How often do you change racing position?

what driving position do you mainly use whilst using your rig? F1 GT Saloon?

how easy it to change the driving position on your rig? How long does it take to change ? Do you use any tools?

Im using a GT driving position but I mainly end up using F1 formula cars but the current rig I have doesn’t move to a F1 position.
Wondering how others find this or what you do?

I never change, I am in a gt position, seat back at around 40 degrees. I race open wheelers and gt's.

I am always surprised when I am in VR and I get in a car that has a very upright seating position and I feel like I am far too upright even though my real position is quite different.

My only aim for my position was to get something comfortable that wont hurt my back or shoulders over a period of time.

Upvote 0
Never. Fixed, home made position in a formula/GT mixed angle with slightly elevated pedal box. Can sit in it for hours without chronic lower back pain which is a first for me.

Upvote 0
Try to never change and go in search of confort and utility.
Driving position in real race cars is compromised by chasis/center of gravity and those are a nonsense in home simracing.

My Driving position/rig try to recreate a VW Golf mkIV, confort and easy reachable controls. The real seat of the car is the most important part.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Modern GT and F1 positions are so close that with little imagination and esp. in VR you won't tell the difference.
I do not believe there is any practical to use solid solution that allows you easily convert between two as you need to change:
- seat angle
- steering wheel position
- pedals position
- monitor position (if racing on screen)

Upvote 0
Thanks All,
It seem like most of you use a GT position and maybe tweak the seat slightly. I am struggling to find a cockpit pit that is able to change between these two positions? I have seen a couple that do GT & Saloon however.Any suggestions on rigs that do allow F1>GT>Saloon positions?

@Andrew_WOT Great point about having to change positions for wheel/pedals/ seat etc how long would this take to do? I'm guess 5-10 minutes for each so around 30-40 to change position seems like a lot of effort.

This is sounding like I'll have to compromise my position vs time and effort. Interested to hear other drivers experiences about this? Do you keep the position because your limited to a GT position or is it too much effort to change everything?

Upvote 0
Modern GT and F1 positions are so close that with little imagination and esp. in VR you won't tell the difference.
I do not believe there is any practical to use solid solution that allows you easily convert between two as you need to change:
- seat angle
- steering wheel position
- pedals position
- monitor position (if racing on screen)
GT and F1 positions the same? Really?

Upvote 0
GT position and never change, it doesn't really matter that much to me as I race GT cars mainly.

But, I tested a Formula rig once at Canary Wharf. It was, I think, an old GP2 shell with triple 24s with the wheel and pedals fitted where they would be on a typical formula car.

It felt so natural and super immersive.
I wonder if, sat in my GT seating position at home, that it's the reason I drive GT more than formula cars these days?

Obviously if I had the money I'd have two rigs, one designed and built for Formula and the other as my current GT rig. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

GT and F1 positions the same? Really?
No the same, I didn't say that, but not really day and night difference if you set GT position right.
seating_positions.jpg

Upvote 0
Any suggestions on rigs that do allow F1>GT>Saloon positions?

Here's my research and project. The project is waiting for winter to roll around again so I have indoor time to finish.

Upvote 0
I change every now and again, but the process involves changing the whole seat so I'm not quite sure if that's exactly what you're after.

I use a normal sparco bucket seat for gt/rally type of driving and then a LusoMotors rcc-mk8 for open wheelers/prototypes. The changing of seats takes maybe five minutes and about the same for pedals too. The rig is selfdesigned alu profile rig that needed to accommodate kids as well so adjustability was one of the keys in the design process.

It's bit hard to put into words, but I do think my immersion is affected by the seat and the ergonomics

Upvote 0
When building my rig from scrap aluminium profil that was donated to me by a friend i first tried to reacreate the seating position from my "toy"car Toyota GT86.

But that was a lot more uncomfortable than driving the real thing, i never found out why.
I use an old reclinable recaro seat which is very comfy, but the steering wheel grew closer and the pedals are farther away now.

It just feels right now and I can live in there for hours.

Besides, i think you will find your favorite car and then not swap to often.
Because it would take some time and work, not just mechanically but also changing the wheel and all the settings to it.

I have three wheels that i don´t change that often and half the time i have to abort the drive and change the presets because pedals/H-shift or button assignment don´t work.:sick:

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
Here's my research and project. The project is waiting for winter to roll around again so I have indoor time to finish.

some nice insights! Look forward to seeing some concept designs

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back