How many hours/day do you drive?

M

Mika Pyhäjärvi

• Mika Pyhäjärvi

Hi! I´m new to racing sims(owned GTRe for 2 weeks now) and Im wonderin how much I should practice. I have wife and daughter so I cant play so much than I want. I really want to go online but my lap times are far away from top times so I NEED practice!! Now Im driwing WTCC season at PRO and 90% difficulty. I´ve drove Curitiba and Zandvoort and easy win from both. I know real opponents gonna be much harder...

Hehe i have exacly the same situation , a wife and a daughter.
I am now driving Online on with Rfactor , but i intend to bcome a member of RD now. i just became a member a couple of minutes ago :).
Off cource you need practice , but also read about techniques. I learned i can improve laptime by reading about braking, steering and Accelerating techniques. Also setups , how do you make those , that kind a thing.

Hope you improve you laptimes soon , and i hope to get access to the servers soon.

Welcome to RaceDepartment guys :)

Same situation here, family business.
I drive normally only 2 nights a week (sometimes an extra night).

For us as RaceDepartment it does not matter how fast you are. Only thing that matters is driving fair and having fun.

Hope to see you on track with us soon!

Welcome to RaceDepartment guys :)
For us as RaceDepartment it does not matter how fast you are. Only thing that matters is driving fair and having fun.
quote]

I'm looking forward to get to drive with all of you guys, it seems like most of you do take this fair driving serious. This I like alot it seems that when I'm playing on open servers there is always someone that pushes me of intentionally even though I'm right up the back of the car infront. (I'm not always the slowest one:rolleyes:)

i am very very for fair driving, it happend to me to often that i was in a good position in a race , and some nooob comes driving in wrong direction , or what happened to me not long ago , that a guy (or girl for that matter) terrorized a server by parking the car in the middle of corners all the time ...

I cannot understand the fun they get out of it ...

... heh heh ... I was thinking the other night that we should maybe have a poll with this same question :wink:

Likewise, I have a wife, 3.5 yr old and 1.5 yr old, and there just are not enough hours in the day for driving ... at least not when I have any mental energy or reactions left :rolleyes:

Lately I have been a bit excessive trying to improve and catch up a bit to the front guys (usually driving late at night or early hours of the morning) ... but I would say "normally" I manage a couple of hours, ~3 times per week.

Maybe we should start a "parents of young kids only league" then we dads (& mums?) might feel a bit more competitive :D

• Mika Pyhäjärvi

Thank god I`m not alone! =)
I´m trying for >6h / week. I agree that driving fair and having fun are VERY important things!

I probably play for about 5/6 hours a week, depending really on what I am doing but I tend to race offline a lot of the time as I share the computer with my 2 brothers (they have their own laptops but they tend to use my computer to play games), so quite often I can't always be on at the time of online races and also my connection is quite slow so I can't race online whilst other people are using the internet in the evenings.

I don't have a wife or kids so I don't have as many commitments as most people do so I am able to spend a lot of time racing offline. I think with the winter coming up as well, I'll probably spend more time on RACE 07 as the weather gets colder and darker.

I really want to go online but my lap times are far away from top times so I NEED practice!!

I wouldn't worry about that too much Mika. If you're looking at the Hotlaps records, most of them are qualifying laps, and the setups used to set them would probably eat the tyres and be too twitchy for use in a race on a crowded track.

A more reasonable target would be consistently 3-4 seconds off the hotlap pace while retaining full control and manoeuverability, IMO.

I initally thought the same as you, but after talking to a few people, they confirmed my theory above.

• Edward Leake

Being busy at work I rarely get time to practise so I turn up to an event 'cold'.

When I used to play a little offline I ran 105% AI but still found it a bit boring and sometimes easy.

Personally I don't think you can beat organised online events such as those here at RD! :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 282 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 410 39.9%