the new logos and elements to the updated speccoc and keep it looking as it does. Does it have to look "purple?" Can it be anything, as long as the shading is present?

I haven't gotten to this part mind you. Took me two days alone to get the logos straight.....:confused:......as I'm sure you're well aware. :) Is it as simple as just dragging layers between files to still achieve the desired effect?

No it can't be anything.

The different levels of purple etc dictate what levels of reflection different parts of the car will have.

For example white bodywork will work out as a chromed effect on the car, dark blue would be a matt finish to the car. he varying shades of purple in between will therefore be a range of finish between these two colours.

The greens that appear are the shading parts that would be present on the car in game.

You could just try to paint out the logos and paintwork on the red and green channels on the speccoc file to leave just a blank and see how that works for you.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 102 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 183 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 360 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 501 39.0%