How much difference does a steering wheel make?

As some of you probably know (or not), I use a controller when racing. Thinking about a wheel for a while, but have never really got one for one reason or another.

The Development Series recently got me thinking, if certain techniques are possible on the wheel and pedals (like heel/toe and trail braking) to make you go faster, which arent possible on the controller..does a wheel make alot of difference to lap times? If there is, is it measurable and by how much? Anyone got experience jumping from a controller to a wheel?

Thanks
:)

Yes Nick, my left foot aches also, it's conditioning your foot to not sit hover the pedal all the time and conciously moving it flat to the ground at every opportunity during a race. I find it is my neck that hurts also from tensing up my arms and shoulders too! Ahh the joys!

You will grow to love that wheel :)

Yes Nick, my left foot aches also, it's conditioning your foot to not sit hover the pedal all the time and conciously moving it flat to the ground at every opportunity during a race. I find it is my neck that hurts also from tensing up my arms and shoulders too! Ahh the joys!

You will grow to love that wheel :)

I know this is sim racing but i was not expecting to get aches from it lol! :wink:

As some of you probably know (or not), I use a controller when racing. Thinking about a wheel for a while, but have never really got one for one reason or another.

The Development Series recently got me thinking, if certain techniques are possible on the wheel and pedals (like heel/toe and trail braking) to make you go faster, which arent possible on the controller..does a wheel make alot of difference to lap times? If there is, is it measurable and by how much? Anyone got experience jumping from a controller to a wheel?

Thanks
:)

I was 3-4 seconds a lap slower with a controller, and could only stay on the track for 3-4 laps without crashing... a wheel is farr better!

I think connsistency is the key in longer races. My bet is that drivers whit wheels are more consistent. I also think you need FFB to know when the tires are going too fall off. Minute chances on your setup can be noticed much earlier. I have got the t500rs to replace my old g25. Thsi made me a bit quiker after a got the feeling for this wheel.
There are more aspects to your setup that can make a difference in your race and quali speed. A proper seat and adjusting the pedals to your own comfort can make you go quiker. Every chance I made to my setup made me faster.

First things i noticed when i got my first real wheel (well, modded Momo, good enough..) was that there is some muscles involved.. After first week my left leg was cramping and my wrists hurt like hell. It took good 2 months to be able to start improving to the level i got with gamepad. Also i modded the wheel accordingly, stiffer springs in the pedals, silicone membrane between cogs etc. But the best mod was the Rest i made for my left foot.. No more leg pain after long events...

No matter what pedals you got, i strongly advice of everyone getting a rest. The bonus benefit is that when my brake pedal is on the floor, i can feel the "floor" as my rest is 3mm lower than the brake pedal max position and aligned. Black duct tape, hot glue and polystyrene..

Also the setups make sense now, plus the benefit of trail braking. At first it feels like a noob all over again, because that's what it really is.. and no more excuses: "I'm driving with joypad, that is why i'm slower.." It was painful at first but now i got to the stage where i've surpassed my joypad skills and get consistently faster lap times, decreased tire wear, longer stints with out spins and drive way closer to the limit. The experience is much more intense, after a good bumber to bumber fight lasting half the race my feet and hands just tremble with adrenaline.. In one race i had to to slow down as my heart was going in overdrive and i could feel the blackkout coming: every brake and turn, i just simply forgot to breathe.. These things didn't happen with a joypad.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 286 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 414 39.8%