How to backup Assetto Corsa?

I have recently had some annoying problems after installing Sol 2 and CSP 1.6 (black sky and black glasses on a few cars). I don't know if I messed it up with the installations, but the point is that uninstalling Sol and downgrading to my old version of CSP didn't fix the problem.

I have a backup of my entire Assetto Corsa folder (D:\Assetto Corsa), so I restored my backup and, to my surprise, the problem was still there. It took some some hours and many attempts before I was able to downgrade and fix the issues.

As you can imagine, now I have taken the decission to never upgrade again nor change anything until I can be sure I have a way to effectively restore my current configuration.

Therefore, I understand that I need to backup something else to completelly restore my Assetto Corsa. I think that backuping also *documents folder*\Assetto Corsa will be the solution, because maybe the things related to CPS and Sol are installed there. I could also backup my *user*\Appdata\Local\ AcTools Content Manager folder.

Has anyone tried this? I mean, restoring these 3 folders in case of disaster and have your game as it was before? Honestly, I don't feel like doing risky experiments.

I don't feel like doing risky experiments.
Thanks for posing the question. There is an app for that: GameSave Manager

I have seen other casually mention saving and restoring, and intended to sort how.
For example, I use AOMEI Backupper, perhaps could use those brute force backups and selectively restore, but that still begs knowing what is needed, e.g. registry entries.

In addition to its own fora, there is discussion on Steam

Hi Elaphe,
Just wondering if you have found a viable backup solution for Assetto Corsa. I am in the process of deciding how to backup my AC install. Last year I upgraded from a laptop to a desktop and I managed to move my AC install to the new PC. I can’t remember exactly how I did it but I know I didn’t manually reinstall all my mods so I must have at least copied the 'Content' folder. There are other locations such as the Assetto Corsa folder in the Documents folder plus other locations for Content Manager and presets etc. Anyway, if you’ve come up with anything I’d be interested to know.
JoshOz.

I backup my installation all the time, but I do it manually. I have a spare hard drive in my system that is strictly for backups. I manually copy the 'assettocorsa' folder in the 'Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common' directory. The 'Assetto Corsa' folder from my 'Documents' directory. And the 'AcTools Content Manager' folder from the 'C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local' directory.

Unless you have done some strange installation, those three folders will contain all you need to do a complete restore if you totally screw something up. I also have a stock backup of the assettocorsa folder before I added any mods in case I ever want to go completely back and start over. That way I don't have to download the game again.

If you prefer to use some kind of backup software, just make sure you choose the three folders I listed as part of you backup job.

Last edited:
Installing non-stable versions are too risky ! Each time i try, i have major issues.
To backup efficiently, i use a tiny app to provide a mirror. Because, to be efficient, you have to copy all the files but also to delete extra files

Hi guys! I have a related question about this. I want a new fresh clean installation of Assetto Corsa but dont want to loose tracks, cars, screenshots, the CSP and rainFX keys, statistics of cars, history progress and so on...
How can a know wich folders/files must I backup before erasing everythig?

Hi guys! I have a related question about this. I want a new fresh clean installation of Assetto Corsa but dont want to loose tracks, cars, screenshots, the CSP and rainFX keys, statistics of cars, history progress and so on...
How can a know wich folders/files must I backup before erasing everythig?

Hi javiersm100,
I have just gone through the process of setting up a backup drive so I'll tell you what I've included. I pretty much followed the advice given previously in this thread by 'racinjoe013' (thanks racinjoe013!).
I am backing up the following -

1. \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa
(Note: You could probably only backup the 'content' directory in this location but there might be some config files you want to restore later after a fresh install so I just backup the whole 'assettocorsa' directory. Oh and also the 'mods' directory is here. They are the mods you can enable/disable within Content Manager)

2. \Users\yourusernamehere\Documents\Assetto Corsa
(This directory includes your replays, screenshots, personal best file, config directory with important files like user force feedback settings and any LUTs you might be using. There are a whole range of files in this location that could be quite useful in saving you time reconfiguring a new installation.

3. \Users\yourusernamehere\AppData\Local\AcTools Content Manager
(In Content Manager if you personalize anything and save the preset, this is where it saves. Things like controller settings, video settings, race grid setups, etc.)

I have gone through the process of a fresh install with a new PC but unfortunately I only had my 'content' directory backed up so I had to spend quite a bit of time reconfiguring things. Next time should be easier.

Also in regards to Custom Shader Patch and Sol. I wouldn't worry too much about these because it's a good idea to install them from scratch with new installation of AC. You can restore your settings from \Users\yourusernamehere\AppData\Local\AcTools Content Manager\Presets\Custom Shaders Patch Presets
***Just make sure you save a preset***

That's about all I can think of for now, javiersm100. Let us know how you go with the fresh installation. Hope it goes well for you.

JoshOz.

Last edited:
Hi javiersm100,
I have just gone through the process of setting up a backup drive so I'll tell you what I've included. I pretty much followed the advice given previously in this thread by 'racinjoe013' (thanks racinjoe013!).
I am backing up the following -

1. \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa
(Note: You could probably only backup the 'content' directory in this location but there might be some config files you want to restore later after a fresh install so I just backup the whole 'assettocorsa' directory. Oh and also the 'mods' directory is here. They are the mods you can enable/disable within Content Manager)

2. \Users\yourusernamehere\Documents\Assetto Corsa
(This directory includes your replays, screenshots, personal best file, config directory with important files like user force feedback settings and any LUTs you might be using. There are a whole range of files in this location that could be quite useful in saving you time reconfiguring a new installation.

3. \Users\yourusernamehere\AppData\Local\AcTools Content Manager
(In Content Manager if you personalize anything and save the preset, this is where it saves. Things like controller settings, video settings, race grid setups, etc.)

I have gone through the process of a fresh install with a new PC but unfortunately I only had my 'content' directory backed up so I had to spend quite a bit of time reconfiguring things. Next time should be easier.

Also in regards to Custom Shader Patch and Sol. I wouldn't worry too much about these because it's a good idea to install them from scratch with new installation of AC. You can restore your settings from \Users\yourusernamehere\AppData\Local\AcTools Content Manager\Presets\Custom Shaders Patch Presets
***Just make sure you save a preset***

That's about all I can think of for now, javiersm100. Let us know how you go with the fresh installation. Hope it goes well for you.

JoshOz.

Thanks a lot!!! I wil tell you here how was my fresh new install.

A question related to this: is it possible to move your Assetto Corsa + Content Manager + CPS + Sol from one drive to another? Let's suppose you have it in D:\Assetto Corsa and want it in C:\Assetto Corsa. Would moving the folder do the job or would you have to manually change paths in files, or even reinstall and reconfigure the whole game?

A question related to this: is it possible to move your Assetto Corsa + Content Manager + CPS + Sol from one drive to another? Let's suppose you have it in D:\Assetto Corsa and want it in C:\Assetto Corsa. Would moving the folder do the job or would you have to manually change paths in files, or even reinstall and reconfigure the whole game?
Pretty sure Steam wouldn’t like a drive change.

Hi Elaphe. The previous poster, Johnr777 is correct in saying that Steam would not be happy about simply moving the files to another location. However, I did find an article relating to the process. I cannot vouch for the process as I've never tried it but it seems simple enough. Also you would need to alter the Assetto Corsa location in Content Manager (screen shot included), so Content Manager is aware of the location change. Sol and CSP are installed under the root Assetto Corsa directory so I would imagine they would move across seamlessly, but I could be wrong of course. If you do manage to move your Assetto Corsa installation successfully I'd love to hear about it. Or if it doesn't work as expected maybe you could share what went wrong. Good luck!
JoshOz.

Howtogeek article - Move Steam game location

gamelocation.png

Steam has a function to move games to another drive. I've done it a few times when I thought one of my drives was causing an issue and it moved everything including mods.

Thats a positive suprise. Never touched AC`s drive because of the mods.
Did not think steam move the mods too.

I have done it with Raceroom once. And steam has treaten it as a "second" installation. After that many setting were messed up (even without mods)

Back to topic. I always save the extansion, mods content + mydocuments/AC folders on a external hdd manually.

Additinal said: I am always fighting with disc space in AC so weeks ago i tried the compression tool - CompactGUI2
It works flawless with the recommended compression size, i have compressed my track folder (about 45gb) and got 25gb free space with few clicks.

Thats a positive suprise. Never touched AC`s drive because of the mods.
Did not think steam move the mods too.

I have done it with Raceroom once. And steam has treaten it as a "second" installation. After that many setting were messed up (even without mods)

Back to topic. I always save the extansion, mods content + mydocuments/AC folders on a external hdd manually.

Additinal said: I am always fighting with disc space in AC so weeks ago i tried the compression tool - CompactGUI2
It works flawless with the recommended compression size, i have compressed my track folder (about 45gb) and got 25gb free space with few clicks.
That’s rather interesting Kevin. I’ve never thought about compressing AC files. Do the files get uncompressed when accsssed then compressed again when not in use? Curious how it works.

That’s rather interesting Kevin. I’ve never thought about compressing AC files. Do the files get uncompressed when accsssed then compressed again when not in use? Curious how it works.
Well i really don`t know the "trick" behind it. But its fact it`s working without any problem so far (even its a SSD).
One thing is - you have always the option to manually uncompress the files again, for example if you want edit something, lets say change AI files or something.

I have read some rumors somewhere the acces to the files is even faster while compressed?! But it could stress the CPU. So if someone has a very old CPU he should let it be. But how i said- only rumors maybe.

Definetly worth a try - just backup your folder and go.

Well i really don`t know the "trick" behind it. But its fact it`s working without any problem so far (even its a SSD).
One thing is - you have always the option to manually uncompress the files again, for example if you want edit something, lets say change AI files or something.

I have read some rumors somewhere the acces to the files is even faster while compressed?! But it could stress the CPU. So if someone has a very old CPU he should let it be. But how i said- only rumors maybe.

Definetly worth a try - just backup your folder and go.
Thanks for that Kevin. I might look into it because my Assetto Corsa folder is taking up a lot of space these days. Just as well I’m only playing three sim racing titles otherwise I would have run out of space for sure. Assetto Corsa is just so versatile with all the mods and the ability to set up just about any race you want.

Thanks for that Kevin. I might look into it because my Assetto Corsa folder is taking up a lot of space these days. Just as well I’m only playing three sim racing titles otherwise I would have run out of space for sure. Assetto Corsa is just so versatile with all the mods and the ability to set up just about any race you want.
:D yes i feel the same way. Running now over 40 championships with hundereds of cars and maybe 150+ tracks makes the Disc space disappear fast .
So this litte CompactGUI2 saved my ass

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back