How good must you be to race in a league?

Connor Caple

Slowest Racer in Town...
I've been playing mainly on Forza/Race Pro on 360 in the past and get tired of all the guys who just smash you off the track all the time so I bought a PC Wheel and GTR Evo. It's very similar to Race Pro so I don't feel like a fish out of water.

I race in a couple of 360 leagues, but the 8-cars in a race limitation in Forza means I spend a lot of time chasing a car in the distance as everyone's been at this longer than me. *coughs*:tremble:

I was hoping to find a PC league somewhere that caters to 'beginners' and wondered what kind of lap times I'd have to be capable of on GTR Evo before it was worth me considering joining a league?

Maybe, in fact, there is one that caters for slower drivers who just want a fair race with no t-boning in the corners and 20+ cars in the race?

Any advice appreciated - but please type slowly as I'm getting old now and can't see as well... :snail:

You can be the slowest guy in the history of sim-racing and still enter a league. Speed isnt the most important thing on Racedepartment, its fairness and friendlyness that really counts. Most leagues (if not all) have the mix between the aliens, the average people and the newbies who are just getting to grips with the game. Either way, you are guaranteed a fair and fun fight anywhere in the field.

I'll add something here too.

YOu can join ANY club race too! We club race on Friday nights US time and have a regular 20+ cars. Now in fairness most of these guys have raced in the innaugural ATCC but you are welcome all the same! We had guys who are 3-4 seconds a lap slower than the top 5 but they get a fair chance to race and have fun!

Make sure you check out the RACE ON forum under the CLUB RACING section of the main forum page. There's always som eevent going on each day practically if the Euro Time zone is suitable to you too.

Club events is a GREAT WAY to get your feet wet before you committ to a LEAGUE and the time investment typically required there.

Race dept forums / PC/ Club racing/ Race ON my man will get you started.

Welcome and hope to see you on track soon!

Start off joining some of the club races to get your feet wet. Don't worry too much at first that you may be running with most of the folks off in the distance. I did a ton of online racing years ago in Grand Prix Legends and only recently got back in the game with GTR Evo. In the first handful of events, my goal was to finish races by staying out of trouble and on the track. Generally I found myself getting lapped before the end. But by hanging in there and working on re-building my skillsm I now generally run mid-pack. If you can keep your car on the track, you will end up passing a good many drivers who can't seem to say on track. Eventually you will find your stride and will find that there are other drivers of similar skills that you will battle with race after race.

As Eric mentioned, you might want to check out the S2000 club races (though you will need to at least get the STCC add-on package if you only have GTR Evo). The WTCC/STCC cars are fun and fairly easy to race consistently with. They also make for close racing. I started here in RD with the Mini-Cooper club races and then did a few Caterham races. I find the WTCC/STCC cars just the ticket for fun close racing.

Plans are a foot for a second ATCC League season. We are hoping to find enough interested drivers to have 2 divisions. If this happens, we should have divisions that have more evenly matched drivers.

I have now put in an application to race here so, assuming I actually did it right, I should be able to join some of you later this week.

Thank you for the replies.

We'll see you in practice, chat and maybe on teamspeak then Connor!

As soon as I figure out where the TS server is, I'll be on there pestering people *grins* I'm going to concentrate on GTR Evo this week to try to learn how to do the pitstops/etc. so I don't mess up in a race, then I'll see about entering an event.

Unfortunately, my wheel only has 4 buttons plus shift levers, so I'll need to set up my N52 for all the extra keys I need.

Pit lane limiter goes on the wheel though - not missing that one! :dance2:

Lots of good advice here Connor, and I agree about the RD Racing Club, it is designed exactly to allow new drivers to "settle in". Just pick events that you will enjoy, join in, and you'll get heaps of help. You will also find that you will improve greatly as you get some experience. The most important thing is to keep it clean and stay on track, you will be amazed how many people you can pass just by keeping under control.

Oh, and don't worry about the age thing, I have heaps more years on you, I'm almost ancient and even I can often keep up with the average guys here. :yo:

You can connect to the RD Teamspeak server by using the connect button on the RD Frontpage. Just scroll down a bit and click connect, it'll ask you for a nickname and then it'll fire up TS for you.

I can't add to anything that's already been said in regards to joining club races or leagues here at RD.

Richard you forgot the passwprd for Teamspeak.

I won't just give it out here but wondering where he can find it? Been so long for me that it just escapes me where I got it from. Used to be the same as the club race password but thats changed a couple of times yet the TS one remains the same.

And BTW Connor, that Dawes fellow might be understating his speed a bit.........tricky old dog he is ya know!:clap:

You can connect to the RD Teamspeak server by using the connect button on the RD Frontpage. Just scroll down a bit and click connect, it'll ask you for a nickname and then it'll fire up TS for you.

I can't add to anything that's already been said in regards to joining club races or leagues here at RD.

Thank you - managed to get that working, so hopefully get to chat to some of you this week now :good:

As soon as I figure out where the TS server is, I'll be on there pestering people *grins* I'm going to concentrate on GTR Evo this week to try to learn how to do the pitstops/etc. so I don't mess up in a race, then I'll see about entering an event.

Unfortunately, my wheel only has 4 buttons plus shift levers, so I'll need to set up my N52 for all the extra keys I need.

Connor:

You'll find that you don't need to manually operate the pit limiter. in almost (probably all) it comes on automatically when you hit the white line at entry and goes off when you hit the white line at exit.

You'll still have to moderate your speed so that you're doing the right speed by the time that you hit the white line other wise you'll get a stop go.

But once in the pit lane and you've got no chance of speeding.

Use the wheel buttons for something else.

You will absolutely love the Formula Masters, I guarantee that. I'm itching for some sort of RD announcement about a league with these cars, that will be so much fun. I'm even thinking of organising a Formula Friday for the guys I race with on a different forum which may follow the 2010 F1 calendar and use Paul Metcalfe's brilliant F1 replica IFM skins.

Downloading Race ON and STCC this afternoon, so I'll have more choices of races to join. :car:

WTCC cars and Mini are the best way to start. With those cars you learn fast how to race with a 25 grid close to eachother and the cars are quite easy to drive.

Tommorrow we have a WTCC race at Monza only the grid is full but some people will drop out, so if you put your name on the reserve list there is a change that you get a spot. :)

http://forum.racedepartment.com/racing-clubs/26678-wtcc-08-monza-08-tue-december-8th-2009-a.html

Actually, you shouldn't "need" the pit limiter button on your wheel. When you enter the pits, it comes on automatically and turns off automatically as you leave pit lane. The only time you would need to manually turn it on is if you want it active during practice (when you are just leaving the garage and going out to the track).

<snip>

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.5%