DiRT Rally How good is Dirt Rally?

I'm someone who doesn't relax easily. My relaxation is being immersed in something where I do not think about anything.

I have found Dirt Rally. What a sim it is.

Ayrton Senna said when he raced Monaco his mind would adapt to Monaco like a deep, dark tunnel. I get that here. Listening to co-driver, moving weight of car from corner to corner, sheer bliss.

Dirt Rally is extraordinary, I love it more than words,

Dirt Rally is just nice! The ffb isn't the best, it feels a bit strange and even wrong from time to time.
The physics are at a level where you really get the impression to drive the real thing (never did rally driving in real life though!).
So users of I think it was simxperience (accuforce) are stating that their ffb, which gets generated directly from the physics output is just absolutely amazing.

Also there's a guys who moded the ffb. I got the "silent" one for my rattling g27 and it's just a blast.

Richard burns rally might be more real, other rally games might have a better "story" or details but dirt Rally for me is the best.
You get on track and you have a total blast. Every time, period!

So yeah, go get it and just have fun :)

Dirt Rally is by a long way the best sim I have played on PC for off road racing.

It is very hard, and very tricky to get right. Ignore the FFB stuff, I had no issues at all on my G25, it feels different yes, but you quickly get used to it, I never needed any mods and was usually top 50 or so in mst events after learning the tracks.

Ignore rallycross, it's pretty much pointless, and Pikes peak is only fun a few times.

But, learn the stages of each country, they all offer very unique challenges.

I guarantee you will not find better out the box rwd physics in any game you have played, you can steer a Mk2 or Manta on the throttle easily. The 4wd cars are a bit samey, but they are very fast.

Learn your notes, learn small bits of each stage and keep on practicing, the stages are written to have faults in them and wrong notes, they will catch you out routinely, just learn them.

And don't buy Dirt 4, it is not a patch on this

Dirt Rally is just nice! The ffb isn't the best, it feels a bit strange and even wrong from time to time.
The physics are at a level where you really get the impression to drive the real thing (never did rally driving in real life though!).
So users of I think it was simxperience (accuforce) are stating that their ffb, which gets generated directly from the physics output is just absolutely amazing.

Also there's a guys who moded the ffb. I got the "silent" one for my rattling g27 and it's just a blast.

Richard burns rally might be more real, other rally games might have a better "story" or details but dirt Rally for me is the best.
You get on track and you have a total blast. Every time, period!

So yeah, go get it and just have fun :)
" Also there's a guys who moded the ffb. I got the "silent" one for my rattling g27 ". Please elaborate on this

Richard burns rally might be more real

Regarding this, I am not sure it is. After all the years of modding, it probably is. But the stock content have it's weird moments in many situations.
However, as a person who does not have a drivers license, but do have a karting-license and national bilcross(low-level RX) license. I found it interesting how real life and RBR worked quite similar to what I experienced in RX. While in DiRT Rally I had to slightly force it to happen the way I wanted and expected.

Then again, the low-level RX is, well, low-level, and I expect the modern rally cars, and the historic cars with modern tyres, to grip better, and slide less than what I've been driving.

All in all i feel both games did shortcuts in different aspects of the game, and thus they are both great and poor in different areas.

" Also there's a guys who moded the ffb. I got the "silent" one for my rattling g27 ". Please elaborate on this
Here is the link to the mod I use. But I found his settings absolutely strange so I'll post Screenshots of my configuration :)
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/racked-custom-ffb.8731/

Sorry for everything in German:

Profiler: beware that a change of the rotation degrees compresses the FFB more or less. Less Degrees - > stronger FFB, more Degrees -> weaker FFB. At 900° you would need about 125% global FFB in the profiler!
DirtRally_ProfilerSettings.JPG

Wheel-Options:
DirtRally_WheelOptions.JPG

FFB-Settings: (wheel weight, the 2nd slider with 60% is difficult. 90% feel nice but the wheel can't rotate fast enough for quick drifts and catches. I change it all the time... Sometimes even down to 1%)
DirtRally_FFB_Settings.JPG

Here is the link to the mod I use. But I found his settings absolutely strange so I'll post Screenshots of my configuration :)
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/racked-custom-ffb.8731/

Sorry for everything in German:

Profiler: beware that a change of the rotation degrees compresses the FFB more or less. Less Degrees - > stronger FFB, more Degrees -> weaker FFB. At 900° you would need about 125% global FFB in the profiler!
View attachment 217041

Wheel-Options:
View attachment 217042

FFB-Settings: (wheel weight, the 2nd slider with 60% is difficult. 90% feel nice but the wheel can't rotate fast enough for quick drifts and catches. I change it all the time... Sometimes even down to 1%)
View attachment 217040
Hi. Thanks for posting this.
You have just made Dirt Rally so much better, faster times and control, FFB, 10x better than what I had, only change was SAT set to 90%.
Have also applied same settings to Dirt 4, with SAT set at 85%. Has made this game a lot better, but still room for improvement.
Thanks for your hard work and commitment to these games.
I also use your LUT settings for AC. very nice!
For the rest of you guys, I would try RasmusP's settings, they work really well for me and my G27.
Thanks again.

Hi. Thanks for posting this.
You have just made Dirt Rally so much better, faster times and control, FFB, 10x better than what I had, only change was SAT set to 90%.
Have also applied same settings to Dirt 4, with SAT set at 85%. Has made this game a lot better, but still room for improvement.
Thanks for your hard work and commitment to these games.
I also use your LUT settings for AC. very nice!
For the rest of you guys, I would try RasmusP's settings, they work really well for me and my G27.
Thanks again.
Thanks man! Always happy to help :)

Yeah I just tested each setting separately (all others still at at least 10%, otherwise strange things happen) and I found that Self Aligning Torque just pulls the wheel in strange directions that are not real for my hands...

Tyre friction? The one I have at 130% on the other hand provides "the real thing" in my opinion but it has the problem that it goes to ZERO when going straight... Makes sense but not a good solution.

So in the end I would like Codies to mix a bit of self aligning torque into the tyre friction, which I tried but it still feels a bit strange, but at least correct while cornering :cautious::roflmao:

I think that's why the guys with their direct drive software are stating that it's a complete other world with it. The car behavior seems so realistic in Dirt Rally, but the SAT just pulls in strange directions :O_o:

Have this on xbox one and loved it to bits, its just gone on steam for £7.99 so i have got it for my PC now as well, kinda know what to expect having had xbox version but for £7.99 its a steal!
RBR is along same lines as the GPL where they seem to make it harder than real life just to make the game about controlling the car... in real life its about being faster than someone else, not just simply "can i drive around a corner".
Rally cars are purpose built to rally or RX, as such they have benefits which allow them to do stuff on mud gravel snow that could seem impossible to people with little understanding, so when it gets replicated in a game some people think its 'dumbed down' physics...for example modern rally cars have aero that can keep the car stable in a corner when its in a slide, so you can get those long drifts of Opp lock, the aero is aiding that in real life...replicate it in a game ad its "simcade"..
Anyway, loved DiRT on xbox and glad i could pick it up cheap for PC.

thanks for the tip, ive just added it to my collection, 23 gig of stuff,,, holy cow its massive,,,, :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
Well that was a surprise, i thought it was going to be forza or the other one on pc. but in a moment of madness /genius i bought this, i think the price had a deciding factor also.:redface:.. but id say well worth the asking price.:D..
and looks like hours of fun driving in well lets just say not my comfort zone...:)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back