How much difference does a steering wheel make?

As some of you probably know (or not), I use a controller when racing. Thinking about a wheel for a while, but have never really got one for one reason or another.

The Development Series recently got me thinking, if certain techniques are possible on the wheel and pedals (like heel/toe and trail braking) to make you go faster, which arent possible on the controller..does a wheel make alot of difference to lap times? If there is, is it measurable and by how much? Anyone got experience jumping from a controller to a wheel?

Thanks
:)

I've had the same thoughts some time ago:
I've driven with Joystick for the first years of my simracing career and it went pretty well. Driving mostly FWD S2000 cars and Minis, my laptimes were competitive and I also managed to win some league races. However, driving GTs or the BMW 320si, I felt that I couldn't improve much with the Joystick.
Thanks to Attila Domjan I managed to get my hand on a Logitech Momo - but the first laps I drove were painfully slow. So the first half year or so, I only occasionally drove with the Momo. It's like, you've practiced a long time and optimized your driving style and then you have to learn it all again. And I didn't have the needed dedication and patience.
I took a break from simracing for a year or so. When I wanted to drive again, I started with offline races, but decided to use the wheel. Times were not important, otherwise I would have been frustrated very quickly. Just step by step, I went faster and I drove online races again. Then I entered some club races here at RD.
Obviously, the world isn't standing still so I found myself a bit more in the back than before. But from the laptimes I was at my old level again. I don't know how to use certain techniques like Heel and Toe, but driving RWD cars is getting easier every time - and faster aswell.

Can it make you faster? - Yes it can, but you need time, dedication and patience.
Do you need a wheel to be a good driver? - No, as long as you don't have to be the very best.
Is it more fun? - Yes, it definately is!

A lot better feeling! You really drive! Especially if you have a G25 or G27, 3 pedals, 900 degrees of turn radius, man I wish I could have that! But mine too is better than nothing! I could do pretty much the same laptimes with keyboard after a little practice (when my first FF EX died), but after 5-6 laps my fingers started to hurt. With a controller I could play Forza 3 at a local competition, it was fun, but it feels better to turn a wheel!

I have seen people that were very fast with a keyboard and with a controller. Could those people be faster with a wheel? The answer all depends on how much practice you put into getting used to the controller and the cars. The setups are going to be different as well due to better control of the throttle and brake.

The short answer is yes, but the long answer is it will take a little time and dedication.

No offence to anyone but i can't see the point of driving SIM-racing games with joystick/keyboard. Has anyone seen a racing car without a steering wheel? The lap times doesn't matter, wheel is needed for the full experience. Don't get me wrong, i've seen people extremely fast with joysticks, and i suppose it goes down to personal preference. But i would always recommend a wheel, in the end, you will be better with it.

the whole idea of using a wheel for driving games is to feel more like your in a car, just like using a flight stick for flight simulation it gives you a more natural feel for what your doing, this of course will reflect in better lap times with less practice with the device.
Sure if you have practiced flat out with a controller it might take a few laps or even a few racces to be back to or better than your previous laps when u change to a wheel but as i said at the start its more to give u the feeling of being in the car it self, that why its call racing simulation!

the G25 is a wheel and pedal set..........

Thanks Eric. I now I have G25 and G27 and more, mentioned because pedals are so good, the wheel alone is not so important as old plactic pedals sucks. You can buy good and cheap DFGT wheel but it has terrible pedals so I think its not for online racing today, thought. Oke some aliens used cheap pedals and can be fast but its everybodys own choise. I cant use plastic pedals after the G25 no way.

how long would it take to adapt your driving style after you have started with a wheel?

Took a few weeks for me

+ an entire new approach on setups because of the pedals

You can set your differental way more aggressive with pedals, because you can control acceleration much better,
that was for me the biggest plus after I finally decided to buy a wheel, even more than the handling itself ;)

About pedals ect.:
I use my plastic pedals that came with my DFGT that I also still use, they still do their work fine.

Mouse and Keyboard supremacy :tongue:

Seriously though get a wheel. You won't get cramp in your left hand from hammering the throttle button in an vain attempt to hold a steady speed round a corner and driving something other than a FWD car will not be a complete and utter nightmare.

I don't know how much difference it would make as far as lap times, but I just couldn't imagine that playing with a keyboard, or even a console controller, would be nearly as much fun.

I played GT5 for a while with the regular PS3 controller and when I finally got a wheel, I found it to be a lot easier because you're able to use your feet. It just feels so much more natural and instinctive when you're using a wheel and pedals.

the whole idea of using a wheel for driving games is to feel more like your in a car, just like using a flight stick for flight simulation it gives you a more natural feel for what your doing, this of course will reflect in better lap times with less practice with the device.

It's all true, but I like to put a bit different spin on it - when using a wheel in simracing good practices "get into your blood". With a gamepad you know how to drive, but the muscular memory might not be there. I don't have the money to run a real racing car, so I when I had a chance to drive a real-real MR sportscar (without any practice behind a real wheel, as it was 2 months after getting my license (officially finally :p)) I was very pleased to see that it was (in my actual words) "EXACTLY like rFactor!", and I could push it a bit (of course in my eyes ;)) instead of just learining how to handle a more powerful car.

Srsly, wheel is just good for you :)

@ james - i dont get cramp in my left hand because i do all the controls with my right hand - except the pit menu

also im setting 1:13s around the new jylandsrigen [i cant spell] and guys who [i assume] have wheels are 1:12 and under - so for short[ish] tracks its not a huge difference and i can probs hit the very low 1:13s or even high 1:12s if i get a very good lap without outbraking myself or braking too soon

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 354 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 497 39.2%