How much FFB clipping is allowable?

I have been playing around with the iRacing Clipping Monitor tool and I was wondering how much clipping would be allowable.

With a FFB settings that gives me convincing and detailed feedback about the weight shift of the car and grip of the tires I generally find I am running anywhere between 1 to 4 % clipping.
Setting FFB lower in iRacing feels like I am missing feedback because the effects as a whole are lower, eventhough I can then run with 0 or 0.5 % clipped samples.

An interesting thought is that the clipping only occurs in spikes. The graphs never show flat positive and negative clipped spots, just short peaks of clipping.

Lowering the FFB in the sim will make the amplitude of the graph lower, hence lowering the clipped sample amount, but the mean FFB will be lower as well, which I don't seem to like.

I am running a CSW v2 with the BMW GT2 rim.

So, to recap, would you think peak clipping is ok in order to raise the mean FFB level?

What are your thoughts on this?

That's totally subjective, some people prefer none, some don't mind a little only in the heaviest of turns. I set up my wheel just below clipping or if it does clip its only when it hits a rumble strip or something where the amount of detail lost doesn't matter as much because that's essentially what happens when you get clipping, some detail is lost.

Also, since you mentioned iRacing, are you using linear FFB or non-linear? If you're worried about minor detail loss without pushing the FFB into clipping levels, you might want to run non-linear FFB. Linear works well if you have a very strong wheel that can duplicate very minor FFB and very large FFB well, but if you feel like you're not getting enough minor detail without pushing the FFB slider too much, non-linear is probably better suited to you.

Upvote 0
I like mine to dip into the red a bit. :) It's just my preference. For me, the ffb just becomes much too weak, and you actually miss a lot of the details anyways as a result. I used to run at 40% ffb to minimize clipping, which was silly because I could literally drive around with my pinkie. :) Just use what's most comfortable.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the input, Blkout!
I am going to fiddle around with it some more and I am sure to try non-linear mode too. I'll report back.

Using non-linear output has been described as using that bass boost or loudness button on your car stereo, it helps add a bit of low end boost at lower volume levels where you might normally be losing some of that sound due to road noise, etc. so with a wheel, it adds a bit more impact at lower FFB settings.

Upvote 0
I have tried non-linear, but I don't like it at all.

I have found a decent setup now and find that depending on the car I either want Drift at a higher setting or completely off.

It's great that we have features like this on the wheel so you can fine tune on the fly.
I run the MX5 with about 20 FFB and the Z4 around 15, where I find I feel the Z4 more with Drift 3-4, but then the wheel goes a bit too light. Perhaps is it just a matter of getting used to.

Upvote 0
I have tried non-linear, but I don't like it at all.

I have found a decent setup now and find that depending on the car I either want Drift at a higher setting or completely off.

It's great that we have features like this on the wheel so you can fine tune on the fly.
I run the MX5 with about 20 FFB and the Z4 around 15, where I find I feel the Z4 more with Drift 3-4, but then the wheel goes a bit too light. Perhaps is it just a matter of getting used to.

Worth noting, in iRacing if you use non-linear, you won't use the same FFB strength that you would with linear. If you're going from linear mode, you would divide your current setting by 1.5 or if you're going from non-linear, you would multiply it by 1.5. This formula will usually get you pretty close to the same level of FFB. I find non-linear works just fine with the CSW v2 when set correctly, but linear also works just fine when set correctly, just a very subtle difference between them.

Upvote 0
Ah I see. I didn't know that.
Non-linear just gave me too much of a FFB, but now I know why. Perhaps I'll try again the coming days.
Merry X-Mas!

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 6.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.9%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 164 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 312 27.8%