How much would you spend?

On your sim racing hobby? I've just started back a couple of weeks ago and so far, I've spent a fair bit but I'm now looking to invest in a GT Omega ART cockpit (After I've just bought a wheelstand ffs lol) I've been buying things but I may as well have spent my money on the cockpit straight off but there we go, we live and learn. Basically though I'm trying to convince myself it's a worthwhile investment £259. Can I class this as a serious hobby or am I just another normal gamer? I know people on here have probably spent thousands on their set ups. Do you have to justify it to yourselves or your wives etc? From what we spend, people say "you could've bought a real car" blah de blah so I'm just looking for you all to justify me to purchase the cockpit hahahaha! it will skint me no doubt but I work hard and pay all my normal bills (rent, electric, loans etc) so do I stay with what I have or should I invest? is it a proper hobby or just gaming? I've attached a photo of what I have now but I'm 50/50 as to which way to go next plus I'm at work all day and bored lololol. Cheers for reading :)

Attachments

• IMG_0414.JPG
    IMG_0414.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 371
It really depends on how serious you are taking it. I did ran several leauges and five years with a G25 clamped to my desk and that was it. So had 150€ simracing equipment. Even when I started my job after studying and then obviously having more money available I didn't spent it on simracing, but this year I bought a new wheel and then figured out a button box would be nice and I even spent more than 150€ on a Dash, that was the total worth of my old "rig" :D
Sometime in the future I have to get some sort of rig as my chair/desk combo is not that comfortable, but that has to wait. I dont have expensive hobbys or waste my money in anyway, so I have no problem to justify the 1300€ I spent this year. I used to play e-guitar and still have my guitars and these things are often a lot more expensive. It depends what you are after. There are people who spent thousands of euros on motion rigs, which is something I can't see me do even if I had the money, because for that money I would go Karting or something.

If you compare it to real racing and Karting even a trible screen setup, with a bodnar wheel is not expensive long term as you can have track time whenever you want. A 40min Kart race with Karts that have a bit more bhp costs me around 60€. I did 6 competetive online races this week, that would mean 360€ worth of Karting. Personally I most enjoy the competition, so it doesn't make a huge diffrence for me if I have it on a real or virtual track in in this regard even a more expensive setup is still justifiable as long as increase the thing you are after immersion, feel whatever.

Upvote 0
Cheers Frederic, I ordered the GT Omega ART rig and I don't even feel any guilt lol!! So in the past month I've purchased the Thrustmaster TX wheel some T500 pedals, The F1 add on and GTE rim, the TH8 Shifter and now the GT rig. ****! its not all paid for if you know what I mean lol, Mr credit is my friend but I know I will get many hours of pleasure from using it. I'm also selling my xbox one and laptop so that will cover some of it. Now I've written it down though it does seem rather a lot of gear :-( hjelp what have I done?????? lol

Upvote 0
My total spendings over the last 9 years.

- Logitech MOMO
- Logitech G25 (still works :D)
- Logitech G29 (still works :cool:) +
-----------------------------------------------
All three newly purchased = Not much

Not much : gazillion hours online = Free.

Sim racing is free :thumbsup:
Hopefully this new stuff for me will last me that long. What is a G29? I know the 27 and 25 but not the 29.

Upvote 0
I really need to stop spending now but when does it end? next I will want the triple screen stand with 3 monitors but no!!! I must resist for at least a year.
Depends I have no problem to resist. 3 monitors is too much hassle for me in my setup and I am so used to single screen racing I have no issue to race close with others using 1 screen. With things like the Oculus Rift coming I want to wait, because with triple screens you are going expensive :D

Upvote 0
Are you guys running your sims with a Commodore 64 you bought at a garage sale or something.:roflmao:
By far the most expensive part of my rig is the computer. I've just talked to my bank about a "next gen" loan. :D

Upvote 0
I am a new guy to this and I shopped and weighed all my options and I even ordered a set of plans from Ricmotech but in the end I spent 3 days cutting welding and riviting a square tube steel rig on wheels and a monitor stand with adjustable arms for 3 27" monitors. It was a lot cheaper but a lot more work. But in the end its exactly what I wanted. The wood richmotech one is really nice and only 100.00 worth of materials maybe but I wanted something I can easily move and I can disassemble it easy and throw it in a car trunk if I had to! LOL

Upvote 0
I feel guilty after spending so much money but when it arrives their is no more guilt:laugh:
If i buy something for 500 the missus thinks its 250 :rolleyes:
I have spent 2900 euro is the last 2 two years on my rig.
Then my pc cost about 800 to build which is two years old and nearly time to upgrade the gpu.
I ordered a momo wheel last week for my wheel and want to upgrade my csw base to the new v2 and a new surround sound.
Thats all for this year :whistling:

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 319 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 221 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 214 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 163 7.9%