How is the AI behaviour?

I think those of us who won't play offline really, would like to know this: How is the AI behaviour in this game, compared to rFactor?

Do they still ignore you - pretending that you're not there?

Will be interesting to know.

So far while I really like the game overall, I am underwhelmed by the AI. One of the things I most dislike about AIs is that they behave unrealistically during a race by hitting the player's car in ways real drivers would not as they would risk the integrity of their own car.

I had high hopes that in rF2 they had solved that because it was part of their pitch for the new game, but on my first couple of Megane races the AIs pushed me offroad unmercifully. In some cases they acted like I wasn;t on the track at all.

Possibly, this is due to the beta status. I hope so. Otherwise, I didn't see any differences between this AI and the default rFactor.

First off, thanks for the info.

That is really disappointing - improved AI for me would have been the only reason for me to buy it. Would be interesting to see if it improves in future versions.

But with rFactor and the wealth of mods I currently have on that, I'm willing to stay with it for now, until the AI drastically improves.

Please remember that this is a beta and is meant for testing purposes, this is not the final product. In my opinion it is far too early to be picking fault with the AI.

Indeed it is too early and I even vaguely recall that ISI mentioned the AI is not fully cooked yet. In their pre-release announcements they mentioned that the new AI was going to (I paraphrase) "behave like a real driver, battle you for the corner without hitting your car....."

That's certainly not what I saw last night. But I did mention in my post that being a beta I reserve my judgement on the topic. The only reason I mentioned it at all is because I wasn't sure if the OP wanted to know that information for the beta period or for rF2 overall.

If he wanted to buy the beta because I had heard that the new AI kicks ass, I figured I'd let him know that for now that's not the case.

Generally speaking, I really hope that one day, someone is going to produce an AI that behaves more like a human driver would. I would be happy with just an AI that didn't run me off the road every chance it got, even if it had to err on the side of caution.

Even though it is a beta, as you mention, this is no guarantee that the AI will ever be better than it currently is.

Nor is there a guarantee that it wont. And that's the whole point... the sim we are driving is not the final product, so while we can get an idea of what to expect, we cannot make final judgements. rFactor 2 could possibly have the best AI ever seen in a sim, but until the full and final release we will not know one way or the other.

Nor is there a guarantee that it wont. And that's the whole point... the sim we are driving is not the final product, so while we can get an idea of what to expect, we cannot make final judgements. rFactor 2 could possibly have the best AI ever seen in a sim, but until the full and final release we will not know one way or the other.

Just saying, we haven't had any proof that the AI will be any better than rFactor 1 - other than ISI saying so.

Like with F1 2011, where the AI 'were going to have 6 brains' etc., and look how that turned out.

All I'm saying is that if it's like this in the Beta, don't get your hopes up, because I won't get mine up, because the 'final product' will most probably not be THAT much better.

Obviously, I hope I'm wrong on that last part. But until proven otherwise, I won't be buying it, as the AI is the single most important part of this game for my requirements.

I think it may also be worth remembering that the AI in rF1 right now is better than it was on day 1. That was improved with game updates.

I've been driving the classic GP cars at Spa a bit, and while I found the aggression was ridiculous at the default 25%~ (couldn't even get past turn 1), it does seem more civilized as you turn it down. And of course, in these kinds of cars, the drivers were typically very conservative. As with little margin for error, you wouldn't attempt an overtake unless you were certain you'd survive the maneuver.

Has anyone else had any luck with this parameter?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back