How should I structure my installs?

The biggest PITA about rF2 is managing the updated versions and re-installing all those stinking mods. My subscription ran out so I don't get the auto updates. So any time a new update is released, I need to re-download the RF2 Lite install, then reinstall all my mods. I have read that once a mod is installed, it takes something in the "Packages" folder, and places it into the "Installed" folder? I could then remove the mod in the Packages folder if I so choose. (But since I need to reinstall mods with version updates, I keep them around.)

So lets say I get a new version, I install it to \rFactor798\. Copy the UserData from the old one into the new one, then start reinstalling my mods. I can deleted my old install (\rfactor770\) completely? I have the \Packages\ folder on a Data drive and the game files on my SSD drive to save space.

Let me know if I'm doing too much work or setting myself up for trouble. Its an incredibly frustrating process. And its too bad since I just took out the DW12 for a spin and it blew me away, I ran 3 races against AI back to back to back it was so enjoyable...

Thanks, Ryan

it takes something in the "Packages" folder, and places it into the "Installed" folder?

Yes exactly

I can deleted my old install (\rfactor770\) completely?

Yep, however you might want to save your UserData folder so you keep your settings and controller setup

I also use a different directory for the packages (with a subfolder for ISI content and for third party mods) to keep everything more organized.

Let me know if I'm doing too much work
I think even without a subscription you should be able to just update your existing install, so you don't need a new folder for every update.

Yes exactly

Yep, however you might want to save your UserData folder so you keep your settings and controller setup

I also use a different directory for the packages (with a subfolder for ISI content and for third party mods) to keep everything more organized.

I think even without a subscription you should be able to just update your existing install, so you don't need a new folder for every update.
Just a note to the last part. Until build 798 you had to reinstall it without the subscription. Since Build 798 the auto update should work for non subscribers as well.

By the way to get the best experience in rF2 get a subscription and join some online races
http://www.racedepartment.com/forums/rfactor-2-racing-club.75/
;)

AutoUpdate or not, there is no need to reinstall all content every time.

Just download the new lite-installer and install it over your existing installation and that's all.

Or if you take 1 extra minute to make it cleaner.
Uninstall the rf2-core (leave your rfactor 2 folder in documents intact) and after that just install the core again with your new lite-installer.

Since all your content is sitting in your documents folder anyway (if you are using the default paths),there is no need to ever touch it.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 84 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 59 9.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 67 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 40 6.1%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 92 14.1%