How many monitors do you use to race?

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Polly time!

We are discussing an interesting issue in the Assetto Corsa forums about triple screens. This raised the question what average RD members use so please take a second to vote on the poll :)

Why 3 mini screens? There's no need for 3 screens, there's one for each eye which covers almost all of that eyes peripheral vision (total 110 degrees,
You would need to put them 1cm from the eye to cover of that much of the peripheral :)
Unless they are bent.
One 180 degree screen would be best option. So your fully immersed in the gaming.

Problem is it needs support from the game devs, which means it will be a nogo for older games like rF, Race07 etc etc.
Why? it´s just screens with a set resolution, hdmi or min display port or whatever and you are good to go.

Upvote 0
Why? it´s just screens with a set resolution, hdmi or min display port or whatever and you are good to go.

No sadly it isn't, it won't even display your desktop or any apps as it is at the moment, it needs application specific support (watch the vid and read the info on the kick starter page). ATM the only thing you can play on it is Doom 3 BFG Ed which has been specifically made to work with it. It's still being developed though so who knows what the consumer version will bring.

Upvote 0
No sadly it isn't, it won't even display your desktop or any apps as it is at the moment, it needs application specific support (watch the vid and read the info on the kick starter page). ATM the only thing you can play on it is Doom 3 BFG Ed which has been specifically made to work with it. It's still being developed though so who knows what the consumer version will bring.
I wasn´t locking myself into that one, that one is already outdated with it´s screen res.

All you would need is to get a manufacturer to build small screens with the resolution of 1920x1080 and a ppi of 300 or more.
It would be identical to a computer screen just in a much much smaller size.

Upvote 0
The problem is believability from the headset as well as motion sensors.

First off, the approach of the occulas headset is the same approach as any other in terms of screen placement and such. In order to make believable VR, you first need to have enough wrap around to allow you to get most or all of your peripheral vision involved, as this will give you spatial awareness as well as help you determine depth. Second you need approximately 50 degrees of overlap between the screens as this is about what the normal persons vision is capable of. Again this will help with believability as it will add depth to the image.

As far as the resolution, I have not tested nor am I anywhere near financially capable of testing, but from what I have read, the need for full HD for the displays isn't really there as they can make things look pretty good on the lower res screens. The reason is because of how close they are to the eyes.

The problem I can foresee about all this is how well these will work for people that require glasses. Some are near sighted and some are far sighted and others just need glasses for reading. How will this effect the persons ability to get a clear image from a VR headset?

The only solution that I can think of would be to have custom ground lenses made that are placed ahead of the screens and this would be rather expensive to make.

Upvote 0
OLED screen would be perfect. Make it cover 180 degrees and one single unit :)
Expensive as hell probably but also extremely light.

flexible_organic_el_display.jpg

Roll-Up-OLED-Sony-Screen-1.jpg

sony-flex-oled-1.jpg

Upvote 0
What do you mean with a single unit?
The Rift is a single unit. If you where talking about the screens inside I think you have misunderstood what this device is and should check the vids, because what they are doing with this unit (full on 3D) is not possible with a single screen, it needs two. Else you'd get the shabby looking 3D we have on tvs etc.
The reason that this particular device has my interest is that the big boys in game development support it, so no matter what other manufacturers one up with they will be far far behind and will prob never catch up to the Rift because games are already supporting it. It's like trying to sell a new disc based storage for movies when the industry already has got behind Blueray.

Upvote 0
I don´t know why you still persist i´m still talking about that product...
I´m solely discussing what i would do, not what that company has done.

They use a FOV of 110/90 degrees. Two screens.
I would use only one screen with the resolution of 5760x1080 OLED and bent so it covers your whole field of view instead.

Upvote 0
The problem i think with those headset screens is that you can only see the screen and nothing else and if your on a steering wheel your not going to be able to find the buttons and for other games using a keyboard and mouse you are even more frazzled, the most i think you should have on your head is a headset for audio imo.
Also having your eyes and ears covered up by a big headset which is going to be heavy and even if you made it of carbon fiber its still going to need a lot of padding to be comfortable and all having that stuff on is going to do is make you extreemly hot, i know simply wearing a headset gets me hot enough and i need a fan to be just about bareable

Upvote 0
The problem i think with those headset screens is that you can only see the screen and nothing else and if your on a steering wheel your not going to be able to find the buttons and for other games using a keyboard and mouse you are even more frazzled
Yeah I thought about that last night as well, not seeing the wheel sounds bad to me. I'd have no issues with not seeing my mouse and keyboard while playing a FPS or MMO though, I never look at them anyways.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back