How to connect Hall sensors to pedals?

APi_Racing

1RPM
Dec 3, 2019
Friends, I make myself pedals, and I want to install Hall sensors there instead of potentiometers, but I don’t know which sensors are needed and how to connect them to the Arduino board, I ask your help)

Attachments

GeekyDeaks

25RPM
Dec 26, 2019
If you want something that can be directly connected to the arduino without any other circuitry (e.g. amplifier), then you are probably looking at something like this: https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detail/en/tt-electronics-bi/6127V1A360L.5/987-1389-ND/2620658

They are not cheap :)

Edit: you will need to power the sensor (+5v / Gnd) and then connect the Vout pin to an A* pin on the arduino so you can analogueRead() from it

Have you considered a load cell for the brake? Since you appear to have taken some time to design and build the pedals, I think you should be able to manufacture something pretty easily. They often come with the HX711 which can be used directly by the arduino e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-Load-Cell-Weight-Sensor-20KG-Portable-Scale-HX711-Weighing-Sensors-Ad-ModlMR/324010673946?epid=0&hash=item4b708a871a:g:XlQAAOSwIaFZNTFf - 1/3 the price of the hall effect sensor too

Last edited:

GeekyDeaks

25RPM
Dec 26, 2019
One thing to note about the magnets. Looking at the datasheet, you get the full range of the hall effect sensor if you can move both the north and south poles over the sensor, but those button ones I linked to would only move one pole over the sensor so you would be limited to 1/2 the voltage range. This might not be a huge problem as you can handle it in software, but it might affect the resolution.

GeekyDeaks

25RPM
Dec 26, 2019
Let us know how you get on. I bought some arduino clones a few weeks ago to mess around with and evaluate (I usually use PIC), so I am interested to see what you get up to!

APi_Racing

1RPM
Dec 3, 2019
Well, I will order magnets and sensors the other day, and as soon as everything arrives, I will collect and share information and photos with you)

Reactions: GeekyDeaks