How many of you guys...?

How many of you guys race with manual clutch and the 6 speed sequential shifter? I just tried it out for the first time, and I must say it adds a whole other level of submersion to the sim experience, even if I can't quite lap the car yet. It's made me wonder how many of you guys drive with manual clutch, and are you any fast with it on?

I use the gated shifter sometimes but the manual clutch is a pointless excersise in RACE. Theres no punishment for not doing it right. You can just set the clutch to manual and smash through the gears almost as much as with auto on.

Try nkp or the demo if you don't have it. turn the simple clutch and gear settings off and then try :D

Cars whose transmission is shown as H-pattern in game have no driveline auto-blip (others do, so you get the blip even with autoclutch=off), so you can lose the rear end on a WTCC BMW if you drop from 4th to 2nd. If you don't do this soft of thing, or are not trying to get maximum engine braking, or are a left-foot braker, etc. you may not care.

I drive with manual clutch and I am not fast. There are a hundred other things to fix before that.

I use always manual clutch and with the WTCC 1987 cars and the GTL cars H-shifter.
Also for WTCC BMWs: I'm not quite sure but I think before 2008 they used H-shifter in real life.

Didn't know they had a different pattern in the 1987 cars. Thanks for that bram.

I really like the H-shifter for old cars. I try to improve my heel-n-toe shifting with it and I think I'm faster this way with the old cars.

I see, thanks for the info gents. I noticed something was off when I was using it last night, and that was I didn't break the gearbox. lol cause I was all over the place with my shifts. I thought I set it wrong, but I guess it was the game's fault.

Anyhow, using it for the WTCC 87 sounds fun. Maybe I'll download rfactor and see how it works for that. I think they are doing an old Touring car league on rfactor soon. Does anybody know if the shifter works better in rfactor?

Anyhow, using it for the WTCC 87 sounds fun. Maybe I'll download rfactor and see how it works for that. I think they are doing an old Touring car league on rfactor soon. Does anybody know if the shifter works better in rfactor?

I drive offline in rF quite a lot with the H-shifter and clutch, just to get a feeling for it. I'm still terrible at Heel-and-toeing, and I spend 50% of the time facing the opposite direction to what I'm supposed to be, but it works very well. I have been practicing with the full deal in the Sierra from that mod, at Silverstone, and it is an incredibly believable experience. I find Evo with the clutch very tame compared to rFactor.

i use manual clutch all the time as the car goes fast that way since i dont have the g25/g27 anymore i dont use the h-pattern cuz my wheel
dont have one with the Logitech i used it on cars that had it actualy in game too like the wtcc e90 - e46 or the '87's on the 87's i used the
reversed layout like Bram 1st down left 2nd up left 3rd down middle 4th up middle 5th again down right

Our group usually disables auto clutch in game.Iv been "self blipping" the throttle for 15 years and quite frankly don't trust auto blip.When a drivers spins or crashes he had better get his foot on the clutch(or thumb on clutch button)or risk stalling the engine.Just like on TV.

We have a friend with only 1 working hand so when he wants to race with us we allow auto clutch and transmission.He still complains about the forced cockpit view tho ;).

That is awesome! Racing with 1 hand, talk about passion!!! And I love the forced conditions. Where do you race man?

Our group usually disables auto clutch in game.Iv been "self blipping" the throttle for 15 years and quite frankly don't trust auto blip.When a drivers spins or crashes he had better get his foot on the clutch(or thumb on clutch button)or risk stalling the engine.Just like on TV.

We have a friend with only 1 working hand so when he wants to race with us we allow auto clutch and transmission.He still complains about the forced cockpit view tho ;).

I see, thanks for the info gents. I noticed something was off when I was using it last night, and that was I didn't break the gearbox. lol cause I was all over the place with my shifts. I thought I set it wrong, but I guess it was the game's fault.

rFactor has the same gearbox modelling as the Simbin titles - its essentially the same physics engine. The ISI engine predates the G25, so when it was developed hardly anyone had a clutch pedal. Combine that with most modern racing cars only needing the clutch to start and not to change gear and you can understand why the gearbox isn't fully modelled.

Yes, that's the one, Ryan! Brilliant video there. I'm going by Gamestop on the way home to pick up Splinter Cell, I'm also going to check and see if they have rFactor on the cheap. :)

Oh, and sorry if this goes off topic a bit (even though, technically, I made the topic lol) but are you guys seriously planning on having 40 cars on the track at once, Ryan? That's insane!!!! Coming from Forza's 8, I'm still in awe of driving against 16 opponents. lol

I use always manual clutch and with the WTCC 1987 cars and the GTL cars H-shifter.
Also for WTCC BMWs: I'm not quite sure but I think before 2008 they used H-shifter in real life.

Didn't know they had a different pattern in the 1987 cars. Thanks for that bram.

I really like the H-shifter for old cars. I try to improve my heel-n-toe shifting with it and I think I'm faster this way with the old cars.

The Euro Spec E30 M3 had a "dogleg" transmission vs. the overdrive 5 speed in the USA at that time. It was changed in the US version for Fuel Economy standards and the rear end ratio was dropped to 4:10 from the 3:25 euro model since the dogleg was not geared for a "highway cruise" 5th gear.

And you guys all got the cool models as well. Cecotto and SPORT EVO!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 156 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 298 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 424 39.6%