How does a league work?

Hello everybody!

Sorry, i guess for most of you this question is stupid but since i am quite new to sim-racing i really don´t know...

Do i have to join a team to join a league?
Do i have to join every race in that league?

Thank you very much!

Hi Christoph,

Do I have to join a team to join a league?
Well, it depends on the league. I'd say most leagues use a team format, but some don't.

Do i have to join every race in that league?
It may vary with leagues from other websites, but here at Racedepartment when you sign up to a league, you are expected to attend every race. Exemptions will only be made in the case of emergencies. Not that sim-racing should become more important than your real life, because in no way should that be the case, but when you sign up, you do so knowing that you are committed to the league.

League racing is not like club events, where you can simply pull out if you don't feel like racing. It's taken much more seriously as you'll be competing against some of the best drivers at RD. Failure to attend any race without a legitimate excuse will result in expulsion from the league.

Only sign up to a league if you are 100% sure that you can participate in every race under normal circumstances.

Last edited:
OK, that´s what i thought :redface: Then this is not my format i fear... I guess there is a race every week?

Do you think (or know from experience) that Club races will be abandoned once leagues are running?

That's fine, league racing doesn't always suit everyone :)
And no, club events won't be abandoned once leagues come into effect for Assetto Corsa, this is because the majority of people can't actually meet the requirements of league racing, mainly due to work and other life commitments, and that's perfectly understandable, so the clubs are there to provide a more casual enjoyment for people with less time to spend on League racing.

Some league racing I have done are weekly or bi-weekly or even once a month with lets say 8 races in the series where it is the best of 6 that count; this gives you either drop your worst result or you are allowed to miss the maximum of 2 races. This gives a bit of flexibility. I have also participated in endurance series over several months where teams are really important and drivers can can change within the team for each race just like the real endurance teams. but if you want to be the top driver its best to attend all

Yes, you´re right :D On the other hand kids are unpredictable :thumbsdown: I once had to abort a race because suddenly both my kids started to cry out of sleep and my wife was overstrained and came ranting at me :devilish:
But of course it´s a matter of setting priorities. I read here from a guy that he was driving so bad because he was distracted by his wife who was phoning with here mother who was about to die!!
Sorry but i wouldn´t even think of even signing up to a race in such conditions :O_o:

I read here from a guy that he was driving so bad because he was distracted by his wife who was phoning with here mother who was about to die!!
Obviously these things are considered emergencies, and of course you'll be allowed to miss the race.

The organisers are human, and we know that things in life pop up that are way more important than driving a virtual car around a virtual track, so if/when things like that come up, of course you'll be exempt from penalty.

The main reasons that Leagues are so strict with attendance is:
  1. The league organisers put in a lot of their own free time to get the logistics of such an operation to work properly and problem free.
  2. Leagues are taken far more seriously than club events, as a lot more is at stake.

I fully understand that! I am already very thankful for the work you put in the clubs (which is also quite a bit imo) :notworthy:
For me the "at stake" argument is not that valid because i think it will take me a lot of months (or years or if ever :laugh:) to be considered "fast" not speaking from to be able to win a race.:rolleyes: But maybe if i would concentrate on really one car.... who knows ;)
There are no prices to win, or am i wrong?

You are only considered fast if you have a sower driver to beat. with that in mind if all the slower drivers did not compete then there would not be any fast drivers.
The more participants the better chance we can have multi servers for an event, the better the competition across the board. One can have a really great race at the back of the field as long as someone is there and your skills will get better

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 80 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 58 9.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 65 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 38 6.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 91 14.4%