How to connect Hall sensors to pedals?

Friends, I make myself pedals, and I want to install Hall sensors there instead of potentiometers, but I don’t know which sensors are needed and how to connect them to the Arduino board, I ask your help)

Attachments

• uFgIaie_S3k.jpg
    uFgIaie_S3k.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 1,358
If you want something that can be directly connected to the arduino without any other circuitry (e.g. amplifier), then you are probably looking at something like this: https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detail/en/tt-electronics-bi/6127V1A360L.5/987-1389-ND/2620658

They are not cheap :)

Edit: you will need to power the sensor (+5v / Gnd) and then connect the Vout pin to an A* pin on the arduino so you can analogueRead() from it

Have you considered a load cell for the brake? Since you appear to have taken some time to design and build the pedals, I think you should be able to manufacture something pretty easily. They often come with the HX711 which can be used directly by the arduino e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-Load...epid=0&hash=item4b708a871a:g:XlQAAOSwIaFZNTFf - 1/3 the price of the hall effect sensor too

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One thing to note about the magnets. Looking at the datasheet, you get the full range of the hall effect sensor if you can move both the north and south poles over the sensor, but those button ones I linked to would only move one pole over the sensor so you would be limited to 1/2 the voltage range. This might not be a huge problem as you can handle it in software, but it might affect the resolution.

Upvote 0
Let us know how you get on. I bought some arduino clones a few weeks ago to mess around with and evaluate (I usually use PIC), so I am interested to see what you get up to!

Upvote 0
Hey @APi_Racing - I just started looking at replacing my pots with hall effect sensors and remembered your project. How did you get on in the end?
Just found this thread and I'm going Hall Effect due to pots keep needing cleaning and replacing.

I've ordered the sensors and the magnets have already arrived.

Once the sensors are here, I'll be fitting them to my Fanatec CSR Elite Accelerator and Clutch pedals. I should be producing some sort of video to go through the process at the same time too.

Upvote 0
Just found this thread and I'm going Hall Effect due to pots keep needing cleaning and replacing.

I've ordered the sensors and the magnets have already arrived.

Once the sensors are here, I'll be fitting them to my Fanatec CSR Elite Accelerator and Clutch pedals. I should be producing some sort of video to go through the process at the same time too.
Hi @Alex Townsend Did you have any luck with this?

Upvote 0
Hola, usando un 1302 o un KY-24 solo obtengo tensiones de 2,5 v a 3,9v aprox, con lo que la resolucion es baja. Alguien pude solucionar esto con softaware o modificando el sketch de arduino? Gracias.

Hello, using a 1302 or a KY-24 I only get voltages from 2.5v to 3.9v approx, so the resolution is low. Could someone solve this with software or by modifying the Arduino sketch? Thanks

Upvote 0
That sounds like you are only measuring one pole of the magnet. Do you think you would be able to mount the magnet differently so that the sensor sees both poles as it moves across it? If you can you post some pics people here might have some suggestions.

You could try reducing the reference voltage to the ADC to help a little. I think most arduino have 10bits resolution, so with a reference of 4V you will be around 3.9mV per step which is about 360 steps. My only other suggestion would be to look for one with a 12 bit ADC.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 239 14.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 166 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 159 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 120 7.5%
  • < 5 years