How do you rate RF'2 gameplay/physics?

Funny no one has considered the real road effect. The lap times are getting quicker because of the rubber build up. More rubber, More grip. The more cars that are on track again more rubber. Times come down quicker. Offline with no AI it takes longer to build it up. Thus better times on servers because more rubber on the road. True tyre temps seam to drop off to quickly on these cars but that's just more testing and tweaking on the tyre TBC files. rF2 now has a extra file for tyre TGM which is yet to be explained. Sure there's a long way to go but the potential is there that's for sure.

Was in a Megane server today, sat there did my personal best time of a mid 1.3 at Sepang and was 7th! Leader was doing mid 1.01 which means he is doing things I cant do. these guys are able to take considerable liberties in their laps that if I do I spin or lose grip. Is it setup? Is it wheel settings? I know is not trackcracft coz I ahve done hundreds of laps there and know the route to a quickie, but 2 damn seconds is simply unbelieveable on such a short lap?

I believe it is ONLY because this game engine suits only ONE way of driving. It is how some guys can be super fast in Meganes and super fast in Renault. Maybe it is a slick tyre thing I am not sure.

It is like Race 07, if you raced there early doors the quickest guys were ALWAYS usually in BMW's, and I could never drive them quickly, was always seconds slower than with fwd, and I believe the same is true in some of the cars in this Beta. I am not sure what style it does suit but I can't drive tail happy, I like loads of front grip, and Meganes and Renault have poor front grip?

60's cars have far superior FFB and you can feel them better which is weird as they have less grip!

To sum up, the slick tyres seem to suit a certain sort of driving style. If you cant drive like that you will be seconds slower than a lot of alien freaks. And you won't have a clue why. in the 60's cars which ahould and mayeb are harder to drive you just need time. I feel able to lap better in them, be closer to the nutters and can actually see what they are doing that makes them quicker. Its just seat time and ability.

I don't feel that in the modern cars, I feel like some of these guys are exploiting something I cant see or feel.

Now this is the essence of Beta, but it is is incredibly frustrating. As for online racing, so far a total waste of time, the collision detection is appalling, I come off worse every time there is one even if its in good nature. So maybe just a crap few days.

There is hope. :)
ISI said when the full tyre physics are implemented usual driving over the limit to get the fastest time is gone.
They said its best to get used to smoother driving now as you will need to do that when the physics are done. :)

Rob: Would it be possible those guy's are using TC on? I haven't tried it myself but the Megan at least I've heard are super fast with it.Even if it was low it could be enough to make up the difference. Cause there is the RAM cheats out there?? Why you would bother with it I have no idea. What those people think their achieving is beyond me.

Thats an interesting point Ivo.

It does seem that some guys are able to do the seemingly impossible! And this from an experienced gamer who has done well in Iracing (though only on a free month, but I went up two grades which was cool) and felt in that particular environment where settings were limited there was no advanatage in quirky setups. I realise that title is a complete package, but I do feel the 60's car feels very similar, and seem to be where ISI have put most of ther work. You can really feel the tyre beginning to work and feel it lose grip and stuff. I dont get that in the click shod cars at all.

I might try the rtrainer, always loved that little car in the original game.

Is there a simple install for it?

Was in a Megane server today, sat there did my personal best time of a mid 1.3 at Sepang and was 7th! Leader was doing mid 1.01 which means he is doing things I cant do. these guys are able to take considerable liberties in their laps that if I do I spin or lose grip. Is it setup? Is it wheel settings? I know is not trackcracft coz I ahve done hundreds of laps there and know the route to a quickie, but 2 damn seconds is simply unbelieveable on such a short lap?

I believe it is ONLY because this game engine suits only ONE way of driving. It is how some guys can be super fast in Meganes and super fast in Renault. Maybe it is a slick tyre thing I am not sure.

It is like Race 07, if you raced there early doors the quickest guys were ALWAYS usually in BMW's, and I could never drive them quickly, was always seconds slower than with fwd, and I believe the same is true in some of the cars in this Beta. I am not sure what style it does suit but I can't drive tail happy, I like loads of front grip, and Meganes and Renault have poor front grip?

60's cars have far superior FFB and you can feel them better which is weird as they have less grip!

To sum up, the slick tyres seem to suit a certain sort of driving style. If you cant drive like that you will be seconds slower than a lot of alien freaks. And you won't have a clue why. in the 60's cars which ahould and mayeb are harder to drive you just need time. I feel able to lap better in them, be closer to the nutters and can actually see what they are doing that makes them quicker. Its just seat time and ability.

I don't feel that in the modern cars, I feel like some of these guys are exploiting something I cant see or feel.

Now this is the essence of Beta, but it is is incredibly frustrating. As for online racing, so far a total waste of time, the collision detection is appalling, I come off worse every time there is one even if its in good nature. So maybe just a crap few days.

I've done Low 1.02s and High 1.01s so its not impossible to do. Jack Kiethley could even back me up on it since hes seen me do it.

Well then you can obviously drive that car in a way most people cant, as I have only seen 2 guys so far driving at those speeds. I have no clue how you do it, and can only think you either use a tricky setup that makes the car very unstable (but very quick) or have a radical technique that suits that car.

I just don't get the right feel to do that last bit almost flat as the Mars men can, it just spins or pushes on, weird.

Yeah James. I'd like to see your set up to mate. I'm not a great driver and really struggle with set ups. The one thing with these Megans is there's really not that much you can do but you can feel the difference in a small change. My trouble is I tend to go the wrong way or something.

Was in a Megane server today, sat there did my personal best time of a mid 1.3 at Sepang and was 7th! Leader was doing mid 1.01 .

I'm on the verge of a 102, but I think the key is getting on the gas without spinning it, easier said than done though.
I do like the Megane, but don't think much of the open wheelers as they drive like the tracks wet.
I rarely see anyone beat my Race07 F3000 times* at Brno and Zandvort, but in rfactor2, I'm useless.

*thx to G27.

It's a beta at this point, so I anticipate it'll get better as time goes on. I'm not too concerned at this stage.
Having said that, the Renaults (both series) are very, very bad at default settings. The cars are way too 'tail-happy'. I expected them to be better and much further along given the length of time RF2 was in development.
The other area of concern is the sound of the Meganes. It's very muted and somewhat 'clinical'. I actually like the Meganes in the original RF better.. I can't say I like them in RF2..
It's obvious, given some of the laps on youtube that these cars can be dialed in. I just think you should get good handling out of the box and then tweak settings for optimal.
Meganes are known for incredible grip, so when I see the back-end stepping out and coming around at 25 and 35 mph on a slow lap, I sit up and take notice.
The 60s racers are much better at default settings. Those are the only cars I'm driving at this stage until the rest get better or I have time to set them up properly.

Terry

Really good point mate, and exactly how I feel about the two Renault cars.

I do feel the 60's car is not far away as default, I only really run at Monaco and that track coz of the chicane is a bit of a lottery coz to run a quickie there you have to mess with danger at the chicane rather than leaving yourself a margin for error, but i have run a few 1.26 laps there which is ballpark quick.

I do feel though and have said on numerous occasions that maybw thw other two mods suit a certian style of driving, and if you always set your cars up the same you will fly in them. It is possible some people are using TC and stuff, but I doubt it.

The FR car has awful low speed grip and bad FFB low speed, it does improve as you go quicker, but again, I feel that car is just not setup properly default, either one of the settings is way off or the physics aren't quite right, at some turns on Sepang there literally is no grip, then it comes flying in like a rocket.

I have also noticed this in the Megane at Mills, just before the end of the lap there is a sort of high speed right and left that bring you out onto the straight. The grip in that right hander is totally different from the rest of the lap, you must be more cautious there and jockey it in.

This shows me two things, one is that the track physics might not be right and two that the FFB is superb to relay that to you.

finally got my thrustmaster wheel more or less dialled in so i can finally comment on physics, though having no experience in real life racing probably doesn't help. I am taking iRacing as the yardstick: when i installed that game some weeks ago, the physical and visual experience of actually being in a metal box connected to the road via four tires and buffetted by physical forces has never been so real in any other sim, except for maybe the original GTR Porsches and Richard Burns Rally. The Megane to me feels very much like the only racing machine I have ever steered in real life: Karts, very sudden, very abrupt. also I never really get this feel for moving on actuial tarmac, the elevation, the sensation of taking out speed from the turn onto the rumble strip and then onto the straight. Especially weird is the braking, where I felt no sensation of any forces on my wheel, just jumped into the brakes almost full barrell (do they have ABS in real life?), a move which would have sent my flying in any iRacing or Richard Burns ride, and never noticed much of a twitch on my wheel. The 60s racers I personally find even more difficult to gauge, because from the old film footage, they seem to compatre to nothing 99% on this forum have ever sat in. But I may be wrong. The Renault 3.5 I haven't tried yet. Oh and I was doing all this with all assists off of course on dry track at virtual Malaysia.

I don't rate it so hot at the moment. I heard it said that " difficulty does not equal realism". I agree, just because a dev has made a car very difficult to drive/control does not mean that it is more realistic. I really dont agree with that. I had not played Race 07 since the rF2 came out. Yesterday I fired Race 07 back up and was actualy blown away by how great it felt/played. I hope the rF2 at least can equal Race 07. Yes, I know, beta......... I have good hopes for the Sim though, I really see some good things. I for one like the fact that rF2 can give my hardware a workout. Right now though i suspect it is because of poorly optimized "code" or what ever.

Modern Touring Cars, fairly easy to drive

how on earth would i know? never even got close to the things. the fact that we do not see any newcomer clocking much the same time as yvan muller or rob huff rather seems to indicate that these are, like anything faster than a souped up family car, difficult to control in difficult situations, which real life racing is 98% of the time (else one wouldn't bother watching, one could also watch the cars go by on the motorway) there are indeed very few people out there who can control any racing car at top level, so any game really imitating the feel / physics would be bound to fail saleswise. i for one probably wouldn't enjoy it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back