how much flex is too much for DD?

I have a GTR Simulator model GTA cockpit. Overall very happy with it, highly recommend for value.
I am using it with a G920, and it performs very well.

However, there is some flex in the rig. Not enough to matter with the G920, it works flawlessly with it, but I can push down on wheelbase platform and get it to flex fairly easily. It will also flex to the side some. It does not move a lot, but it definitely flexes.

I have read enough to know a DD wheel base is going to need to have a stiff platform, but I wonder how stiff it needs to be.

Also, I would think flex in the wheelbase platform would take away some of the fidelity I would hope to gain from a DD drive, the flex absorbing some of the FFB.
Am I thinking of this correctly? Is this the main disadvantage of having flex?

Kind of stuck. Buying a new cockpit strong enough to eliminate flex will be a considerable extra expense to add to the expense of a DD wheelbase. Maybe I should stick with belt, and get the Fanatec Clubsport or CSL?

Of course Fanatec is teasing the new CSL DD, but who knows how far out the release date is, and on top of that, how many units will be available.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks

My personal opinion is that I wouldn´t use that cockpit with a direct drive wheel.
I´m driving a SC2pro on a DIY aliminium rig that consist of triangulated 40 profiles.
The only flexing point in there is very used (roadcar) Recaro seat.
So even when driving the SC with more than 20nm only the rig as a whole shakes, it does not have noticeable flex.

Of course its not necessary to run a DD wheel that high.
But your open frame rig will dampen the finer feedback of the wheel quite a bit.

For a DIY person it would not be a big deal to add crossbracing to your existing rig and get about 80% of the way to an expensive aluminium rig with a investment of about 50€ and a few hours of work.

That´s what i would do as an interim solution when there where no possiblity to upgrade both at the same time.
And assuming that you already have a good loadcell pedalset as it is widely agreed upown that they make the biggest jump in performance.

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.

That is what I was afraid of.

I have upgraded to the Clubsport pedal set. Now wondering if there will be a noticeable difference in road feel with an upgraded wheelbase.

On adding cross bracing, are you thinking of just adding some to the upright that holds the wheelbase plate?

I would like to try making my own rig with extruded aluminum, but have to find out if there is a local supplier. When looking online in the US, by the time I got all the parts, I was just as expensive as buying a good quality pre-made cockpit. Then there is the problem of finding a good strong plate to mount the wheelbase to.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Upvote 0
I bought a playseat around a month ago for use with a CSW v2.5 and CSL elite LC. Not ideal as such but space is limited...

There was a fair bit of flex where the wheel mounts. What I did was I got an aluminium rod and kind of jammed it between the mount where the wheel is and the central lower beam of the whole seat base. Now there is no movement at all. Cost about £5

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ah, I see. That would be pretty simple with this cockpit. It would make entry and exit a little trickier, but save me buying a new rig!

Thanks

Upvote 0
I'm using my CSW 2.5 on a wheelstand V2, which flexes A LOT!
When I'm resting my arms on the wheel, it will move about 1cm towards me and 1cm down. It barely has flex to the sides though and no rotational flex in the axis of the steering rod.
Sometimes the whole wheelstand starts to vibrate and jump around on the floor though. Only 1mm steps, but you can feel it lifting one of the 4 edges sometimes.

But I have to say, it doesn't feel bad or is taking away anything from the massively better driving experience compared to my G27!

My point: if you have flex in the rotating axis of the steering rod, then you have some problem with a stronger wheel.
But if you just have the base wobbling a bit left and right or front to back, then it's no issue really.

Looking at pictures of your rig, I don't see how it could flex in the steering rod axis apart from some play in the connections.

Imagine a flexing rig like wearing slightly dampening earplugs when listening to music. Sure, not as awesome. But better mixed and produced music will still sound a lot better than crappy music.
I'm talking about some music earplugs with a good, overall dampening spectrum.
In this scenario, Ohropax and other soft-foam-earplugs would be like putting the wheelbase on your lap without clamping it :p

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back